Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 03-02-2012, 04:14 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer89 View Post
Not exactly a one-press switch, but you can still Win+Tab/whatever to switch between Metro apps and Desktop. Presumably Alt+Tab will be for switching between Desktop windows. Not sure why you find Win 8 Desktop to be uglier than Win 7 though. AFAIK the only differences are the Ribbon UI, different Start menu and some changes to the programs (Task Manager etc.) which means it looks pretty much the same.

I don't really think it's an extra, but more like they're trying to fit two interfaces together to hopefully appeal to both tablet and PC users. Whether it works or not will decide Win 9's direction I guess. As above, you can switch between a Metro app and a Desktop window fairly easily, provided your last used window is open on the Desktop. Otherwise you would still need to click from the taskbar, Alt+Tab etc.
Yeah! My thinking is that I'll use Metro on the go or when it's not attached to the dock. And when it's on the dock, I'll be using Win7 or a cross between the two. I really like the web browsing on Win8. I'll probably also be using a monitor/TV. I already do this a lot with my current laptop.

The new ribbon actually looks a heck of a lot easier to use IMO.

As far as the start menu, meh! I actually use the start button/menu a decent amount, but I like the new one because of how it's setup. Everything is sort of smack in your face. I think ppl don't like that it takes you to a full screen, IDK. Plus, anyways, you can get back the old start button/menu with a slight change to the registry.

So, I think a lot of the apprehensive Windows fans are making comments out of sheer ignorance and/or a fear of change. Everything in Windows 7 functions pretty much the same. They just made some minor - IMHO - touch friendly changes for ppl that don't want to use a mouse or keyboard in Win7. And, again, you can make it look exactly like Win7 by changing the registry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantJ View Post
Did you see my video on the way OSX Lion switches between full screen 'tablet mode' and windowed mode? I wish they'd just do that.
You can do windowing on Windows 7. I don't think they removed that feature. You just can't do the swipe thing that you did towards the end of your video.

Edit:
Actually if you have a mouse, you can click on the scroll wheel. It pretty much does the same function that you showed in your video. Sort of. Judging from my experiences and other people that I know that use Windows, we are tabbers.

------------------

More vids:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by GoofyJmaster.; 03-02-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

That looks amazing. I like how the features are intuitive on both laptop and tablets. As portable as tablets are, I don't think i would ever use one to replace a laptop with physical input.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:49 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

I'm using Win 8 on my laptop now, and Metro integrates with the Desktop better than I expected (although obviously not at the "optimal" level).

@DistantJ:

Didn't watch the video TBH. :/

But about that switching thing, you can switch between both Metro and Desktop apps/windows with Alt+Tab, and Metro apps only with Win+Tab.

@Goofy:

Yeah I had some reservations about having full-screen apps running but they're fine for the most part. Plus there's also the docking feature which is useful for messaging and such. Wish there was a quick way to change the docked app though (or maybe I'm missing something).
Old 03-03-2012, 01:56 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by B34$T View Post
That looks amazing. I like how the features are intuitive on both laptop and tablets. As portable as tablets are, I don't think i would ever use one to replace a laptop with physical input.
Well, the one truly great thing about tablets, especially one as capable as Slate 7, is versatility.

You can use it as a tablet with touch.

You can use it as a tablet with the Wacom pen. I actually see myself using one a big sheet of digital paper. Who knows?

You can put it in the dock, and it can be used as an 11" desktop. Or you can use the HDMI (or wifi) to connect it to a monitor/TV.

Or you can use it as a laptop. They make cheap keyboard cases. I can only assume we'll see more once Win8 is officially released. http://www.amazon.com/MiniSuit-ASUS-...ata/B00725FE20
http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Ke.../dp/B007A14D78
(these aren't for the Slate 7, but they're an idea of what to expect; hopefully)

@Phazer I'm downloading now! I kept procrastinating earlier this week.

Last edited by GoofyJmaster.; 03-03-2012 at 03:05 PM..