★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why has AppStore now decided to list apps by A-Z??!

03-05-2012, 12:47 PM
OMG I've never noticed this before. They really are sorted by alphabet. This is just terrible, what is Apple thinking
03-07-2012, 03:20 AM
It's been that way since *ever*

Afaik releases are batched; within batches alphabetical order rules and there are weird tricks that 'used to help' ensure you actually get some visibility in new releases (sometimes I check them for the categories I like, I hope I'm not the only one )

I took this into consideration when naming my first game but at the time I was very new to this stuff and much worried about getting initial momentum/visibility. Now... well there are lots of things I did to help gaining visibility, and I find it really difficult to decide what actually helped, other than making a decent game on the same premise you did ( ~almost~ zero budget, solo ).

I would worry about other ways the name is important nowadays, rather than play ascii games and release ::AAAwesomeApp::

There are things I will continue doing, like minimum spend (hundreds of $, not thousands) on advertisement (so that SOMEBODY notice we released a game).

Creator of Antistar: Rising (3D adventure) and Darwin's nightmare (vertical shooter)
Working on: Game Degree Zero, Project Spectral and The Belated Antistar Sequel.