★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Crowdfund your App or Game

09-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Cheers

Thanks for posting all that, that's really helpful.

For one of the projects I'm involved in we're really going for high production values. A lot of smooth animation and multiple environments. So I was thinking about crowd funding to help make sure we can meet our creative goals.

Cheers
Shaz

Play Yam Yam!
Download some great music for your game projects.
Official Site | Facebook | Twitter
09-10-2011, 05:46 PM
I hesitated very long (at least in my terms ), but now I decided to go live with our crowdfunding project on IndieGoGo instead of Ulule or Appbackr.

I still wait for Appbackr on the Appfigures vs iTunes Connect thing and Ulule lost due to less popularity.

So if you want, you can check our crowdfunding project here: Battle Mage Academy on IndieGoGo

If you even contribute, we are very thankful.

09-12-2011, 05:51 PM
My project was released on Appbackr.com and they said, they will work with Appfigures together to make things easier for developers.

Now the situation is a bit strange, because I don't want to look like a scammer trying to take money from everywhere, but I don't know what to do.
09-14-2011, 03:56 AM
Do you guys think it would be feasible to use crowd funding to pay for marketing of a game? Just wondering

Eye Cog Games: "Our mission is to create fun 2d games!"
Follow us on twitter & facebook
and/or read our blog
09-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Cog View Post
Do you guys think it would be feasible to use crowd funding to pay for marketing of a game? Just wondering
Structure your pitch and rewards right and crowd funding is possible for anything.

Ember Conflict name: Porthos
09-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Nice list. We're actually working on a kickstarter campaign right now - I'm editing our video. Hopefully we do well, good luck with yours!
09-15-2011, 01:59 PM
What I find mind blowing is just how many ppl will pay big bucks for a title on KickStarter. No actual ROI, just in-game rewards? Amazing stuff!

Twitter: @PeterBabiy
Site: www.strappedtoameteor.com
Games: Go Go Giraffe | DEO | Mr. Dreamer
03-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Have been tracking some Kickstarter iOS projects recently and it looks like a good approach to funding. Rather than asking a small amount of people to invest a lot of money, you're asking a lot of people to invest a small amount.

One common reward I see, though, is: "will be emailed a download code for the game on launch." — Anyone want to hazard a guess how they're doing this through iTunes? For several thousand backers this can't be easy (I'm not even sure it's possible…)
10-17-2015, 02:43 AM
Very interesting post....!! Crowdfund is a new technique of raising finance for your start-up. Using Crowdfund, members of the public can pool their resources to help you hit your fundraising target.
10-17-2015, 10:02 AM
My personal opinion on crowd funding is that it is wide open for abuse - unintentional or for unscrupulous people intentional.

Most Kick Starter projects fail to deliver on the promises… one high profile example is Godus by a well known developer. There are examples of people waiting for projects that never get delivered. Recently there was a developer that publicly stated that he knew the project would never be completed, knew the project was underfunded but took the money anyway.

Of course there have been examples of success - Shovel Knight springs to find.

Most developers thinking about doing this should think very carefully. If you are inexperienced at making games then asking for crowd funding is just asking for heaps of trouble because you will get the budget wrong. Even well known developers get it wrong and they have heaps of experience.

The point I'm making is that when a crowd funded project goes wrong you should be held accountable for excepting the money from the public. In it's present form the public are not protected. AND that is wrong and there should be a law passed to protect people.

As a developer myself and a very experienced one I would rather fail or succeed with my own money and only be accountable to myself. My conscience would feel better for it!

I'm not been harsh about crowd funding but if any developer decides to go down this route and they get crowd funded… then make sure you actually deliver a project because if you don't then you are basically a conman. As simple as that!