Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Developer
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Thanks for the input everyone...

It looks like FB & TW buttons might have some use when they actually help users to share something...

And I agree regarding the rating request... In our first app we have used rating request popup (waits for few actual plays & sessions) but I don't see it being very effective for us, except maybe annoying some users...

We'll probably switch to a simple "rate us" kind of a button for the next update & all future apps, but definitely won't use a popup request anymore... If they like it enough to rate the app, it'll just provide them to one click access to review page, that's all...
Old 03-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Developer
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Send a message via Skype™ to helioxfilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
@TouchDeveloper
You make a good point, but I don't see it that way.
If you provide something in-game for a tweet, I dont see it as a bribe or a nefarious incentive.
I see it as a simple trade: "I am a poor indie developer and have dont have the budget for a big ad campaign, so I will will give you something if you help me with marketing by using your social network to spread the word."
And with a free market philosphy, if a game is not very good and the rewards and not worth it, then people generally wont use it. So quality games with worthy awards will spread.
For example, in my new game, you collect gems with which you can unlock new characters. In addition, you can mention my game on twitter or facebook for a certain number of gems as a reward. But you dont need to. You can still unlock ALL content just by collecting gems in-game, but it will take you a bit longer.
Nobody loses and nobody is being exploited.
I fully agree with this short explanation. In my eyes it is a win-win situation.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helioxfilm View Post
I fully agree with this short explanation. In my eyes it is a win-win situation.
And therein lies the Prisoners Dilemma. It is win-win to a developer if only one developer (or a few) did it (i.e., pay for liking/tweeting) but if everyone (or a large number) did it, the developer community as a whole suffers more than if no one did it.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:50 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

We added Facebook and Twitter sharing of high scores and chapter completions to Froggies with our last update. Of the 15k players that have downloaded the update 1 person has tweeted their highscore and I don't think anyone has used the Facebook feature.

In my opinion without some sort of incentive for the player to share or tweet their score, it's almost pointless.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Developer
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggies View Post
We added Facebook and Twitter sharing of high scores and chapter completions to Froggies with our last update. Of the 15k players that have downloaded the update 1 person has tweeted their highscore and I don't think anyone has used the Facebook feature.
Thanks for the input, that's the kind of data I was looking for...
Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 PM

in my experience
0.73% of my users shared on facebook.

but the way i see it - those that did are 10x more valuable to me because

1) they promoted my app for free
2) i can contact and thank them for sharing. just the personal attention will make them loyal users

so i think it's worth it.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shariq View Post
in my experience
0.73% of my users shared on facebook.

but the way i see it - those that did are 10x more valuable to me because

1) they promoted my app for free
2) i can contact and thank them for sharing. just the personal attention will make them loyal users

so i think it's worth it.
Interesting stats, in other words less than 1% of users actually bother to share their achievements or interest in a game through SNS.

Possibly the genre makes a difference? Social games might have a bigger chance of being FB'ed or TW'ed?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I've added the Facebook sharing option, I think it isn't that hard to implement and can give you some free marketing in return.

In my game's Android version, I've even unlocked a new game mode for those who liked my Facebook fan page, and got about 500 new likes in 24 hours!
I think that once the game gets a critical mass the Facebook sharing will be more effective.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

I've added Twitter score sharing in the latest version of Eve of Impact. The idea is that the game has a really cool end scene where the world is engulfed in flame. Since iOS 5 allows Twitter messages with images I capture a random screen from the end game sequence and tie this to the twitter message.

It looks cool and people might get a first impression of what the game is about..