Support our Sponsors:

Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Default iCade MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFox View Post
Just finished my iCade-mod and wanted to share it with you guys.
How did you wire up the new buttons? Do they just duplicate the function of four of the existing buttons or are there open connections left on the wireless interface?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboy72 View Post
How did you wire up the new buttons? Do they just duplicate the function of four of the existing buttons or are there open connections left on the wireless interface?
I wired the four new buttons to four of the existing ones

greetings

MJFox
Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Parts upgrade

Parts finally arrived yesterday. Finished the mods today, and whoa, what a difference. Locked the stick to fourway and all my favorites feel just like a real arcade machine.

Wanted to share a few things with anyone that hasn't done this yet.

Bought the sanwa stick with the plate, as i couldn't find the one without it. When I went to mount it on the control plate, one of the screws would not catch. After looking closer at it I saw that the tin hex screw receptor was not seated as far as it would go. Took the joystick apart, and pushed the little hex nut as far as it would go with a drill bit and re-assembled stick. Screws now fit perfectly.

Bought the 20 gram buttons and found 2 of them to not respond to heavy pressure. Not sure what would cause this, but after a short break in time, they seem to be fine now.

These 20gram sanwa buttons also use a smaller, thinner connector than the old switches. A bit of a gentle squeezing with a pair of pliers before sliding the old connectors onto the new switches closed the connection enough to give them a firm grip.

Scratched my head a few times trying to figure out why there were 5 extra screws when i was done. Finally realized that I used the 4 new screws that came with the new stick, and had missed a single screw in the deep inset of the unit.

Overall, I am super impressed with the difference between the standard parts and the replacements. Anyone considering this mod should not think twice about it.

I'm definitly going to build a dual stick cabinet for Robotron and possibly a third cab with a spinner setup for some serious Tempest action.

Today will be spent trying to convert roms to work with imame.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:09 PM
iPad 2, iOS 4.x

Im adding a 12" 4:3 screen on the cabinet and using my old laptop motherboard.

[url]http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150557186032047.371112.523527046[/url]

Now the main problem is my old laptop is too slow to run new mame. Celeron 400mhz....

Next step: Replace all button and stick with Sanwa
Old 03-05-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHerm View Post
Ok guys, I got my stuff today and went right away into the action
My background: none! I never modded anything and I am not handy with tools at all. So you can be assured, if I am able to do this, everybody can. I'd like to give you a detailed guide nonetheless so no one needs to be afraid of "surprises"

[...]
New here. Hi

First things first, you have my admiration for this guide. As like as you, I'm not into wiring&co. at all, so thanks for guiding me in my future iCade mod. I'm thrilled! And urged by need, as I really want to play with less clicking everywhere...

I was thinking to use the same parts as you did, though I have a couple of queries, if you don't mind.

1 - Buttons noise: I mostly play at night, when the rest of the family is usually asleep. Don't want to wake babies up by playing GnG, for sure!
The iCade ones are a pain in the... ears. To which extent are your new buttons less noisy? I assume they are still clicking, yes?

2 - Stick noise: basically, same questions as the buttons' one. How's the noise of your new stick?

3 - I see you new white stick still has a square hole in the base, whereas I'd like an octagonal one. Is this easily replaceable?

4 - Last one. I live in IT and do not have easy access to these peculiar parts. I see you're from DE. Where did you buy all this stuff? (shipping times are definitely crucial when the monkey rages on your back )

Thanks in advance and coin on!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Hi valendast!
Thanks for your comment. I can only recommend to take the plunge and do it. It's a huge improvement over the stock parts and is a lot of fun to do.
As to your questions:
1. The sanwa buttons are way less noisy. I had the same problem as you: I barely could play while others were sleeping because of the click noise of the stock buttons. The problem is completely solved with the new buttons.
2. Same with the stick. Not only is it more quite, it is way more precise to control.
3. I ordered a octogonal restrictor gate as well. The replacement is extremely easy and only a matter of 30 seconds or so.
4. I ordered everything at arcadeshop.de which I can only recommend. There is a English version of the shop available so I expect that you order there as well if you don't find a shop locally.

Have fun,
Cheers
Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHerm View Post
Hi valendast!
Thanks for your comment. I can only recommend to take the plunge and do it. It's a huge improvement over the stock parts and is a lot of fun to do.
As to your questions:

[...]
That's great to hear. And thanks for the shop name, I'll definitely go for it.
I'll post some pics when I'm done pimping my icade!

Ciao!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I'm thinking about putting some 24mm sanwa's. Do you think they'll fit without resizing the hole?

[URL="http://www.lizardlick.com/Sanwa-24mm-Screw-In-Buttons_c_173.html"]http://www.lizardlick.com/Sanwa-24mm-Screw-In-Buttons_c_173.html[/URL]
Old 03-25-2012, 08:21 AM

And... done

Thanks u all for the precious tips.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by valendast View Post
And... done
looks great!