Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-13-2012, 01:02 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Minotaur Maze (roguelike)

Old 03-13-2012, 01:48 AM
iPad mini

Looks to me like this one could go either way. However, its been a while since I got a new roguelike so I'm game for this at 0.99.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I'm the developer of this app, and would love to take in any feedback. A fix for the iPad 3 display issue should be available shortly, after which I can start working on a content update.

Thanks for taking a look!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM
iPad mini

I'm enjoying the game. It's simple to pick up and play, and fun. My biggest worry coming in was that the IAP would ruin it. However, since you can accumulate the same gold bought through IAP fairly quickly (and it carries over from game to game), it really isn't much of an issue (okay, yes someone could buy their way onto the leaderboard, and if they felt like spending enough they could get a score unmatchable without IAP or a tremendous time investment to save up for a single run, but I'm not too worried about it).

The game is a streamlined, simplified roguelike. Some will like it for those reasons, purists may scoff at the lack of depth in the character development/stats, lack of a hunger/food system, etc. Adding a hunger system (hardcore mode or something) could be a good thing since currently you can sort of run around and evade creatures when you are too weak to fight them (they can't ever catch up since they have 4 directional movement while you have 8). However, since you usually start far weaker than the enemies, it's almost a necessary strategy (my first character was something like "weak, clumsy, frail", and died after one blow ).

My main suggestion would be to add more gear. Currently you just have 4 items I think (unless I just need to get farther) and once you collect them all, there's not much excitement in exploring. I would really like to see a skill system too, but maybe that would detract from the simplicity you're going for (maybe just have skills done randomly like everything else?).
Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Thanks for the feedback, Royce. There are definitely some things on the roadmap I'd like to implement, and I like your idea about adding skills -- I'm thinking rogue skills with a sneak and lockpicking ability, together with an expanded list of chest-only treasures in locked chests.

I'm also considering a Hardcore mode that would remove that last advantage Hero has over his enemies (diagonal movement), or perhaps enabling that with the "Heroic" Hero setting. Not sure about a food system, I think that gets a little fiddly. Early roguelikes (even Akalabeth and Ultima I) had a punishing food system; it was like an early version of the "Press X not to die" mechanic" .

I think there's a lot you can do even in a simple (on the surface) game, but there are also some things I'd like to do in a Minotaur Maze 2 if I get the chance to make one.

Thanks for playing, tell your friends, and leave a review at the App Store. I appreciate it.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

"Minotaur Maze" version 1.0.1 is now live in the App Store. It corrects a new iPad Retina display issue and adds three new potions to the loot store.

I have another bugfix release in the pipeline, then I can work on some content updates.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin

purchased and will try out later today. i love a good roguelike.