Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
But, I'm not the typical hardcore console gamer. I'm 34, work with computers all day and simply don't have the time to play 50+ hour games at home. The medium sized iPhone games fit better, cost less and I can play them whenever I want.
Exactly ! Lots of my friends have old computers/lots of old games on their shelves, i havent got room for that anymore, wife/baby etc so used emulators, takes up much less space

As i said with a family i havent got time to plug in some console and have a few hours on some epic RPG. Instead iOS gaming is perfect for me fitting in a few games here and there where i can. Just perfect
Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Most of the people saying the consoles will not lose are using FPS games as examples. Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. There is much more to gaming than these generic no-brains-required shooting games.

iOS games are much more creative than X360/PS3 games. My Xbox is collecting dust in my living room, but I play on my iPhone every single day. I have a great backlog of iOS games yet to play, and no game on the Xbox appeal to me.

I had a lot more fun playing Sword & Sworcery than Modern Warfare 3. I want an iPad 3 + AppleTV just to play good games on my TV.

I will probably never buy a new game console, but I'll keep buying new iPads every couple years.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Exactly ! Lots of my friends have old computers/lots of old games on their shelves, i havent got room for that anymore, wife/baby etc so used emulators, takes up much less space

As i said with a family i havent got time to plug in some console and have a few hours on some epic RPG. Instead iOS gaming is perfect for me fitting in a few games here and there where i can. Just perfect
I think it's not only due to the time. I like Mass Effect and it takes hours as long as watch a tv serials to play.
So I'm a so-called hardcore gamer, I'd also like racing games on IOS. I don't like racing genre that much, but I'd also want take a taste of it.
In this situation, IOS is much cheaper and convenient, I got asphalt 6 for free and shared the account with my friend, and I can take my IOS device with me and play it with my friends head to head.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumaz1000 View Post
I think he's trying to argue that the iPad 3 will be a better dedicated gamer device then a 360 or Ps3.

If he is, I'm pretty much speechless. Pretzel logic like that doesn't even warrant a legitimate response.

Nothing to see here, people (except for perhaps delusionals of grandeur)
Move it along
Nailed it.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighi View Post
Most of the people saying the consoles will not lose are using FPS games as examples. Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. There is much more to gaming than these generic no-brains-required shooting games.

iOS games are much more creative than X360/PS3 games. My Xbox is collecting dust in my living room, but I play on my iPhone every single day. I have a great backlog of iOS games yet to play, and no game on the Xbox appeal to me.

I had a lot more fun playing Sword & Sworcery than Modern Warfare 3. I want an iPad 3 + AppleTV just to play good games on my TV.

I will probably never buy a new game console, but I'll keep buying new iPads every couple years.
When I mentioned Battlefield and COD, it wasn't in reference to game quality or creativity. COD is one of the biggest money makers in the entire industry, and that makes it relevant to a discussion about the present and future states of the respective gaming platforms.

Without an enormous influx of those kinds of gamers spending that kind of money, we'll be mostly left hanging by big studios on iOS.

But lets be clear about what the actual argument is about in the first place. This is a thread suggesting that a dedicated gaming console may do no better than an iPad 3. The only way to approach that kind of general statement is from a general perspective - and I listed my thoughts on that already.

For you personally, it seems like iOS is already far better than any dedicated console anyway, but I would think you're probably not the typical bulk of the gaming industry.

I also love iOS gaming. I've lost count of the number of games on iOS that have had me hooked for numbers of hours easily equalling a lot of things I've played on console.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Señor Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

In many ways the iPad 3 will be a better gaming platform than a console for some people. Not for me, but I can understand why some people would prefer it. Graphics, story and longevity are meaningless to some gamers, even though they are probably in the minority.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
In many ways the iPad 3 will be a better gaming platform than a console for some people. Not for me, but I can understand why some people would prefer it. Graphics, story and longevity are meaningless to some gamers, even though they are probably in the minority.
how about games like chaos rings 2?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

There is no denying that the iPad 3 is a great piece of kit, no quite upto Xbox and PS3 but I would say surpasses the Wii. Most hardcore gamers will still use the traditional consoles to play their games. But for anyone who has to work / has got family commitments and has got no time to sit for hours in front of the tv to complete the game then I would say the iPad 3 is viable alternative. Plenty of good exclusives and creative games are available on the AppStore
Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

A good topic and the fact that the question is being asked could mean peoples attitudes are changing.Also i believe touch controls are better when using touch screen devices,the brilliant Waking Mars is prove enough of that and hopefully will encourage other devs to put some serious thought to the controls of these screens.Most pc owners i know think control pads for fp shooters are terrible but console owners think pads are ok,so really it comes down to attitudes and which of us can adapt.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captive View Post
A good topic and the fact that the question is being asked could mean peoples attitudes are changing.Also i believe touch controls are better when using touch screen devices,the brilliant Waking Mars is prove enough of that and hopefully will encourage other devs to put some serious thought to the controls of these screens.Most pc owners i know think control pads for fp shooters are terrible but console owners think pads are ok,so really it comes down to attitudes and which of us can adapt.
yup, I can't agree with all of your words.
Some hard-core gamers can't accept mobile device be better than consoles or handheld in some fields of games.
the IOS app is so cheap, and the device is even not mainly for gaming purpose. They can't accept the truth. The emotions they devoted into so-called traditional gaming blind their eyes.
they claim IOS is just for five minutes and only for casual gamer. But just face the truth, I am a so-called hardcore gamer, I don't like angry birds at all.
But there is no game on console or handheld could compete with waking mars in their genre, even not come close.
it's funny to see cheap game did a better job, but it just happened.
I don't think destinia or zenonia 3 & 4 are AAA games, with IAP problems they are even not good games in another view. but in this action rpg top down 2D genre, there is not much things could come close to them, no matter on xbox 360 or PC.
and it's even not suit to touch control, but it just happened. it's the truth.

Last edited by klarence; 03-22-2012 at 04:08 AM..

Closed Thread