Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Developer
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I played guns and glory. I don't know, it didn't sit that well with me. I had a hard time mentally keeping track of where all my little tiny guys were at. It was a good try at a different concept but you're right, it did kind of get annoying being forced to constantly shift your guys around. I am starting to be keen on the ability to move turrets but I want it to be an occasional thing for strategic planning, not move all your guys around the map constantly.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Developer
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Any other Likes/Dislikes about Tower Defense games? I've got a great list started and could really use some more input.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

only other thing that comes to mind is great effects, both visual and auditory. also little things like swaying background grass/trees, water moving, maybe an occasional bird flying by, or birds fleeing from a tree when the first kaboom goes off just stuff to draw you into a little world.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

First of all, I can't believe people are recommending GeoDefense for graphics. The vector graphics thing is cheap, lazy, and played out. Don't try to replicate that.

Second, play Kingdom Rush, iBomber Defense, and Sentinel 3 to see tower defense games with depth. You shouldn't copy any of these, but you should try to accomplish at least that amount of depth. I like persistent upgrades and the perks introduced in iBomber are just great.

Third, however you do it, don't make just "another tower defense game" or you won't be successful.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:14 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post
First of all, I can't believe people are recommending GeoDefense for graphics. The vector graphics thing is cheap, lazy, and played out. Don't try to replicate that.
Well I'm recommending Geo Defence for classic tower defence gameplay done right. There's few games that I repeat played over and over but Geo defence was one of them.

Add the original Dekstop Tower Defence to that list.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 AM
iPad

Sound is a very important aspect to draw me in. And I don't mean background music, but sound effects for towers firing or charging or whatever, enemies moving and dieing, etc.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I dont think vector graphics are lazy at all, when done right they look stunning and make some 'average' games look brilliant. Vector graphics have always been popular throughout the years, at the end of the day its about the gameplay. Vectors are crisp and look great, as long as the gameplay is great i dont really mind to be honest.

But again gameplay is key, dont go for some crazy control method which you might think is great, think of the actual players themselves.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Developer
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

To be honest, GeoDefense seems like a solid TD game but hasn't bowled me over yet. Games like GeoDefense and Desktop Tower Defense are great only because of the gameplay. The graphics are simple and don't get in the way of the game. I understand your concerns. Charred Dirt Defense will be attractive graphically to lure people in to play but I definitely like deeper gameplay. I know being challenged to come up with new strategies is what really gets me hooked on a game. I think the HEB elemental damage system and the ability to move and terrain height/range modifiers are going to be enough to keep people hooked. I've got lots more in store as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:34 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

geodefense and the sequel were both great games, i'm typically not a vector lover, but those two games presented them perfectly i think. perhaps my preference for the genre had a big impact on that perception. I just wish they took the time to make it universal, i think there's a ton of gamers out there that haven't played it, and would love to if it came out on the ipad.

when i started with ios gaming i only had the ipod touch, but since getting the ipad i don't bother buying any iphone/ipod only games, can't stand the small size anymore, or the pixelated look on the ipad.

in any case, i'll second the ibomber td games as pure hotness, love the sound effects and art in those games, plus everything just feels so liquid smooth. in general i love anything WW2 themed.

which reminds me, please make the art in a manner so that enemies taking 90 degree turns don't do so in one frame, that 'tron bike' effect is so annoying in all td games i think.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Developer
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I know what you mean about the tron bike effect. I had thought about putting interim sprites in on the apex of the turn but I realized that my enemy sprites would go from having to draw each a two different angles to drawing them from 5 different angles. That's an extra 150% more artwork needed. I'd really like to put it in but I have to be realistic with how much I can handle.

I may have to check out the Bomber Defense game if you say its that good.