03-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Yup, Storm Strikers got my vote. Its been basically impossible for me to pull myself away from this to try and check out all the other new games I've bought in the last couple weeks.
Yeah, I voted for Storm Strikers too, although I've also been putting time into Adventure Bar Story. The other game I've been playing a lot is New Star Soccer.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
03-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Just wanted to give you guys an update about the lite version. It's been rejected by Apple again, working on updating it to their liking today so the lite version probably won't be ready until end of this week or next week. Honestly sometimes the arbitrary and obscure submission rules makes me want to smash my keyboard.

Founder of Doragon Entertainment
Official Facebook page
Twitter feed
Development blog

03-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Game Center Weirdness?

Is it just me, or is anyone else having issues with their local high scores showing on Game Center? Got a fairly high score on Normal with an unlocked ship (Senko), and it insists that my third highest score is still my highest on Game Center...
03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Nevermind! Today I'm that jerk that didn't bother to read all the posts. I saw the post about Sunny knowing, and a patch being forthcoming...YAY!
03-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I may have found a quick fix for the score/game center issue. It would seem that if, after you rack up a high score with an unlocked ship, you use one of the original ships to play, it seems to push through your high score from the unlocked ship...I've gotten it to work twice.
03-15-2012, 05:08 PM
patch 1.1 is now live and will fix the gamecenter score bug. The next patch will bring improvements such as laser/bullet visibility and more planes!

Founder of Doragon Entertainment
Official Facebook page
Twitter feed
Development blog
03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
nice, thank you for the update. I'm pretty excited to start score chasing. =oD

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Dragon Hills, Devious Dungeon 2, Attack The Light, Incoboto, Bring Me Sandwiches!!
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;: syntheticvoid
:;:CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:;: Autechre, Download, Integral
03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
patch 1.1 is now live and will fix the gamecenter score bug. The next patch will bring improvements such as laser/bullet visibility and more planes!
Thanks!

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?
03-16-2012, 11:14 AM
What synth and Tops said.
03-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Finally decided to pick up some non-Cave non-Taito shooters for my iPad.

Storm Strikers feels pretty legit as a shooter, I think. It's fast paced, flashy, pretty enjoyable. But it has a few major issues. Hope you don't mind if I leave some feedback here.

Ship variety: I'm just using the default ship (Monsoon) with the red spread shot - tried a few others and they were mostly mediocre. The ships with narrower shots don't actually have enough extra firepower at point-blank range to make them worth using. The T-21-99 with "1" spread actually has a wider base shot and this, plus its special, ironically makes it more useful at zero power than the XF-135 and F/A-220.

Powerups: Why does my power drop to zero when I die? This isn't Gradius; the difficulty doesn't scale down if you have fewer powerups. At least drop a powerup or two, and/or decrease the power level by one instead. The narrow shot of the XF-135 and F/A-220 is worthless at zero.

Bombs: Are almost worthless. I've run into a laser, bombed, and used a second bomb all in a few seconds. There's no worthwhile screen clearing time and no invincibility period, not even with manual bombing.

Lasers: They're missing a warning sound effect. The delay before firing on a lot of the boss lasers feels far too short. There are definitely other shmups with fast firing lasers, but usually they're not accompanied by so many bullets, or else they're better telegraphed and you have more time to dodge bullets and get out of the way.

Boss(es): Move around like a manic who's missed a few doses of lithium and then dump lasers on you while bullets are still on screen (see last point on Lasers). Haven't gotten past the second boss on Extreme so can't comment beyond that. This just feels cheap, and it's probably driving your casual players nuts.

Regular enemies: I think the basic enemies (the little planes) should be one-shot kills tbh, the extra life that they have feels too much like a Euro-shmup, but the flooding of the screen with enemies feels like an Eastern shmup.

Scoring: The gigantic circle is incredibly generous. Maybe too generous?

Sounds: My ship has the most quiet guns in the world. Regular explosions sound flat and uninteresting.

Music: The first stage BGM is a little too short, it almost always seems to loop just before I hit the boss. And maybe I'm not paying enough attention but isn't the Stage 2 BGM the same as the Stage 1 BGM... I don't make it to stage 3 too often, so personally I'd rather hear different music for stage 2, at least.

Graphics: Everything looks nice, but is there some kind of theme to the game? A story? Are the levels anything more than a bunch of ships being thrown at the player?

Difficulty scaling: Difficulty is fairly manageable in Stages 1 & 2, lasers aside. But I tried dropping down to Hard/Normal for a game or two, and the bullets still feel pretty fast, only fewer in number. The lasers are still there. Didn't feel like all that much of a drop. Even on Extreme, the lasers are harder to dodge than the bullet patterns, which I think is kinda silly.

Overall I'd say I'm enjoying the game and it's been worth the $2. But it's missing that extra oomph to make it awesome. There's little to no incentive to purchase IAP (not that I like IAP, but...) and I feel like the game is trying real hard to be both accessible and balls-to-the-wall difficult, but can't figure out how to balance the two.

Last edited by pentarou; 03-20-2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Spent some more time with the game. Updated my post accordingly. -pent