Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

This looks very much like a revamp of one of my fave games from my old nokia. That was also promised sequels but i never managed to find any.

This is on my to buy list
Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

It looks interesting. I must try it
Old 03-15-2012, 07:21 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
and whats the iap cost?
The IAP is like many of the G5 published titles: a one time fee to unlock the full game for $4.99 USD. You get to play through the first part of the game for free. I didn't get in much time with it before going to bed last night but it's pretty standard adventure fare so far: lots of dialog, find the foozle missions, voice overs ranging from not quite cringe inducing to pretty good.

The set up is very "Lost" and the writing seems good.

I'm going to play through the free portion before making up my mind.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Naturally, the free portion comes to an end right as you reach a point where the story starts to open up a bit. I went ahead and bought the unlock since, as the poster above me notes, it plays a bit like a freemium title but without the freemium element of waiting around, seems an interesting full circle for game design: the original freemium games came about by modifying strategy builder elements, and now we see a lightweight adventure strategy game modifying those freemium elements into a non-freemium model.

Without spoiling anything too much, I was completely expecting a consumable currency sales pitch as I finally met the dude who sells me inventory and tool upgrades for the island currency of pearls and... nope. He just hinted the most efficient way to earn lots of pearls to afford his upgrades, nice.

I'm not sure how much game is here since everything seems so fast paced so far but it's certainly different enough than most of the iOS fare.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Really looking forward to this. The PC version got 4 stars on Gamezebo.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:29 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

I like it. It is a total revamp of an old symbian game i loved. The game mechanics are slightly different and some content has been added/some removed, but the storyline is exactly the same. it is a sort of sim castaway crossed with LOST. there is a mysterious storyline to follow while doing the quests.
Its not fantastic graphically but it has gameplay, you need to collect and store and fish and hunt and grow vegetables.

One thing I really liked about the original which seem to have been removed from the iphone version was the night and day mechanics and for the hunting and fishing there were a large list of different types of fish and animals, some which were nocturnal and some which appeared only in specific locations, so you had also the challenge of trying to hunt and fish all the different types. I hope they will re-implement that in an update.

There is one issue that I found rather annoying, It can be very difficult if not impossible to get out of some of the caves. One in particular in episode 4 I just could not exit after going in, playing this on an iphone 4S if that matters. I actually had to edit my save file and move my position in there to be able to exit the cave.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionwebs View Post
Is there any impressions people have past the free portion of this game? As of yet I am personally still unconvinced but remain interested...
I'm also on the fence on whether or not to advance beyond the free part. I don't wanna regret the $5 if the game is too short or gets monotonous. I like what I've played so far though, I may just cave in and buy it...
Old 03-15-2012, 08:25 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooptalian View Post
I'm also on the fence on whether or not to advance beyond the free part. I don't wanna regret the $5 if the game is too short or gets monotonous. I like what I've played so far though, I may just cave in and buy it...
It's not too monotonous, the goals for the missions change up enough, but it may be too short. I'm guesstimating here, but based on where I seem to be in the story progression, how much of the map I've uncovered, how many "secret" statues I've found, trophies earned, etc., I'd say there's probably not more than 6-8 hours of content here if you're just looking to play through the story, maybe not even that much depending on how you attack it. Finding everything and fully leveling up the trophies will extend things a little more, but it still doesn't look like there's more than a couple of evenings worth of playing here.

So, abstractly, sure $5 is a decent exchange, but compared to other iOS titles it's probably more of a $2-$3 title. Although you do have to consider that it's got voice acting throughout the story, which although they don't exactly have tier one voice actors on board, is unusual for mobile titles.

So far, it's not the greatest game I've played on iOS, nor the best value, but I'm not regretting buying the full game and the fact that I know I'll be able to delete in by this time next week and free up some space is actually a positive in my book.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Yup, about 6 to 8 hours here, maybe more, maybe less, didn't use a stopwatch Started yesterday morning and just finished up with 100% achievements.

Not the best value I've gotten in the app store, and the game was a little rough around the edges, but also one of the more solid adventure stories I've seen on iOS. Writing was solid most of the time, and occasionally even good, although it had its issues, but for something that originated as a Russian game, a good job. The story structure worked, albeit not perfectly (among the odd choices was showing exactly where everything was heading for the penultimate act in the opening scene). Some of the voice acting was very good, some was flat, and some was down right bad (whoever voiced Nick, I'm looking at you).

Things never got too repetitive and they nailed the interface with the exception of the game not wanting to register you trying to click on a boar when hunting, but that was reasonably minor, particularly once you get the tier 3 bow. Like a lot of these adventure games, it still amounted to more of an interactive story book than a game, but that goes with the genre. You can't die, you can't fail, you can only not progress for a while because you need to find some of this and some of that. No puzzles to speak of, and if there was a place where you would actually need to pull in some bit of information from earlier in the story, the game usually dropped you an obvious hint. If the game has any real weakness it's that there was never any real challenge.

Without spoiling anything majorly, the ending makes clear a sequel is planned.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default Stuck in the cave, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubes View Post
I like it. It is a total revamp of an old symbian game i loved. The game mechanics are slightly different and some content has been added/some removed, but the storyline is exactly the same. it is a sort of sim castaway crossed with LOST. there is a mysterious storyline to follow while doing the quests.
Its not fantastic graphically but it has gameplay, you need to collect and store and fish and hunt and grow vegetables.

One thing I really liked about the original which seem to have been removed from the iphone version was the night and day mechanics and for the hunting and fishing there were a large list of different types of fish and animals, some which were nocturnal and some which appeared only in specific locations, so you had also the challenge of trying to hunt and fish all the different types. I hope they will re-implement that in an update.

There is one issue that I found rather annoying, It can be very difficult if not impossible to get out of some of the caves. One in particular in episode 4 I just could not exit after going in, playing this on an iphone 4S if that matters. I actually had to edit my save file and move my position in there to be able to exit the cave.
My wife has been playing this game for a few days, and enjoying it quite a lot, but she seems to have run up against the same issue in the latter part of the game, as she was searching for the last of the missing statues.

She went into a cave, and now the characters is stuck in place. He simply will not move at all. I'm not sure at all about doing an edit of the save file !!! Is there anyone who has had this problem, and has been able to resolve it ?

My next step will be to try and contact the devs, since this seems to be a pretty big bug in the game, but I thought I'd ask here first, since this always the best source of useful info, and where the most knowledgeable people hang out.

Thanks for any help, hints and suggestions.