Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 AM
Filing Cabinet Filing Cabinet is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 995
Default

wow, the worst kind of IAP implementation.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Ayjona Ayjona is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,406
Default

What a waste of a game. I could very well pay 13 dollars for a good iOS game (and have already spent more or similarly much on a single game, with a clear conscience, for FFT and SC, as well as utility apps soch as Music Studio, Documents To Go Premium, Tabtoolkit, Guitartoolkit, AmpliTube, iTeleport, etc.), but with the current model, price is not the issue for me. I'm not at all convinced Zombie Panic is worth 13 dollars, or even 5 or 3, but the real downer is the fact that story mode doesn't seem to lead to any unlocks, and thus no sense of progression beyond the actual story.

I actually don't mind many freemium schemes and consumable IAP. I just avoid them, and the game is all the more challenging and rewarding for it. Since the best freemium games feature ways to earn the IAP currency in-game, I only find it all the more interesting, since earning the currency adds another layer of progression and goals to strive towards.

But this, Zombie Panic in Wonderland, is where IAP gets bad: when devs remove unlockable elements/progression from the iOS port of a game, only to include them as IAP ONLY. This is almost as bad as competitive freemium multiplayer games with IAP that offers a competitive advantage (which is always the worst form of IAP, to my mind).

Last edited by Ayjona; 03-08-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
WCFields WCFields is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
What a waste of a game. I could very well pay 13 dollars for a good iOS game (and have already spent more or similarly much on a single game, with a clear conscience, for FFT and SC, as well as utility apps soch as Music Studio, Documents To Go Premium, Tabtoolkit, Guitartoolkit, AmpliTube, iTeleport, etc.), but with the current model, price is not the issue for me. I'm not at all convinced Zombie Panic is worth 13 dollars, or even 5 or 3, but the real downer is the fact that story mode doesn't seem to lead to any unlocks, and thus no sense of progression beyond the actual story.

I actually don't mind many freemium schemes and consumable IAP. I just avoid them, and the game is all the more challenging and rewarding for it. Since the best freemium games feature ways to earn the IAP currency in-game, I only find it all the more interesting, since earning the currency adds another layer of progression and goals to strive towards.

But this, Zombie Panic in Wonderland, is where IAP gets bad: when devs remove unlockable elements/progression from the iOS port of a game, only to include them as IAP ONLY. This is almost as bad as competitive freemium multiplayer games with IAP that offers a competitive advantage (which is always the worst form of IAP, to my mind).
+1 i think that the worst is yet to come for ios gamers on this subject.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
GeekyDad GeekyDad is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,173
Default

Haven't played it in a while, but if they changed it to force IAP, I'm gonna be pissed after having paid for the game. ZPR did the same ****. It's almost a bait & switch for people who paid for these apps, which under U.S. law is still illegal.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
In Time-Out
iPhone 4S
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyDad View Post
Haven't played it in a while, but if they changed it to force IAP, I'm gonna be pissed after having paid for the game. ZPR did the same ****. It's almost a bait & switch for people who paid for these apps, which under U.S. law is still illegal.
Hasn't this game always been free? Not that it matters to me. I'm not bitting with as much IAP shenanigans as it throws at you.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-08-2012, 09:39 PM
GeekyDad GeekyDad is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Hasn't this game always been free? Not that it matters to me. I'm not bitting with as much IAP shenanigans as it throws at you.
Nope, and honestly, I don't mind IAP even in a paid game. An IAP difficulty wall, though, is horse****, and when it's implemented in a game you paid for once it goes free, it's a slap in the face to folks who paid for it. That's why a lot of these developers have trouble garnering a true following. They don't respect their customers, which makes it impossible to nurture a fan base.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-08-2012, 10:01 PM
DodgerBlue016 DodgerBlue016 is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (4th Gen)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Here
Posts: 1,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyDad View Post
Nope, and honestly, I don't mind IAP even in a paid game. An IAP difficulty wall, though, is horse****, and when it's implemented in a game you paid for once it goes free, it's a slap in the face to folks who paid for it. That's why a lot of these developers have trouble garnering a true following. They don't respect their customers, which makes it impossible to nurture a fan base.
On iOS it's always been a free game, with the the iAPs in it BECAUSE it's free (freemium) It was released like a week or two ago. Unless it was released before or you're thinking of a different game (zombie wonderland?), I dunno...

Though I will agree when it happens (paid game goes freemium) it annoys the heck out of me too. I just don't think this is one of those times...
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Pupi Pupi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Default

Combo Bonus X2 (Affects leaderboard scores) -> $0.99

This, honestly, kills the game for me. I was going to hold off on buying the game until survival mode came out, but I am definitely not going to spend a buck on the game so my high score doubles. That is insane and makes the leader board for this game meaningless.

It's sad because I want to like this game, but tokens to double your score are crazy.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent