Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 03-10-2012, 07:49 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 4.x

My biggest gripe with the game:

I don't like that I have no knowledge of the level, before I have to choose my abilities. That seems unfair and a waste of my time. I have to lose and try the game a bunch of times to get the order of the abilities right? This seems more like work, than fun.

If you just let me choose my abilities on the fly, it'll be more of a game about skill and acting in real-time to the challenges before me. That feels more like fun. Not being psychic shouldn't be punished.

It's this simple hurdle that made me put down the game. Gameplay is paramount. If you can get that handled, THEN you should worry about adding bonus things like a relatable character or interesting graphics/animations. At this point I think there are some serious flaws in the gameplay itself.

Good luck with your iterations!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 PM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_loqheart View Post
My biggest gripe with the game:

I don't like that I have no knowledge of the level, before I have to choose my abilities. That seems unfair and a waste of my time. I have to lose and try the game a bunch of times to get the order of the abilities right? This seems more like work, than fun.

If you just let me choose my abilities on the fly, it'll be more of a game about skill and acting in real-time to the challenges before me. That feels more like fun. Not being psychic shouldn't be punished.

It's this simple hurdle that made me put down the game. Gameplay is paramount. If you can get that handled, THEN you should worry about adding bonus things like a relatable character or interesting graphics/animations. At this point I think there are some serious flaws in the gameplay itself.

Good luck with your iterations!
I'm aiming to fix this on the next release, I'll be writing a post about it shortly.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:59 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 4.x

I gave this a try this morning and thought I'd share my thoughts on it, in case they're helpful. Overall I liked the graphics and the general idea of the game and puzzles. I think that you could spend more time teaching users how to play your game... Not just a short tutorial separate from the game but walking the user through how to play the game on the levels themselves. A much less steep difficulty ram would really help pull users into your game.

Right now the ramp is pretty steep... and the fact that your defeat screens make fun of the user for sucking at the game don't earn you a lot of good will. (Just my opinion. Obviously someone posted earlier that they really like the comments. But when I lose a level due to poor controls or not understanding how the game works because it wasn't fully explained, I find that snarky comments telling me I'm lame aren't all that welcome.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_loqheart View Post
I don't like that I have no knowledge of the level, before I have to choose my abilities... If you just let me choose my abilities on the fly, it'll be more of a game about skill and acting in real-time to the challenges before me.
There actually is a way to see the entire level before you choose items - the Zoom button - but it's hidden out of the way. If seeing the level is to remain an important part of the game, I'd suggest not just having the Zoom option over on the lower left but starting each level zoomed in and not make the user have to do it. Alternately you could make the user able to choose on the fly and only give them X slots to complete the level in.

I found it hard to control the game when the camera stays focused on your finger instead of your "character" (orb.) Sometimes with the guns, they were hard to control when the camera went following the finger offscreen but the thing you wanted to shoot at was back closer to your character. Maybe you can lock the camera to your character,, or never allow the camera to get too far from your character so that it always stays on-screen.

Lastly, it would be really nice to be able to get back into the game quickly. right now, the game is punishing enough that sometimes you can tell really early on that you'll need to restart the level in order to do it right. That's fine, but make that easy to do! Clicking on "restart" right now sends you to a defeat screen, makes fun of you (I already realized I need to restart, no need to rub it in!), has you click to try again, and makes you go trough the item elect and zoom all over again. What if hitting the restart button skipped half of that and just took you back to item select and go?

Anyhow, hope any of that helps! Overall, I think you've got the pieces here for a great game. You just need to polish them a bit more and make them work in as user-friendly a way as possible. Good luck, and cheers!