Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-18-2012, 01:13 AM
metalbean metalbean is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 46
Default localization - Is it worth doing?

Hi there,

We are new in iOS dev and have just finished out first game.

Since we plan to release the app worldwide, localization comes to mind.

From the data gathered from applingua, the top most translated language by order is

French
German
Japanese
Spanish
Italian

Apart from that, we are also thinking

Thai
Chinese

We also plan to target Scandinavia but I'd imagine English is widely used there.

I'd say a natural thing is to have translated version but I am just wondering if english apps would easily find success in those markets too.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-18-2012, 05:03 AM
Silver Josh Silver Josh is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbean View Post
Hi there,

We are new in iOS dev and have just finished out first game.

Since we plan to release the app worldwide, localization comes to mind.

From the data gathered from applingua, the top most translated language by order is

French
German
Japanese
Spanish
Italian

Apart from that, we are also thinking

Thai
Chinese

We also plan to target Scandinavia but I'd imagine English is widely used there.

I'd say a natural thing is to have translated version but I am just wondering if english apps would easily find success in those markets too.
Almost four years have passed, but this topic about localization services remains interesting: Localizations.

If you want an advice, there's really no point to translate into Thai.

At least you should consider Korean, Russian, Portuguese and Swedish first.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Echoseven Echoseven is offline
Moderator
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The red Skittle
Posts: 4,949
Default

I'm merely a user - but as one who is multilingual, I would say there is nothing worse than a badly localized description / game.

Please, whatever you do, don't use Google Translate.


A good localization couldn't hurt - and I'm sure if you ask around you'll be able to find someone willing to do it for you for cheap, or even free. The most important question is to ask whether the audience using the App Store is used to the language in question or not.

Browse the country's store first - are the majority of their apps/games in English or the local language? I'm sure in some cases it would be pointless to localize at all.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 AM
metalbean metalbean is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Josh View Post

If you want an advice, there's really no point to translate into Thai.

At least you should consider Korean, Russian, Portuguese and Swedish first.
I agree. The thing about Thai is that people have mentioned that it's a very social country and have heard about social games coming up big in Thailand.

Korean. Is this worth it? Most smartphone users are Android.

As for Swedish. Having lived in Scandinavia for five years. I am not sure if it's all that necessary at all.

Portugese. I agree. But is Brazil + Portugal a very big market? Wondering about iOS usage here.

Russia makes sense. I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 AM
metalbean metalbean is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
A good localization couldn't hurt - and I'm sure if you ask around you'll be able to find someone willing to do it for you for cheap, or even free. The most important question is to ask whether the audience using the App Store is used to the language in question or not.
Thanks. I realized that you are offering pro bono help. That's really nice. I am also multilingual myself. Native language being Mandarin Chinese. But near native in Cantonese and Bahasa Indonesia.

So hit me up if you manage to think of something interesting ! :-)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Silver Josh Silver Josh is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbean View Post
I agree. The thing about Thai is that people have mentioned that it's a very social country and have heard about social games coming up big in Thailand.

Korean. Is this worth it? Most smartphone users are Android.

As for Swedish. Having lived in Scandinavia for five years. I am not sure if it's all that necessary at all.

Portugese. I agree. But is Brazil + Portugal a very big market? Wondering about iOS usage here.

Russia makes sense. I guess.
I certainly agree with the top 5 languages you listed before.
The reason I mentioned about Korean, Portuguese, Swedish and Russian is because, despite of how English is widely used and market size, they're certainly bigger markets than Thailand.

Of course this is not the same for all the apps.
We must think individually; for instance, one of my apps had a great success in Sweden, so I had to translate it into Swedish just to satisfy some of my clients.
The translation then paid for itself soon.

It's hard to estimate whether the localization of the app is worth or not. It's about 4 years I keep translating every single app. In some cases I had an amazing increase of sales, while in other cases it didn't affect at all. To be honest, I have no idea why Japanese love my money manager and hate my diary app.

I think I wrote it dozens of times, but I highly recommend dys translations and mygengo. Reasonable price, turnarnaround time and professional support (dys better than mygengo in this case).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-18-2012, 07:53 AM
metalbean metalbean is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Josh View Post

I think I wrote it dozens of times, but I highly recommend dys translations and mygengo. Reasonable price, turnarnaround time and professional support (dys better than mygengo in this case).
This is interesting. Thanks~!

Considering giving them a try.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 AM
tpsolutions tpsolutions is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbean View Post
Hi there,

We are new in iOS dev and have just finished out first game.

Since we plan to release the app worldwide, localization comes to mind.

From the data gathered from applingua, the top most translated language by order is

French
German
Japanese
Spanish
Italian

Apart from that, we are also thinking

Thai
Chinese

We also plan to target Scandinavia but I'd imagine English is widely used there.

I'd say a natural thing is to have translated version but I am just wondering if english apps would easily find success in those markets too.


Metalbean,

Where are you located?

Ellie
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
metalbean metalbean is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsolutions View Post
Metalbean,

Where are you located?

Ellie
I am now living in Beijing
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Endair Endair is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Josh View Post
Almost four years have passed, but this topic about localization services remains interesting: Localizations.

If you want an advice, there's really no point to translate into Thai.

At least you should consider Korean, Russian, Portuguese and Swedish first.
How do you know those countries are important?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent