Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-04-2008, 01:29 PM

Default Killer Pool

A new pool game has come out "Killer Pool" -It looks awesome and plays very well -and its available on the AppStore now ([url]http://www.ikillerpool.com/[/url]).
Old 12-04-2008, 02:13 PM

I like the clean, vivid, and clear graphics it has. And I don't mind the blank backgrounds, no need of that. Though, I need to see a video of it in motion to really consider it since I already have Virtual Pool.

One thing that bugs be is the Killer Pool logo on the tables, kind of busy, but mostly looks low-res compared to the rest of the graphics. It might not be bad viewing on a small iPhone compared to those large screens on a PC.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion

It looks very polished. I like how there are a lot of options on the screen to pick from.

Oh, it's on the App Store already. It's $3.

Here's the link for anyone who wants it:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298835725&mt=8

PS the game is called "Killer Pool" on the app store, so searching "iKiller Pool" won't work.

Last edited by istopmotion; 12-04-2008 at 02:20 PM..
Old 12-04-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by istopmotion View Post
How much will it be?
It is already available in the app store here. In the UK it is 1.79.

I decided to take a risk and buy it as there are already a couple of good reviews in iTunes.

It has a nice style with the menu and buttons, and the physics work well enough. Here are the pro's and cons from my short play-

Pros-
Easy UI. Buttons are all clearly laid out.
Drag/swipe to shoot (unlike WCP).
Pinch to zoom in/out, drag to aim just like VP.
Play in landscape or portrait.
Realistic ball physics to rival VP.
Unlike VP, cue cannot play through cushions and other balls (automatically raises above them).
Aim aid can be turned off (unlike WCP).

Cons-
You have to type in your name every time you play a new game.
Long load time to get to the game proper from the menu.
Graphics are too bright- shadows need to be darker to be more realistic.
Audio doesn't seem very loud.
No way to turn off logo on the table.
When it's a players turn (you, another human player, or the computer player) you have to click an OK button to confirm, which gets a little tedious.
Like VP, the balls simply disappear when close to the pocket instead of actually dropping down them.
You drag a bar at the side to shoot, not the cue itself as in VP (dragging the cue itself makes it feel more lifelike imo).

So, so far (not counting WCP- I haven't got that one as I don't like the fact you can't turn the aid off and you can't drag to shoot) this is the closest contender to VP's crown. However, there are too many negatives to say that is surpasses VP as the best Pool app (although VP isn't perfect as we all know).

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 12-04-2008 at 02:59 PM..
Old 12-04-2008, 03:35 PM

Why do developers try to be unique or different when it comes to some features like shooting in pool. VP came out first, the control was perfect, and every game since decided that they have a better way to do it. Guess what, they don't. It's like the golf club swing in tiger woods games, they nailed the control. There is no shame in duplicating a control system that is so close to being perfect. Tweak it, add some subtle differences, but don't try and reinvent the wheel.

/rant
Old 12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

So many pool games lately! I like WPC a lot and hope the developer just tweaks it a little. However, the first pool game to feature online play is going to be the one to own.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:53 PM

decided to buy killer pool and now, after playing a bit, i don't like it.
the graphics are a bit lacking and i miss a background somehow, even if its certainly no necessity.
the controls are a bit unpolished. after shooting you have to wildly zoom and rotate to see whats going on. i would prefer if the game would switch to a different view automatically there.

physics look alright and you can apply spin as you like.

i would say vp definitely stays on the top of the list and on the second place comes wcp 2009 closely followed by killer pool.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
So many pool games lately! I like WPC a lot and hope the developer just tweaks it a little. However, the first pool game to feature online play is going to be the one to own.

Adrenaline Pool already has online multiplay, but I don't think members of forum regard it as highly as Virtual Pool, Midnight Pool, World Championship Pool, and perhaps even now Killer Pool.

Last edited by salsamd; 12-05-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Old 12-05-2008, 01:55 PM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

Looks neato, but theres just too many pool games out currently :P
Old 12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsamd View Post
Adrenaline Pool already has online multiplay, but I don't think members of forum regard it as highly as Virtual Pool, Midnight Pool, World Championship Pool, and perhaps even now Killer Pool.
Oops, you're right. I forgot about AP.

I went ahead and downloaded Killer last night and really don't like it nearly as much as VP and especially WPC.