★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Visibility in AppStore - Icon Design

03-30-2012, 02:56 AM
That is very valuable information!

Thank you ever so much. Will be following your blog more closely.

And, yeah, the God Rays...I still like em , they seem to work
03-30-2012, 03:52 AM
I should also add depending on the app, using a smiling (if possible) face might also be a good idea as humans are programmed to pay attention to the faces...

Pixel Envision - Creating fun apps for iOS & Android

Twitter / Facebook / YouTube
03-30-2012, 08:40 AM
You're totally right about us all be hard-wired to recognize faces. I think that's what KelvinZhao really meant by his #1 suggestion of using a mascot. Not every game has a cute cuddly character like his examples of a red bird or a green monster but even successful non-casual games like Funzio's Crime City and Kabam's Kingdoms of Camelot: Battle for the North use "mascots" of a sort to attract our innate attraction to faces.

My game: MazeMage, a turn-based pixel-sprite puzzle adventure game.
TouchArcade thread here or play the old web demo. We're also looking for iOS beta testers.
(Plus I'm also the Sr Art Director working on mobile games at Kabam)
03-30-2012, 09:47 AM
I have just started redesigning my icon so this definitely helps! Thanks!

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
Tiny Toy Chest out now!
Free Version also available
03-30-2012, 10:40 PM
David Phan, Hercule,
For us, the key reason why we are using the 'god rays' is because it serves as a simple enough background without being too plain (ie, flat color or single gradient). Also having the rays originate from the 'mascot', makes more emphasis on him. I guess most people use it for this two reasons. It's a simple solution to a tough design problem.

rikschennik,
Thanks! Hope you find it useful~

matador1978,
Great! We will try to update more often, hopefully it can help out fellow indie developers. It's really a tough market out there with all the big names pumping so much money we can't afford into marketing.

pixelenvision, emdash.
Yup! It is easier for an user to relate to your icon if there is a be it human or creature looking/smiling at you. Eye contact, it's hard to avoid them.

30BelowStudios,
Glad to help! Good luck with your app! =)

Check out my latest game, Office Politics: Backstab!, link
And the blog of our work processes and experiences, link