Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 04-03-2012, 12:51 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Reset the home button? That seems like a weird concept and a tad hard to believe, but I found a video on youtube and tried it. Verdict is out, but I'll see how it goes over time.

EDIT: it might have worked? How? I don't get it. Also sometimes I think the home button is working right, then later it starts being flakey again, so this could all be coincidence.

Last edited by crunc; 04-03-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

If you are JB-en install Zephyr
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Here's allegedly how you reset the home button:

1. Press and hold power until you get the swipe to power off slider (don't swipe it!)

2. Press and hold the Home button until you get dumped back to the home screen.

It is interesting that it does that, so I guess it's intentional. I'm still very unclear how this would work since it seems like home button is a physical switch. Weird.

EDIT: but I'm not convinced yet. It still seems like it's dependent on where on the button I press. If I press the lower portion of the button I need to press harder. Then again I think maybe I'm not seeing the bogus registrations as a double-tap. Hmm.

Last edited by crunc; 04-03-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
Here's allegedly how you reset the home button:

1. Press and hold power until you get the swipe to power off slider (don't swipe it!)

2. Press and hold the Home button until you get dumped back to the home screen.
If I remember correctly that action is used to force quit an application. I do not know though if it has other software and hardware relation functions.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:46 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Well, a day later I'm not as convinced that technique really did anything. I think it was the placebo effect. It did seem kind of ludicrous. LOL. The button is still inconsistent. Depending on where I press on it, it either responds with a fairly light touch or doesn't respond unless you press hard on it. I have also had a couple instances of it registering as a double tap when I pressed only once. So that's not really fixed either.

One of these days I'm going to take it apart and see if a cleaning or some such would help.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
Ahh, most of the time this is a design fault that the dirt block the connection.
You know what? You can save your device by flicking the home button for about 10 times.
Let me know if it works for you.
Thanks i just tried that and it worked
Old 08-21-2013, 02:09 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawLessLove View Post
Today, I took my iPod Touch 4G 32GB out of my pocket to find that the home button was permanently stuck down. It won't push or respond in anyway. I tried hitting the back of it to try to knock the button back, but that did nothing. I tried cleaning the area with alcohol, that also did not. Other than the button, my iPod is in perfect condition, no scratches or problems of any sort. I had my iPod since launch so the warranty has expired and I don't want to pay $150 to a Apple store. Currently I am using Activator to use the volume buttons to return home, I would not like to have to do this forever. I also would like to sell my iPod when the next generation is released.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
I had it my ipod touch 4th gen 8gb in my pocket too and when i got home the button was permanently stuck down as well
Old 08-21-2013, 02:16 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Why don't you just activate the - virtual button. It is a temp fix, until you actually fix your physical button.

To get the virtual home button,

1: go into the - settings app
2: then go into - general
3: scroll down to - accessibility
4: scroll down and activate - AssistiveTouch

Problem solved.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:59 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I had the same problem as i used to use my ipod touch 4th gen A LOT, for a temporary solution i used the virtual button for a while.

I dont know where you are based, but like you my ipod was out of warranty. I tried 'flicking' the home button and i could see 'white' buildup around the outside, flicking it for a while (and swiping the crap away every time) did help it a bit.

I then heard the alcohol solution, theres a few youtube videos which 'seem' to work.

I spoke to Apple who mentioned they had to 'break' the glass screen to get to the home button which would cost a lot ?!?! But in the end i found an Apple repair shop in the UK, bit nervous at first but its a common problem apparently. Used this place...

http://www.ukipodrepairs.co.uk/fix_m...parts/4GiPhone

This was 35 so thats about $55 or so ?

Came back, worked perfectly and felt like it was back to factory settings. They didnt have to break the screen so was a bit annoyed that Apple told me they had to.

If you're based in the US i'm sure theres quite a few places who can repair it as it seems to be a common problem. Very frustrating though i know having to keep pressing the home button trying to get a response
Old 08-23-2013, 11:06 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

This is why I use the 5 finger pinch on my iPad.