Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-31-2012, 12:22 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

If you are into this type of game, you would be a fool not to get this one. For me, though, it feels like brilliant art direction in search of a game to inhabit.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:28 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

@Sanuku, I've seen in your gameplay video that the movement is tilt-based. Is there an option to have all the movement touch-based? As always, thanks for those vids.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

wow! How is this not getting more attention??

It's a beautiful score chasing arcade game... with great graphics, music, and gameplay mechanics. Yeah, there's IAP, but it's for items which you can collect in-game, as well as getting a couple of them free every day with the 'free gift' button in the store.

The tilt controls work very well (and no, there's no other option for controls) - and the gameplay gets pretty challenging pretty quickly. The scoring is also pretty nifty... with each of the creatures having a different score, and collecting more than one at a time brings on a multiplier. The creatures also have different movement patterns, and speeds... and as you progress through the levels (by collecting enemies and raising your score) more enemies are thrown out at you...

It's just a great casual arcade game that has a nice challenge. GC leaderboard as well as 16 achievements... and the atmosphere of the game is fantastic.

Definitely recommended. It stands out in a sea of score chasing arcade games as one of the better ones.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 AM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
It's a beautiful score chasing arcade game... with great graphics, music, and gameplay mechanics. Yeah, there's IAP, but it's for items which you can collect in-game, as well as getting a couple of them free every day with the 'free gift' button in the store.
Here's my issue. Ultimately this is a high score chasing game. If you only care about chasing your own score then this is fine. However consumable IAP like this in any game makes scoreboards meaningless. Your score is an amalgam of playing skill and money spent, and with no way to pull those factors apart, the scoreboard is a mockery. Consumable IAP that can boost score in a game where I would be significantly interested in scoreboards is a complete dealbreaker for me.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

yeah, I don't see it that way. Once you get past level 5(ish) there's enough challenge to keep you hooked even if you're constantly using powerups. Also, the power-ups are available in-game by collecting them as they move across the screen with the enemies, and you're given a pack of them every 24 hours in the store by hitting 'daily bonus'

With the power-ups staying active for a set amount of time, and a decent set amount of time at that... I'm not even able to use up all of my power-ups while playing. Sure, I could spam the bombs, but it would drastically hurt my score... and even if I spam the two power-ups, I die before I can use them up..
I don't see where the problem is there...

**edit**

guess I should also say that I'm #5 out of 293 on the GC board... so it's not because I totally suck at the game...

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 04-05-2012 at 08:30 AM..
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 AM
iPad mini

That's all well and good but you don't even address my core issue. This game may as well not have any scoreboards because they are 100% totally meaningless. It's like having a table which claims to tell you who is the tallest person in a group, but each person is listed, not by height, but by a number determined by adding their hight to the number ping pong balls they can hold in their mouth. It means nothing. You can't compare "scores" in a game with consumable IAP purchase powerups/upgrades since different scores represent different ratios of multiple factors.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

alright... I'm still not getting it... because I'm #5 on the board and haven't bought anything through IAP... which means I'm still contending with top scores even though I haven't purchased anything... I do agree that boards you can buy your way up or boards that are meaningless because you can just replay level 1 over and over again to up your 'total score' are crap...

but here, that's really not the case, because your game will end before you can use too many of the power-ups...

Like if I bought the $0.99 IAP for 50 and 40 of the powerups... they would last me a good 2 weeks, at least...

You could also just play games and collect the power-ups that float by in-game, without using them, stockpiling them up for a score chasing session...

as well as getting the free bonus power-ups every day (I got 10 of each today...) leaving me, ATM, with 35 claw power ups, and 29 speed power-ups... there's really no advantage to buying the power-ups unless you just don't want to collect them in-game...

And there's enough challenge in the gameplay that you could buy all the power-ups in the world, and still not make it into the top 100...

TL;DR - buying IAP will not secure a good position on the leaderboard at all.

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 04-05-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 AM
iPad mini

If you're saying that you don't believe someone who just dropped constant bombs and remained fully powered up at all times, missing nothing ever, could beat a score by someone using only moderate earnable powerups then that's great. It's not the impression I got and it's counterintuitive since most games these days, even paidmium, with this sort of system balance to ensure at least noticable advantage to IAP use, and it sounds as if you are saying they are completely frivolous and useless beyond even the sometimes acceptable "time-saving" IAP.
However of you're just using your position as and argument, it is not one Not that many people are playing yet. I've seen it many times before. All of a sudden scores start showing up that seem a little too high, and you start to wonder if they are natural or bought.
Anyway, perhaps I'll give it another go, but honestly I don't like having no alternative to tilt in general as it limits when and where the game can be played, and I found this game a bit boring (the 1 time I played ). Discovering IAP powerups was just the nail in the coffin.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Bombs don't help your score... They clear out enemies, not giving you any points, hurting your score... Which is why, I'm guessing, they aren't available through IAP.

What I am saying is that you can ALWAYS STAY POWERED UP AND NOT RUN OUT OF POWER UPS WITH WHAT THE GAME GIVES YOU. there's no need to buy them through IAP because you'll never run out... So how could someone buy their way onto the leader board?

Whatever... 💩💩💩💩ing pointless.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
What I am saying is that you can ALWAYS STAY POWERED UP AND NOT RUN OUT OF POWER UPS WITH WHAT THE GAME GIVES YOU. there's no need to buy them through IAP because you'll never run out...

Whatever... 💩💩💩💩ing pointless.
If that's true, then that's great (like I said. Guess you missed it ). I only said that's not the impression I got, but you've played much more than me so I'll defer to your understanding. It just strikes me as odd to waste time putting IAP in a game where no one would ever need or even want them