Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 03-30-2012, 12:38 PM

Default different characters/skins as IAP - worthwhile?

releasing an app soon, and trying to think of how to monetize as usual. I am thinking to use a system where the game comes with a single "pack" of characters/elements built-in, and make an option to buy additional packs for $1 apiece (say 1 pack = 5 characters, with their own sound FX, etc). Now this is purely aesthetic, won't really alter the gameplay experience necessarily, but I figure there's a percentage of people who'll enjoy the game and want to grab every bit of content they can, especially if it's just a couple of dollars.

I don't really see this done too often, though - they do it in Mega Jump, of course, but overall is this something worth implementing or simply a waste of time/resources? Can anyone point to more specific examples in either case? (as for Mega Jump, they already had huge download numbers when they switched to this model, so I don't really want to count that app)
Old 03-30-2012, 01:11 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

a purely optional IAP approach is like night and day in comparison to the typical IAP game where the difficulty is ramped up so that the only way to finish is to waste money.

the latter makes me despise the developer, the former makes me appreciate them.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcaseGames View Post
releasing an app soon, and trying to think of how to monetize as usual.
you are releasing an app soon and start thinking about monetizing now?

i find this odd since usualy monetizing belongs into the initial design phase of an game, except you want to end up like phospor and just slap something onto an finished product..

o_O

Quote:
I am thinking to use a system where the game comes with a single "pack" of characters/elements built-in, and make an option to buy additional packs for $1 apiece (say 1 pack = 5 characters, with their own sound FX, etc). Now this is purely aesthetic, won't really alter the gameplay experience necessarily, but I figure there's a percentage of people who'll enjoy the game and want to grab every bit of content they can, especially if it's just a couple of dollars.

I don't really see this done too often, though - they do it in Mega Jump, of course, but overall is this something worth implementing or simply a waste of time/resources? Can anyone point to more specific examples in either case? (as for Mega Jump, they already had huge download numbers when they switched to this model, so I don't really want to count that app)

i would not implement a simple iap to buy skins.. since this is bad imho because i would consider this an "hard" approach especially since it does not add anything to the gameplay.

the most successfull monetization within games so faar(from both ends of the table, consumer/developer) is a "soft" approach
where you have an intermediate currency between real money and ingame item.. like jetpack joyride.. and in this case "time" is the actual value you are trading.. since everything can be unlocked by just playing the game..
but for a speedbump you pay up.. the "generic" approach..

of course not the techniqe is something special but to get the ballance right.

when you head over to the dark meadow thread and read that you need a hundred hours of grinding to purchase a single item!?!?! *facepalm*

it just makes no sense. so the difficulty is to find something that makes "sense" for your game specifically.. one cannot and should not generalize such design descisions.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:40 AM

I think Jetpack Joyride and Temple Run have a good design for IAP. Not only are they successful, but I haven't seen any complaints for either game to do with IAP.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 PM

Yes it works.
Trey Smith tried it in Jump Pack.
And he's making good money with it.

He showed off some of the sales here:
http://www.treysmithblog.com/current-app-stats/