CRUX Crosswords - now Universal!
CRUX brings you a beautiful, fun, and intuitive way to solve crossword puzzles on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. Now with iCloud puzzle sync, iOS 6, and iPhone 5 (taller display) support!
[ Excellent! ] WIRED App Guide : "The best crossword app for the iPad"
[ 5 Stars! ] AppAdvice.com : "A Word Puzzlers Delight"
[ 4½ Stars! ] PadGadget.com : "A highly polished crossword app with tons of features"
[ 4 Stars! ] TouchArcade.com : "Crossword Puzzles Have Never Looked This Good"
[ 4 Stars! ] TapMag.co.uk : "A well-developed crossword puzzler that should keep addicts happy."
CRUX presents the best crossword puzzles on the perfect platform for solving them. There are thousands of high-quality puzzles available for download from newspapers and other sources around the world. No matter if you're new to crosswords or a seasoned wordsmith, CRUX is great for everyone, and includes:
- Fifteen exclusive puzzles by accomplished puzzle author Andrew Ries, organized by Easier, Average, and Harder difficulty
- Multiple modes help you focus on what's important
-- "Intersecting" presents a mini-puzzle made from the selected entry and all crossing entries
-- "Incomplete" shows you only what's left
-- "Related" shows only the themed or otherwise related entries
- Related entries are automatically highlighted in all modes
- Swipe gestures for directly picking any across/down entry from the grid
- Enter letters as pen or pencil
- Enter multiple letters in a cell ("rebus" entry)
- Timer with pause feature
- Clear/check/reveal a cell, entry, or the entire puzzle
- View and sort downloaded puzzles by day, month, constructor, recently opened, etc.
- Support for multiple users sharing one iPad
- iPad "Home row" control layout lets you solve a puzzle fast without moving your hands
- iPad 3-speed directional pad for cell-by-cell navigation
CRUX currently supports the following US-style sources:
o American Values Club
o Aries XWord by Andrew J. Ries
- Chronicle of Higher Education
o CRooked Crosswords
o Crossword Nation by Liz Gorski
- Houston Chronicle
- Ink Well
- I Swear
- NY Times Classic
* NY Times Daily
* NY Times Monthly Bonus
- People Magazine
- Washington Post Daily
- Washington Post Puzzler
- Washington Post TV
And these UK-style sources:
Globe And Mail Cryptic
Globe And Mail Quick
Manchester Evening News
Sydney Morning Herald Cryptic (2002-2009)
Sydney Morning Herald Quick (2002-2009)
+ Telegraph Cryptic
+ Telegraph General Knowledge
+ Telegraph General Knowledge Quick
+ Telegraph Quick
+ Telegraph Toughie
o These puzzles are available with a valid subscription. See the following for more information:
* These puzzles are available with a NY Times Premium Crossword Membership. More information can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/crosswords
+ The Telegraph puzzles are available with an online subscription. 7-day free trial available at: http://puzzles.telegraph.co.uk/site/register_free_trial
If anybody has questions or a suggestion on how to improve the app, then PLEASE let us know by sending email to:
We love feedback! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to write us already.