Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Default [REC] - The videogame iPad Edition - (by Castelao Pictures S.L.)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Sanuku; 04-07-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 PM

Cool!

I'm a fan of the [Rec] series, any news if this will be on the IPhone too?
Old 04-07-2012, 06:39 PM
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

awesome,thanks
Old 04-07-2012, 06:52 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

You know what they say about things that look to good to be true? Well, after the video, I'm thinking this looks too good to be true. However, for $.99, I'll take the plunge. It's a huge download, so it'll take me a bit to give impressions. Hopefully this will be as good as it looks.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
You know what they say about things that look to good to be true? Well, after the video, I'm thinking this looks too good to be true. However, for $.99, I'll take the plunge. It's a huge download, so it'll take me a bit to give impressions. Hopefully this will be as good as it looks.
Although it looks too good to be true, this isn't the official game of Quarantine, the English re-make. [Rec] is the original Spanish one. The low price may be because of low market penetration and a wish for high uptake.

I'm not holding my hopes up but I am waiting with baited breath.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:01 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by writingsama View Post
Although it looks too good to be true, this isn't the official game of Quarantine, the English re-make. [Rec] is the original Spanish one. The low price may be because of low market penetration and a wish for high uptake.

I'm not holding my hopes up but I am waiting with baited breath.
I think technically, it's the game of [Rec] 3. The movie just came out in Spain, I don't think this one has been released in the US yet.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:32 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

So here's the very early impressions: too good to be true? Maybe a bit, but for the price, it's certainly got some things going for it.

The pros: nice visuals provided from the Unity Engine. Really good music and sound effects give off a nice Silent Hill vibe. If you leave the gore option on, it's quite gory and bloody if that's your thing. It certainly fits for this genre.

The cons: pretty poor English localization...not horrible, but not great. I noticed a bit of clipping here and there, nothing game-breaking so far. It seems quite linear. If that bothers you, you may be disappointed. At one point, I inexplicably lost my wrench (weapon). You can still use your fists, but I don't know what happened to my wrench.

All in all, my early impressions are pretty positive, especially for the price. I'm still really early on, so I'm not definitively recommending it at this point, but for a buck, if it appeals to you, it's not a huge risk.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I think technically, it's the game of [Rec] 3. The movie just came out in Spain, I don't think this one has been released in the US yet.
Not it's the [rec]3 icon but playing it, it is definitely the original, unless the third has the exact same beginning as the first...

This is a cross post from the iPhone forum.

OK, before you take this wrong, let me say that I am recommending this.

I played it on iPad 1, maybe they just turned off lots of lighting or something (it doesn't really perform great even then), but it looks like a "My First Unity" game. The initial environment almost put me off the game completely, but I kept playing. They got better.

I was also frustrated by how little control there was over the controls...but then I realized they're doing a bit of an RE thing: they don't want you to be able to move and maneuver like it's modern combat 3. The controls aren't unplayable and realizing that's what they're going for, it was OK.

The localization is funny. The lady on the fourth floor was really on the fifth. There are missing letters or odd phrases here or there.

But...

I have to say that the sound design is simplistic but effective. VERY simplistic. But effective. I don't scare easily, and I had the lights on and I was using my iPad's external speaker. Now, it wasn't scary scary, but the game is good at having zombies sneak up on you unawares, the environments are fairly creepy, and it managed to put me on edge like I was watching [Rec].

It just didn't perform too great on my iPad 1. When there were 3+ zombies on screen I wasn't even sure if I was hitting any of them, I can't recommend the iPad version because of this. It doesn't CHUG but...it would take some getting used to.

It has a very early 2000's feel to it in some ways...early 2000's FPSes, I mean, not movies. I was reminded inexplicably of Prey (the game). Don't ask me why.

I'll play it some more. So far, it has its ups and downs, but I think if you're a fan you'll really dig it, and if it can sustain its atmosphere it's definitely worth even the lagging frame rate.

EDIT: the best localization issue is that the game tells you that locked doors are closed. "The door is closed." Haha.

EDIT 2: Sound design is probably the most important thing in any scary game, and I think they did a good job.

Last edited by writingsama; 04-08-2012 at 11:33 AM..