Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-08-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenyilun View Post
The seller of this game posted a gameplay video on iPad
YouTube: video
official website: http://www.rec-thegame.com/
Is that the length of the game? lol.

I kinda feel this is just a typical movie tie-in game, half-assed and all that. Doesn't look as scary as Dead Space, but the price is $0.99 so it's hard to complain (though Dead Space is often on sale for $0.99 as well).
Old 04-08-2012, 12:14 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

From the video, they made the fire station looks half assed indeed. The looks and models in the apartment is alot better. The bgm is kinda annoying to me which cuts off the creepiness. I was waiting for the old woman to come rushing towards the player (like in the movie) but nothing happens at all. Will be holding off buying this until more reviews on the game comes in.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnk View Post
Is that the length of the game? lol.

I kinda feel this is just a typical movie tie-in game, half-assed and all that. Doesn't look as scary as Dead Space, but the price is $0.99 so it's hard to complain (though Dead Space is often on sale for $0.99 as well).
This game is way scarier than Dead Space. I'm not saying it's better, but it's definitely scarier. In Dead Space you are basically told when the monsters are coming, and you are always armed and ready. In REC they can come out you from anywhere at any time.

For a movie tie-in, this is pretty darn decent. The base itself it nicely done, with great sound effects, good use of atmosphere, responsive controls, and good graphics overall (except for the firehouse, which pretty much sucks, but you're only there for a few minutes). What the game lacks are the trappings of an adventure game: an inventory system, multiple ways to interact with objects, extended environmental puzzles, etc. As it is it feels pretty shallow, especially compared to the classic early Silent Hills, etc. Missions so far have been of the "go and find something" variety. As sizzla mentioned earlier, there are some less-than polished aspects -- clipping here and there, a room where, during a particular mission, the door-opening animation is busted. Frankly, I've seen worse from Gameloft.

Sadly, there's a game-crashing bug on Chapter 5 that keeps me from recommending the game. I would suggest that folks hold off until a patch is announced.