Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Default Retro Games HD - (by Elite Systems Ltd)

Lite:

Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Holywha, is this the Elite Collection I've been waiting for?

I must admit the title & title screen make it look like one of those misleading"100 NES GAMES" apps which just links to youtube videos of games...

PS> When the heck are you gonna make the HD version universal so I don't have to buy two copies of each IAP?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post

PS> When the heck are you gonna make the HD version universal so I don't have to buy two copies of each IAP?
Yes please to this!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Well, after a bit of investigation, this does appear to be the Elite Collection. Both the regular and HD versions are a buck at the moment so I double dipped. Will have to see what the other 90 games are to see if I can justify the IAP double-dip. Major consolation prize is that the iPhone version supports the iCade (before you ask: yes, I have been known to play with my iPhone in my iCade - it's not easy to get the iPad away from our daughter!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default Yep....

.....I double-dipped too. iPad one is great with iCade. Just charging my Gametel controller to see how the iPhone one works with it.
Bruce Lee in the palm of my hand.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM
iPad Air

The only game I'm interested in is the twice promised M.U.L.E. and, of course, that title has been pushed back again to some unnamed date.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default I don't remember M.U.L.E.......

.....but would love all the old Minter games. Works okay with Gametel on iPhone but funny button mapping. Top left is fire but you get used to it. iCade on iPad is the one. Get M.U.L.E. on so I can try it and give a call to Tony Crowther and any old Rob Hubbard music is good with me.
Sentinel would be good too.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:06 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Default Confusing game collections

I find all these collections very confusing.

Firstly, why would Elite Systems create two Commodore 64 retro collection apps (both containing many of the same games)?

Secondly, why also do they not name Commodore anywhere when they are C64 game collections? The ZX Spectrum: Elite Collection has the relevant computer name in its title. Does Manomio (authour of Commodore 64 app) have exclusivity for using the word Commodore 64 for his game collection?
Old 04-08-2012, 02:08 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Default Quick review

I just purchased this app (mainly for Archon). Keep in mind I play with iCade only, so cannot comment too much on touch controls.

Positives:-
- App was not fooled when I chose to play both light and dark sides in Archon (these are different control ports on C64 and some emulators would get tricked by this).
- Good value at 99c (especially when compared to sister app 'Elite Collection HD' currently at $5.49)
- Game specific control buttons. No pop up keyboard required to start games, e.g. to press function keys. All were mapped to iCade too.
- Options to setup virtual controls in the way you like (choice of translucency (invisible is great for iCade users), position and contoller type: virtual joystick or gamepad).
- Possible to skip all the graphical box shots to see a raw list of all available games.
- Allows resuming of games (basic game save).
Edit: Actually has four save slots per game and a resume feature if you forget to save when you exit the app.

Negatives:
- Some crashes: Not while playing game, but when navigating out of game to menu system and back in again. I use an iPad 1, so might handle things better with a faster CPU.
- All app menu screens are in forced right-hand side landscape. This is the side that means that volume rocker is touching iCade stand and can get pressed accidentally.
- Would be nice if bezel (surrounding graphics) could be made invisible or very translucent. I always prefer the look of a game fully engulfing an iPad screen.
Edit 2: 'Canvas' (gameplay area) can be manually stretched to cover bezel.

Tip for iCade users:
- Use virtual game pad, not virtual joystick or iCade will not work. I think this setting is default anyway so not an issue.

Last edited by yellowknife; 04-10-2012 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Accuracy
Old 04-08-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife View Post
I find all these collections very confusing.

Firstly, why would Elite Systems create two Commodore 64 retro collection apps (both containing many of the same games)?

Secondly, why also do they not name Commodore anywhere when they are C64 game collections? The ZX Spectrum: Elite Collection has the relevant computer name in its title. Does Manomio (authour of Commodore 64 app) have exclusivity for using the word Commodore 64 for his game collection?
Yeah, I'm not getting this either. Why release new collections of the same games? What am I missing here?