Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugimulm View Post
Has the game been updated to work on the iPad 3? Just wondering because I have the new iPad and iPhone 4.
Yes, it works fine on the new iPad.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclose View Post
I don't use iCloud, so I assume this won't work for me then. There's no simple way to "restore purchases" to a different device, except through use of the cloud? Thanks, I'll have to pass then. Seems a strange way to implement a non-consumable IAP.
Just use icloud. It just one click to setup and works great.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMH View Post
Just use icloud. It just one click to setup and works great.
Can't, because of work security issues (icloud syncing not allowed), but thanks anyway.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Have to agree it, so if my wife wants it, we have to buy it twice... Just sucks I guess. Ah well. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimah View Post
Have to agree it, so if my wife wants it, we have to buy it twice...
Exactly. If you share an account with family members, then you each have to buy it. Ditto if you play this through then want to play it again from a different save position. This has to be one of the craziest ways I've seen of implementing "consumable" non-consumable IAP yet!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 AM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclose View Post
Exactly. If you share an account with family members, then you each have to buy it. Ditto if you play this through then want to play it again from a different save position. This has to be one of the craziest ways I've seen of implementing "consumable" non-consumable IAP yet!
We did not intentionally made it hard for you guys. We used the most logical and consumer friendly way to sync the in app purchases, which is icloud. We were not aware of situations like yours.

We will definitely fix this issue in our next game, Ichi.

In the meantime please note that the in app stuff for Kids is purely additional. You do not miss any feature if you don't buy it. Everything can be unlocked from just playing the game. Actually only a small percentage of players buy in app purchases in Kids. So please don't make your judgement of the game based on the in app purchase sync method.

Thanks for explaining your situation. This is helpful information.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
We did not intentionally made it hard for you guys. We used the most logical and consumer friendly way to sync the in app purchases, which is icloud. We were not aware of situations like yours.

We will definitely fix this issue in our next game, Ichi.
No offense meant, but the most logical and consumer-friendly way to sync non-consumable in-app purchases is to have a Restore Purchases button, which would've been a single call to restoreCompletedTransactions(). Even in the absence of that, rebuying a non-consumable IAP restores it without charging the user.

I don't mean to open the can of worms and start the argument over again, but it looks a lot like you misconfigured the stone multiplier as consumable when it's not. If so, you went against the IAP Guidelines doc and defeated all the stuff Apple put in to let you do this right without any hassle at all.

Which is fine and all, stuff happens. But it grates a little to hear it described as "we did the most logical and consumer-friendly thing." If you misconfigured the IAP, what you did was let us down. We have no way to check and see if an IAP is consumable before we buy, other than guessing based on how it behaves in-game. We count on developers doing the right thing so our purchases act the right way.

If this is, in fact, what happened, I don't know that you have a way out now for existing IAP owners. However, you could retire the current consumable multiplier IAP and create a new non-consumable multiplier IAP for any who buy it in the future.

Last edited by geoelectric; 04-14-2012 at 04:36 AM..
Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 AM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
No offense meant, but the most logical and consumer-friendly way to sync non-consumable in-app purchases is to have a Restore Purchases button, which would've been a single call to restoreCompletedTransactions(). Even in the absence of that, rebuying a non-consumable IAP restores it without charging the user.

I don't mean to open the can of worms and start the argument over again, but it looks a lot like you misconfigured the stone multiplier as consumable when it's not. If so, you went against the IAP Guidelines doc and defeated all the stuff Apple put in to let you do this right without any hassle at all.

Which is fine and all, stuff happens. But it grates a little to hear it described as "we did the most logical and consumer-friendly thing." If you misconfigured the IAP, what you did was let us down. We have no way to check and see if an IAP is consumable before we buy, other than guessing based on how it behaves in-game. We count on developers doing the right thing so our purchases act the right way.

If this is, in fact, what happened, I don't know that you have a way out now for existing IAP owners. However, you could retire the current consumable multiplier IAP and create a new non-consumable multiplier IAP for any who buy it in the future.
I will look into this.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post

The reason why the stone multiplier is a consumable is because you can buy as many as you like.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
The reason why the stone multiplier is a consumable is because you can buy as many as you like.
OK. That makes some degree of sense, though I don't think that was the best way to get multiple instances.

Unfortunately, most of what I said is still true. Apple has lots of support in the backend for automagic non-consumable restore. Their IAP guidelines say in essence that *everything* is non-consumable, except (and I'm c/ping from guidelines) "consumable items are digital items that are used up or disappear after use and can never be reused."

Stacking instances aren't part of that equation, and should've been handled with, for example, ten levels of unique non-consumables.

Note, btw, and again c/p from IAP Guidelines:

"As described above, the different In-App Purchase types have different requirements for whether previous purchases must be restored to users devices."

"In-App Purchase Type: Non-Consumable; Restore Required?: Yes"

Not sure what to say at this point aside from that your scheme wandered off best practices (and, AFAIK, approval guidelines) and it's the paying users who got caught out for you having done so.

I do appreciate you having checked into it, FWIW.