Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I'm still loving the game but am curious as to the general rules on block cohesion (i.e. why is that clump of blocks still hanging there in space when these others just fell down after I cleared a few blocks next to them?).
The rule seems to be that a block will fall if there is no path to the ground via solid face connections to other blocks.

Everything that goes against that seems like it may be a bug, especially since you can trigger blocks staying in the air by tapping after a turn but before the sweeper has had a chance to check which blocks should fall.

I hardly ever see blocks hanging in the air, but I wait after each turn for the game to sort itself out.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM
iPhone 3GS

Just encounted one of the same bugs from earlier (see http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/photovn.png/).
This happened in the mode where 3 blocks fall after every formed word. I used the power-up that causes more letters to drop from the sky but they got stuck at the top of the screen. I selected the same power-up again from elsewhere in the cube and the same thing happened.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

So are the higscores in Clear and Chill based on percentage cleared over actual points?

I just recently played a much higher scoring game of Chill, but as this was only 95% cleared as opposed to my last game's 99%, it appears this higher score wasn't counted.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:56 AM
iPhone 3GS

The dev isn't responding here and Letterbox isn't mentioned anywhere on the Shockpanda official site - that's a worrying sign.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:15 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewomble88 View Post
Just encounted one of the same bugs from earlier (see http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/photovn.png/).
This happened in the mode where 3 blocks fall after every formed word. I used the power-up that causes more letters to drop from the sky but they got stuck at the top of the screen. I selected the same power-up again from elsewhere in the cube and the same thing happened.
Sorry for the delay here. Ugh, that's quite the bug you found! I'll look into that asap and try to get an update out for it. There's a lot of timing stuff going on behind the scenes after each move, so I think I know what's going on here. Question though, do they actually fall later on if you play another word and wait a beat?
Old 04-13-2012, 04:18 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post
The rule seems to be that a block will fall if there is no path to the ground via solid face connections to other blocks.

Everything that goes against that seems like it may be a bug, especially since you can trigger blocks staying in the air by tapping after a turn but before the sweeper has had a chance to check which blocks should fall.

I hardly ever see blocks hanging in the air, but I wait after each turn for the game to sort itself out.
That's exactly right. Blocks that don't have a solid face connection to the ground will fall. It just takes a sec to make them all fall because we couldn't have them go all at once due to physics lag.

Bouncing and floating in the air is a result of a strange physics reaction and timing where the block is "set" in the air. They will fall the next time a move is made as it checks it each time.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:25 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
So are the higscores in Clear and Chill based on percentage cleared over actual points?

I just recently played a much higher scoring game of Chill, but as this was only 95% cleared as opposed to my last game's 99%, it appears this higher score wasn't counted.
High scores in Clear and Chill are percentage first, then score. So a new high score will only save if, first the percentage is higher, then the score is higher.

Now that you bring this up, I realize that a new high score with a lower percentage won't make its way to the leaderboards. I'll take a look at that for the next update. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:39 PM
iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockPanda View Post
Sorry for the delay here. Ugh, that's quite the bug you found! I'll look into that asap and try to get an update out for it. There's a lot of timing stuff going on behind the scenes after each move, so I think I know what's going on here. Question though, do they actually fall later on if you play another word and wait a beat?
Hi, the letters never fall, they stay up there in the sky. I think the only time I saw them fall was if I Quit then went back in, could be wrong though.

Quote:
That's exactly right. Blocks that don't have a solid face connection to the ground will fall. It just takes a sec to make them all fall because we couldn't have them go all at once due to physics lag.

Bouncing and floating in the air is a result of a strange physics reaction and timing where the block is "set" in the air. They will fall the next time a move is made as it checks it each time.
Sorry to sound dumb but can you explain this again as I don't get it
I'm having issues where some blocks fall and some stay in the air and fall after more words are formed. However, as I mentioned before some blocks that fall from the sky bounce back up off another block it's landing on and float one square up - all the others rest of the blocks underneath. The floating block then does NOT drop down one space to where it should have landed at any time. Why?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
High scores in Clear and Chill are percentage first, then score. So a new high score will only save if, first the percentage is higher, then the score is higher.

Now that you bring this up, I realize that a new high score with a lower percentage won't make its way to the leaderboards. I'll take a look at that for the next update. Thanks!
Perhaps you could make sort of a hidden net score for ranking purposes of "Score x %" so that points and percentages can be more fairly ranked.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM
iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewomble88 View Post
Hi, the letters never fall, they stay up there in the sky. I think the only time I saw them fall was if I Quit then went back in, could be wrong though.

Sorry to sound dumb but can you explain this again as I don't get it
I'm having issues where some blocks fall and some stay in the air and fall after more words are formed. However, as I mentioned before some blocks that fall from the sky bounce back up off another block it's landing on and float one square up - all the others rest of the blocks underneath. The floating block then does NOT drop down one space to where it should have landed at any time. Why?
Anyone?

And is the dev going to support this app with updates etc??