Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 04-12-2012, 02:02 PM
iPad 2, iOS 4.x

Default Is this allowed: paid lite version

Say, you have a full version charging $1.99 while another lite version charging $0.99. Is it allowed?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

I see other apps doing it except they don't call it lite. They call it regular and pro versions or something similar. What exactly will be the difference between the 2?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 AM
iPad 2, iOS 4.x

The difference is just like other games do between lite & normal.

Reasons for a paid lite:
1) Some marketing campaign, such as FAAD, needs free versions. I would never again yield my full version free, so I'll do it with the lite version, which should price for a certain period before the campaign.

2) If little income from the app, I won't work for Apple for free with the lite version. Change it to paid is only to prevent downloads.

Since I released the full version first, I may still use the name of lite later.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzeng View Post
The difference is just like other games do between lite & normal.
I'm assuming then that your lite version is more of a "demo" that has reduced number of levels or less content

Quote:
Reasons for a paid lite:
1) Some marketing campaign, such as FAAD, needs free versions. I would never again yield my full version free, so I'll do it with the lite version, which should price for a certain period before the campaign.
You should read their terms of service first. They may not allow lite versions or charge you more because they consider it free to begin with.

Quote:
2) If little income from the app, I won't work for Apple for free with the lite version. Change it to paid is only to prevent downloads.

Since I released the full version first, I may still use the name of lite later.
Why do you see it as working for Apple? Aren't you doing this to market your app? It seems like you're trying to find a loophole to market your app on your own terms but in all honesty if you ask any user they will tell you a lite version is free. I just get this feeling that this will make you look bad and possibly get you bad reviews for charging for an app that doesn't have all the features. Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding something here.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
iPad 2, iOS 4.x

If it's all about names, I may change the names to normal version & deluxe version. Anyway, I'm only asking whether it is allowed, not about user impressions.

Paid versions are for both sides (Apple and indie developers), I agree with that, even currently the big picture is totally misleading. But free versions are just Apple's free meals till the developers really know how to benefit from them.

Developers don't need to close a paid app even it's badly saled. But for free ones, developers should reserve the right to close them. Say, change it to paid?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 AM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

As mentioned in a very similar thread about this, Apple is actively cutting down on the number of duplicate entries on the App Store. I've hear from multiple developers that if you want to offer your game at different price points (i.e. a free and paid version) to release the paid version and allow the rest of the game to be unlocked through various IAP options. You might be able to slide through under the radar with a lesser-known game, but I'd have a contingency plan in place if/when Apple rejects one of your two ski's.

edit: And I sort of doubt you'd be fooling anyone with a "normal" and a "deluxe" version when it comes to this.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 AM
iPad 2, iOS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
As mentioned in a very similar thread about this, Apple is actively cutting down on the number of duplicate entries on the App Store. I've hear from multiple developers that if you want to offer your game at different price points (i.e. a free and paid version) to release the paid version and allow the rest of the game to be unlocked through various IAP options. You might be able to slide through under the radar with a lesser-known game, but I'd have a contingency plan in place if/when Apple rejects one of your two ski's.

edit: And I sort of doubt you'd be fooling anyone with a "normal" and a "deluxe" version when it comes to this.
Those are double entries, I realized that... But I'd ensure no free apps left once I quit the market... So how about normal version $0.99 while lite version $1.99? No one will download the lite version so no fooling at all. Haha.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 AM

i don't understand why you want someone to now download your lite version..

i mean if your full version does not sell well , offering the lite for an even higher price does not really shed a good light on you..

and whats the fuss about that a lite is for apple? i don't get it.. its one of the promotinal tools you have for your full version.. apples free meals.. what the heck.. ? o_O
Old 04-14-2012, 12:23 PM

yeah just do Normal and Pro
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 4.x

Ya, what the toaster said, but this may give you a bad rep tho.