• Publisher: Slitherine
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 255.8 MB
  • Version: 2.70
  • Price: $19.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.8 (5)
App description: Number#1 Strategy game in 42 stores. For 24/7 tech support and updates visit www.slitherine.com/forum

* PocketTactics 5 out of 5 - In price, content, and execution, Battle Academy is a proud game from another time. And worth every penny.
* DigitallyDownloaded.net 4.5 out of 5 Stars - Really, when you buy this game, youre buying into the excellent, competitive, online environment, and it looks like a healthy community at this stage.
* NoHighScores youd be hard pressed to find a richer, more satisfying turn-based wargame on the platform.
* TouchGen 4.5 out of 5 Stars - Battle Academy is a welcoming but challenging experience.
* StrategyPrime 4.5 out of 5 Stars - Probably one of the finest strategy games you can find on the iPad just about now, and definitely a must-have.
* FortressAT Battle Academy isa real game, a proper game
* Esquire - this is the best game weve played yet on the iPad.
* Plughead.net 82% - A proper wargame! On the iPad!
* PCDome.hu the ideal tactical casual wargame for iPad.
* SlideToPlay 3 out of 4 - for those of you who are willing to take the challenge, youll encounter a highly engaging, absorbing and lengthy experience the likes of which has rarely been seen on iOS.
* BoardGameGeek 3 of 4 Stars - Hands down this is the most impressive war game yet on the platform.

Description

Approachable, absorbing and visually impressive yet detailed, Battle Academy aims to revolutionise the strategy games market with a blend of intuitive design and compelling game play driven by cutting edge technical innovation.

Inspired by an original online game concept devised by the BBC, the game has more than 30 battles in a range of theatres of war from the North African desert through D-Day to the to the snowy Ardennes mountains where the Allies battled to repel the final German offensive.

The team at Slitherine worked with Professor John Buckley, Military Historian at the University of Wolverhampton and a keen wargamer himself, to make sure that the strategy, tactics, scenarios and available firepower of the battles fought in WW2 were turned into realistic AI behaviour, powering expertly crafted battles.

The revolutionary server-based PBEM++ Slitherine system completes the package, for a gaming experience that will certainly please both hard core wargamers and newcomers. This revolutionary system allows iPad, Mac and PC players to play against each other, and even allows you to play 1 turn on your PC at home, continue the same game on the iPad on the train to work and play a turn at work on your Mac, all without you having to do a thing - the server handles it all!

Features

Control British, US, Polish, Canadian forces in 3 epic campaigns covering more than 30 varied battles or take control of Italian and German forces in multiplayer.

Select from a vast array of equipment including 100 units from 6 nations - Shermans, Fireflys, Panthers, Tigers, Stukas, Hurricanes, P47s and much more!

Gameplay features include ambushes, line of sight, artillery barrages, airstrikes, scouts, morale, APCs, flame throwers, heavy bombers, snipers and suppression.

Your units gain experience as they fight. Get promoted to Veteran and Elite status and gain new skills.

Addictive multiplayer modes using Slitherines revolutionary multiplayer server thats linked into an online ranking system.

Werechihuahua's comments:
What a pleasant surprise! The folks at Slitherine have ported the outstanding wargame Battle Academy to iOS and the iPad version turned up on the app store today. I love this game on PC and have been playing it, and the expansion packs for a long time. I hope you can give it some love in the review category, and someone who is wise in the ways of forums will do a proper post . (sanuku?)

This is a full on, everything included version of the PC game. Nothing has been taken out, or stripped down to put it on iPad and it plays great with a touch interface...

04-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Just finished up the Market Garden campaign, and had a great time with it. Having to keep your little digital troops alive for the next battle really changed the way I played, as compared to my previous "win at all costs" method from the first three campaigns.

Still enjoying the game immensely, and only have a few quibbles after a couple dozen hours...

The occasional LOS/LOF oddity has bit me a few times now. Might have worked in my favour too, but I never notice/get to see those.

I'm still getting the map jump when I tap. Maybe I need to get some video of what it's doing.

I still haven't quite figured out what/how the "Scout" command does. It often doesn't reveal enemies in fortifications or buildings, and quite often one of the scouts will end up dead. Not a lot of payback for the potential risk and loss of all the unit's AP.

Only two more campaigns to go, and then I'll start asking about Panzer Corps on the iPad.
04-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipFromSlitherine View Post
We will definitely be doing more on the iPad, that's for sure!

Cheers

Pip
Now that's music to my ears! This is fantastic news! Slitherine has a very nice catalog of war-games, and I can't wait to see what comes next.

--DotComCTO

04-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm thinking of getting this game, but dont know about the iaps. How much game is there without them?
04-14-2012, 11:53 AM
There are 3 campaigns (30 missions) in the intial purchase, well worth the money in my opinion
04-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankopotamus View Post
I'm thinking of getting this game, but dont know about the iaps. How much game is there without them?
In addition to the 30 missions included in teh base game, you get several skirmish scenarios, multi platform PBEM, and free access to all the use generated scenarios. Some of them are quite good.
04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Alright thanks for the responses guys. I'll probably be picking this one up.
04-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Anybody thinking about getting this game stop!!! Just stop thinking and buy it it's awesome. online is amazing and fun best I have on iPad 2
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
And on a slightly related note...

PANZER CORPS IS COMING TO THE iPAD!!!

Quote from Slitherine's ScottP on their forums:
"Panzer Corps on iPad - Q3 2012"

WHOOHOO!!!

Yes, yes I am more than a little excited.
04-23-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm still waiting for a lite version before I spent $50 on this. (or sale lol..)
04-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Harv View Post
And on a slightly related note...

PANZER CORPS IS COMING TO THE iPAD!!!

Quote from Slitherine's ScottP on their forums:
"Panzer Corps on iPad - Q3 2012"

WHOOHOO!!!

Yes, yes I am more than a little excited.
Conquest! is coming to the iOS as well. Awesome.