Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilel View Post
Avernum is a much deeper game, with more choices and consequences, more tactical and challenging combat, more scope, several interweaving narratives, etc.
I thought it had the same combat engine as Avadon. The demo of Avernum on the Mac, at least from what I see, looks and plays just like Avadon on my iPad.

"More tactical and challenging combat"? If that's true I might also pick up Avernum. As I mentioned the story-line is engaging and although the graphics look almost identical to Avadon (but positioned differently) new challenging combat just might tip the scale for me. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 PM
iPad, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I thought it had the same combat engine as Avadon. The demo of Avernum on the Mac, at least from what I see, looks and plays just like Avadon on my iPad.
They look alike because it's the same developer and he's just one guy. He's not going to re-do everything from scratch every time... but from my point of view as someone who has played the older games, Avadon is clearly the streamlined one, and Avernum is what his games used to be like.

Quote:
"More tactical and challenging combat"?
Having a party of four that is entirely created by you instead of one player character plus two NPCs does a lot for tactical combat too. Avadon tried to prevent you from making certain mistakes, but removing options always removes some tactical complexity.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:36 PM

Default Anernum -- purchased

Okay, just as a follow-up I went ahead and purchased Avernum last night. With over 20 hours of Avadon under my belt (most of the quests) I have to say that I do like Avernum better.

Thanks all for your input on the differences between the two games. Yeah, the graphics are nearly the same but I personally like the story line in Avernum more and the character creation and leveling options (all of the RPG elements) are awesome. The game is more involved given the less "streamlined" gameplay that others have mentioned as compared to Avadon but that's what makes the experience much more enjoyable for some "old school" RPG action. There is also more dialog especially considering the random encounters. There are other differences but I won't spoil the experience for any newcomers by elaborating on them.

Bottom line, if you liked Avadon chances are you'll enjoy Avernum (possibly even more). IMHO the screenshots do not do the game justice and neither does the gameplay video. You really need to spend a little time experimenting with the game directly. For those of you with a Mac take a test drive of the demo available for download on the developers website.

Thanks again! Now I have a good game to keep me busy in my spare time while I await the release of Balder's Gate.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

AVERNUM: ESCAPE FROM THE PIT HD
is one of the nominees for
Touch Arcade Game of the Week
04/04/2012

Do you like this great epic indie fantasy role-playing adventure?

VOTE HERE

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -
Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 AM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Played this back in the early 90's when the series was originally titled Exile. Once more into the breech, dear friends!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM
iPad, iOS 6.x

For those of you who don't have Macs, the Windows version of Avernum was released today, and you can download a demo here:
http://www.avernum.com/avernum/
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I have spent the past couple of nights playing this and at the moment enjoying it even more than Avadon (which I was pretty addicted to).

I am one of the few who really liked the party set up in Avadon. I quite liked the fact that some of the chars were more annoying than others even though that meant I couldnt beat redbeard at the end because I didnt like working with the Sorceress!

That said I am quite enjoying setting up my own party this time, even though my soldier char with his furry he-man underpants looks a bit silly!

I am enjoying the difficulty level and the fact that you are not spoon fed the quests.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Loving this game, I think its somehow better than avadon, the graphics seem better although that might be my iPad 3, but the environments seem to be more varied, great character customisation and building, love the handrawn looking map, combat is great as was the combat in avadon. I've been wondering what to buy this week max Payne or crow but after reading the forums decided I didn't need any of them...il stick with avernum and try an escape this god daym pit!

I want to ask though, what is the character editor thingy, it has a warning about spoiling the game if you switch it onor something like that so I refrained fRom doing so, what is that exactly?

Thanks in advance.
Edit: in case you didn't notice there is an awesome avernum desktop wallpaper on the spiderweb site. Check it out.

Last edited by jaze; 04-13-2012 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 AM

Default Wow. Just wow.

Never played a real RPG of this depth before, really enjoying this. What a brilliant game.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:43 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Never heard of it. Im on the fence (I hate that I care about graphics, but I do care about graphics in some cases). But I am leaning towards trying it based on all the good feedback. (No I havent tried the other one either to compare it to)