Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Just launched a 'free' sale for the weekend. Grab it while you can, and if you already have it and enjoy it, please tell your friends to get it!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/new-world-colony/id395137626?mt=8
Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Some Feedback

Overall, I like the game a lot. have been playing it non-stop since I got it. However, my biggest complaint is that the AI cheats like a mother@#$% - don't know if it's by design, or a bug, but this game is very, VERY hard to beat in single player mode. Easy is hard, and medium is damn near impossible. And the most glaring thing I noticed is that it will occasionally jump deep into your territory and capture hexes of yours that it has no territory near at all. The first time it happened it was so fast I thought maybe I imagined it. But then it just happened again! It completely jumped across one of my territories that was protected by a stone wall (without capturing the territory itself) then proceeded to capture one of my towns in the hex beyond that, and another territory beyond that! If this is an intentional cheat - well, that really sucks. But if it's just a bug, it needs to be fixed. The single-player aspect seems to suffer from a variety of balance issues. Maps are unbalanced and no matter how careful and efficient I try to be at resource gathering, the AI always seems to have a lot more resources than I do, even if I try matching it play for play and we have the same ammount of land, structure types, etc. etc. Very annoying. The worst imbalance seems to be with Colony points. I've seen the AI capture 3 of my hexes in one move (when they had less than 20 CP at the beginning of the turn to start with), build walls all over the place, and still manage to crank out more towns/forts on the next move. Where is it getting all of these resources from? No matter how much I try to keep food/wood/stone/CP points balanced, I'm always hamstrung by lack of resources. This just does not seem like "fair" play to me.

Fortunately, I haven't noticed these kind of glaring issues with multiplay, but I haven't played nearly as much of it since my friends who have it tend to take hours (or a day) to respond with their turns. I will have to play a few more games to determine if the same kind of issues occur.

anyway, sorry to rant, but seeing the AI so blatantly run rampant over me and do things like skip hexes to capture my towns is just aggravating. Overall, I find a lot to like about the game. I wish that Uniwar had been able to combine resource gathering with combat the way this game does (that game also had it's own slew of balance issues - another discussion). I will say that this game looks and plays a lot smoother than that one did, nice graphics and zoom mode, and the interface is very comfortable on my tiny iphone screen (and I have fat fingers). If I could offer a couple of other suggestions, I'd like to see some kind of email or banner "push" notification when it is my turn in multiplayer. At the moment I only see a ding on the multiplayer menu button from the main menu, so if I'm in a single player game or not in the game at all I have no way of knowing when my turn comes up.

don't get me wrong, I do like the game. I would just like it more if I didn't occasionally feel like hurling my iphone across the room every now and then when i play it in single player (good thing I have an OtterBox ).

thanks, and look forward to upcoming patches.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

The issue where the AI jumps over territories is definitely a bug. One other user reported the same thing. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce it on my end in order to fix it. Do you notice any patterns on when this issue happens? E.g. Is it in late-stage games where you have a lot of walls?

And you do have the most recent version, right?

Some other tips that might help - don't trade too much early on. Sometimes it's better to only take one action in a turn rather than trading a lot of one resource to build something. Also don't build towns too early, and don't build them until the region is complete.

Let me know if you notice any other instances of the AI cheating. It definitely wasn't designed that way, so it would always indicate a bug and any information about it is helpful.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Just wanted to let people know I'll be at PAX East today (Friday). Probably will be hanging out in the board game area for most of the time. Drop me a note (erik@82apps.com or on twitter @82apps) if you want to meet up and play a match, or check out the sequel that I'm working on.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

A player pointed out to me that there are some situations where limiting the 1st player to 1 AP can still be exploited with a custom map. Basically, the 1st player can surround the 2nd player every time on their first move by settling a bunch of water.

It seems to me the only way to get around this is to make settling water cost 1 AP (it currently costs no AP, so you can settle as much water as you have resources). I may compensate for this by lowering the cost of settling water, maybe to 5 food and 5 wood.

Does anybody have any big concerns about this change? Do you think it would break the game in any way or significantly affect strategy?

Here's some images of this exploit in action:

Old 05-19-2012, 03:19 AM
iPad Air 2, iOS 8.x

Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster

There is a new Update ... DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE!

After starting the game it hangs on the 'new Social zone' start screen! On my both iPads ... iPad 2 and iPad 3!

Well, last postings for real update ideas (fixed starting positions for custom maps) were not even answered ... instead now this 'social zone' ....

This is a shame!

Last edited by Mythbuster; 05-19-2012 at 03:22 AM..
Old 05-19-2012, 03:49 AM
iPad Air 2, iOS 8.x

Update ... Without any internet connection I get an error message ... but I can play after that ...

Why is there no option that I can play without the 'social zone' at all? No chance to disable it ...

With this update it goes down in my rating from five to two stars!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Oh no! Sorry, the Social Zone is supposed to be completely optional. It's not supposed to even prompt you automatically. Will investigate today and see how quickly I can fix this. I did make some rule changes that should prevent unfair map starts, so that's why I didn't implement the forced start position.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 AM
iPad Air 2, iOS 8.x

Hi, thanks for your answer. My whish for fixed starting points has a simple reason: I made some boards like chessboards for two players where both sides 100% identical. But sometimes the AI player takes not 'the right' starting point ... so, it would be a very nice optional feature for the map generator.

Right now 'Social Zone' makes the game freeze for me. I get just the window but I cannot type on 'yes' or 'no' ... it hangs just there ...

Only without any internet connection I can play. Then I get an error window that an Internet connection is needed. After closing it I can play ... I have this on both iPads!

So yes, please try to fix it.

Regards,
Mythbuster
Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Ah, that's an interesting point. I'll see if I can come up with a good solution that doesn't require a lot of rewriting.

FYI, the new version was just released that fixes the glitch that caused the Social Zone to appear every time and freeze.