Support our Sponsors:

Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Which WiiMotes to use?

Hello all, newbie jailbreaker here. Since finally taking the plunge to jailbreak my iPad2, I purposely picked up both a new, black, Nintendo-brand Wii Remote (with MotionPlus built-in) and also a Classic Controller Pro to go with it. I can run various configuration utilities that "see" the Nintendo RVL-CNT-01-TR device, but a full connection occurs when the remote's 4-LED bank glows steadily on just one light. So far, this remote blinks on all four LED's or not at all.

On a hunch, I went out to a second-hand store and bought some used WiiMotes - two Nintendo and one third-party - plus a used Classic Controller add-on. It turns out that the two older Nintendo WiiMotes were able to connect to my iPad no problem and the third-party unit would not. Also, now I had two Classic Controllers to test.

So I've learned a few things.
A) Not all WiiMotes are guaranteed to work.
B) Even Nintendo-brand Wiimotes are not all guaranteed to work.
C) MotionPlus may or may not be a factor in the success of BT connection.
D) The Classic Controller plug-ins (plain and Pro) will work, but it seems not all emulators recognize them (despite some of them claiming otherwise).

Is there an existing list somewhere that explains how to identify compatible controllers?

BTW I'm using MAME4iOS Reloaded 1.1, and also SNES9x EX.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 PM

I don't remember the exact change in model number although I think it's the ones without TR at the end that work.

Basically anything made after October/November 2011 will not work as of now.

Wiimotes with "Wiimotion plus inside" written on the wiimote can work, if they were made before november 2011 that is (I have one white one that works).

You can use any wiimote accessory that connects to wiimote itself as far as I know. I use the official Nintendo Super Famicom/SNES controllers and they work, I also have arcade sticks that work (including the official Neo geo stick for Wii)

Last edited by Mr.Z; 04-15-2012 at 06:31 PM..
Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Cool, thanks for your reply. Perhaps I should stock up on old second-hand units... with the side benefit that they will be cheaper.

I suppose third-party remotes are a hit-and-miss affair?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:16 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default New issues

Thanks. But I've just run into a new situation - is there any state where a plug-in controller will no longer be recognized, despite working before? MAME4iOS now no longer sees my CCP, and also seems fussier in recognizing an older WiiMote which was known specifically to work a few days ago.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Maybe you mess up the timing, it used to happen to me when I started using them with my ipad over a year ago, when you press sync and then press 1 and 2 on the wiimote if you happen to press accidentally only 1 or 2 sometimes or not both at the same time the sync search will find nothing and then you press 1 and 2 again and it just doesn't seem to sync, quit the app and try again, once you get the hang of it this shouldn't happen anymore.

Maybe your bluetooth got disoriented too, either turning it off and on or maybe even restarting the ipad should definitely fix it, otherwise seems like a faulty wiimote but I would think that's very unlikely.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default OKay, getting there...

OK, restarting my iPad (which is thankfully untethered) brought back proper and quick Bluetooth connections to my original WiiMote.

I got a new I-Con WiiMote which will connect to iPad, but which seems to disallow CCP. Is that right?

Also, is there such a thing where an original Nintendo WiiMote will work one day, then steadfastly refuse to even light up afterwards??
Old 04-19-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo2000 View Post
OK, restarting my iPad (which is thankfully untethered) brought back proper and quick Bluetooth connections to my original WiiMote.

I got a new I-Con WiiMote which will connect to iPad, but which seems to disallow CCP. Is that right?

Also, is there such a thing where an original Nintendo WiiMote will work one day, then steadfastly refuse to even light up afterwards??
No if the light doesn't even go on this means either battery is dead or it isn't functioning properly, never had that happen though.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Thanks. And what about:

"...a new I-Con WiiMote which will connect to iPad, but which seems to disallow CCP. Is that right?"
Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo2000 View Post
Thanks. And what about:

"...a new I-Con WiiMote which will connect to iPad, but which seems to disallow CCP. Is that right?"
Sorry but I don't know what that is.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I-Con Wiimote here, except mine is blue.

CCP: Classic Controller Pro