Support our Sponsors:

Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I think that the essential element of his criticism is correct - that some developers release poorly translated ports of their popular console games to iOS with the intention of cashing in on their brand rather than producing a quality gaming experience. This is the analogy to the Tiger LCD games which sold versions of popular games on the reputation of the brand alone, the gameplay being vastly inferior to the original. That they are producing an entirely new Meatboy game for iOS rather than cashing in on an inferior port indicates two things, first that they have a respect for their product and the gamer, and also that they probably came to respect some of the amazing games that have been created natively for the platform as well as their creative developers. Although the iPhone is my primary console, I think that it is legitimate to criticize the app store which perhaps produces at least a hundred poorly made games for every decent one that is released. In the end it may be less about Team Meat trying to cash in, as evidenced by the creation of a new game from the ground up, and more about meeting a demand that has been created by iOS gamers. If you follow user reviews, it has become almost cliche to describe a good platformer as "the closest thing to Super Meatboy on iOS." Last year they even endorsed Cheeseman which was inspired by Meatboy, by allowing the use of their logo and character. Personally, I admire Team Meat's creative work and look forward to playing the new game.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:47 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
Oh, so now I *have to* get peripherals to enjoy the game? Besides, it's not exactly the controls I have a problem with, it's the handling. I don't like the slipperiness - it is not precise.

Look, it's a game that I happen to not like. End of story.
You're wasting your energy, man. You know that in the gamer world, if you don't like a game it's because...well, you're just bad.

As an aside, I'm looking forward to this game (if real), and I'm glad they want to make a game that works with the strengths of the interface, rather than try and shoehorn virtual controls in an attempt to appease gamers used to a certain paradigm. Whether "douchy" (as someone labeled them) or not, I have faith these guys can make a fun game on iOS. Really, that's all that matters to me. My faith they can do that was only affirmed by them admitting that virtual controls are a poor, anemic substitute for a more organic approach to the interface. Rather than fight it, take a little extra time and effort to find a sweet spot that makes sense for the platform.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Tommy Refenes, creator of Super Meat Boy, provides a response to his prior App Store criticisms:

http://bit.ly/IGRJKn