Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Ascension is one of the best asynch games on the platform IMHO. It is not really like Magic. It isn't a "collectible card game", rather it is a "deck building" game like Dominion (though it plays pretty differently from Dominion - it's a lighter game than that).

One key difference being that you don't buy (with real money) your way to victory. Rather everyone has access to the same pool of cards and everyone starts with the same cards in their deck. As the game progresses you "buy" (with "runes") cards to add to your deck, and try to build a deck that will win the game for you. Thus "deck building". It does look like Magic as it was designed by some Magic players, but it is a different type of game. I don't enjoy games like Magic much, but I love Ascension.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
Starbase Orion...bar none!
If yer looking for a very deep, sophisticated async experience, with long matches, in-depth turns and micromanagement aplenty, GoofyJmaster has the truth of it: there is nothing even remotely close to Starbase Orion for iOS. The game is basically a real desktop-class 4X game, not far from Masters of Orion and Civilization. Colonize and conquer the galaxy through military might, economic expansion or espionage (with diplomacy on the way), design and produce your own ships, customize your own race before the match, research techs, build buildings, and use ship-specific orders before battles to change the outcome (which makes for a surprisingly deep passive battle system).

It also enjoys some of the best developer attention and support on the platform (or probably on any platform). Rocco (the single dev) sends out new betas several times a week, and app store updates probably once a month. These updates do far more than just polish the game: so far, he has added new ship systems and weapons, new techs to be researched, leaders with specific abilities for colonies and ships, new async functions, options for customized games, user-configurable build queues that are saved for future matches, and plenty of new in-game functions (from auto-upgrading of old ship equipment, ship naming and fleet summaries to tons of convenience features and UI improvements).

With diplomacy and more advanced win conditions on the way, my guess is that Starbase Orion will grow for a long time. But, regardless, what is already there is a far more advanced async experience than anything else.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Jenga!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM

I don't know if there is a newer thread for discussion of asynchronous games so I'm reviving this one. Lately I've been loving Super Stickman Golf 2 and am looking for recommendations for similar games. Obviously I'm not particularly looking for golf games, but sports games or other similar games like SSG2 would be great. I've had my share of games such as the "with Friends" games and am not really looking for more of those, but I wouldn't rule it out if it's recommended highly enough. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I don't know if there is a newer thread for discussion of asynchronous games so I'm reviving this one. Lately I've been loving Super Stickman Golf 2 and am looking for recommendations for similar games. Obviously I'm not particularly looking for golf games, but sports games or other similar games like SSG2 would be great. I've had my share of games such as the "with Friends" games and am not really looking for more of those, but I wouldn't rule it out if it's recommended highly enough. Thanks.

I started and update a thread for the tatics type asynchronous multipler games like Hero Academy, but you probably saw that thread when you did your search already so I guess that isnt your thing.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
I started and update a thread for the tatics type asynchronous multipler games like Hero Academy, but you probably saw that thread when you did your search already so I guess that isnt your thing.
I actually didn't see it and don't know anything about Hero Academy so I will take a look at the thread to see if it interests me. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Can I jump in with some pimpage here?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I actually didn't see it and don't know anything about Hero Academy so I will take a look at the thread to see if it interests me. Thanks.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ghlight=asynch

My favorite is Hero Academy but a lot of them are good including Outwitters and Great Big War Game. I am less fond of the ones that are ports from board games because the interfaces tend to be small and hard to figure out, but they are all linked in my thread. Once you have tried a few post there with your thoughts
Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Can I jump in with some pimpage here?
My brother loved number one.
Hows the community on this?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 AM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by saansilt View Post
My brother loved number one.
Hows the community on this?
Pretty busy, we have a forum here: www.rubicondev.com/forum and there's usually about 3,500 multiplayer games going at once.

A big update is planned once we ship Combat Monsters too.