Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-24-2011, 05:46 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

It's pretty good for retro graphics. It kind of looks like a high res ultima7. The tactics is fairly clever as well, but it gets bloody hard at some bits like the bosses with the linear story meaning you can't dodge these combats. If you get bored quickly you might make it as far as the boss in the desert that the dragon sends you against which is five or six hours in.

If you like tactics games like tactics ogre, you'll find this less complex, and maybe a little easy, although it certainly isn't easy. The best part is the story of course. It has very rich story tellng, that you would expect from a bottom shelf fantasy novel.

Anyway, this game is exactly what I'm looking for, but it's retro-RPG.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:44 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

I like complex rpg as battle for wesnoth and FFT how this compared to them
Old 11-24-2011, 08:04 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Sry u already answered
Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Issues with iPad 3rd gen? Cannot get rid of character selection screen.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

After I spent 11 straight hours getting a professional assignment finished, I thought I deserved a small break before the next one. So I caved in and bought Avadon.

I've played a few hours, completing the initial quest and performing a few side quests, and getting a better feel for the world and politics in which I find myself.

As others have previously said, classic CRPG / WRPG mechanics i.e. fixed classes, small skill / talent tree to allow you to develop your play-style for your class, turn-based combat, but with an emphasis on strong story-telling and believable and convincing characters.

The characters that you meet have personalities, motivations and act in a convincing manner which is consistent with the world. You find out about the immediate situation, as well as the political realities and rivalries, little by little.

One of the strongest aspects of the game is the nuanced approach to moral choices. As you meet and converse with other characters, you get different perspectives and world-views. The dialogue and interaction choices are realistic and consistent, without forcing a moral viewpoint. Your moral compass to guide you is your own - the dialogue and narrative provide a framework for you to interact with the world without Hollywood re Bioware style expositions.

My character (Tiger Benson) is a Shaman, and I'm focusing her talent tree predominantly on her Wolf Spirit (ranged attack) and pet summoning. Later she'll focus on defensive buffs for party members. The way she has developed in the initial stages is as being a little naive and idealistic; eager to prove her competence. She believes that The Pact is the most efficient method of achieving the greater good in terms of providing order and stability, even if some of the actual realities prove to be a little distasteful.

She's just and honourable, and I'm eager to see how well she retains her idealism as she develops a better understanding of the world, and her part in it.

One poster hit it nail on head for me, when they commented that the strength of Avadon is in believable characters and an engaging story that provides questions in your mind about the world long after your gaming session has ended.

Last edited by Riotgirl; 04-17-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM

Is the story/system related to the "newer" Avernum? Just a noob question, thank you.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:20 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
Is the story/system related to the "newer" Avernum? Just a noob question, thank you.
pretty good question, imo. id like to know as well.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:36 AM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post

As far as I know the, the worlds of Avernum and Avadon are completely separate. Avernum is set completely underground, for instance. Storyline wise, I haven't yet encountered any correlation between either game. (Though I could be wrong)

The game's engines are, for all graphical intents and purposes, the same. Gameplay wise, they play similarly with a couple of important exceptions: Avadon is fairly linear in it's story progression whereas Avernum gives the player a substantial amount of freedom. In Avernum, for the most part, you can explore where you want, when you want - however, incautious exploration of the huge game world is likely to end in the doom of your group of intrepid adventurers.

Speaking of which, Avadon has (apart from the main player character) a set group of companions. In Avernum you customize your entire party from the beginning. You want an entire party of mages? Fine. Have fun with that. There is no set "Class system" necessarily. The skill trees are different in both games, reflecting the differences between the two (Avernum leaning towards flexibility, and Avadon towards a tighter, more focused game).

Both can be rather absorbing.

Last edited by pandavillain; 04-19-2012 at 02:40 AM..
Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanations. I reckon that these two are very absorbing both in terms of gameplay and $$$ :P

They are right on my wish list after I read it on Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

How balanced are the classes in avernum. Is there a 'best setup' or can you succeed fairly easily with any combination (all mages to use your example?)