Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 PM
iPad 2

Default Game Impressions

wow, i don't post at all, but after playing this game, felt compelled to say, wtf...
same gripes as others mainly, but sweet moses the movement in the game drives me up the wall....it's completely broken. Movement is not swift or responsive and does not provide for a fun playing experience but rather one of frustration and fighting to try get the character to do what you want it to.
And what the heck is with bouncing off walls and not being able to control the character then.... he just completely bounces hard in the opposite direction, which breaks any corrections you could potentially make from accidentally wall clinging (which seems to happen often).
This game has so much potential, the art is awesome, the sound and music are great, but right now the fun is completely ruined by the horrible movement.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstreblemusic View Post
wow, i don't post at all, but after playing this game, felt compelled to say, wtf...
same gripes as others mainly, but sweet moses the movement in the game drives me up the wall....it's completely broken. Movement is not swift or responsive and does not provide for a fun playing experience but rather one of frustration and fighting to try get the character to do what you want it to.
And what the heck is with bouncing off walls and not being able to control the character then.... he just completely bounces hard in the opposite direction, which breaks any corrections you could potentially make from accidentally wall clinging (which seems to happen often).
This game has so much potential, the art is awesome, the sound and music are great, but right now the fun is completely ruined by the horrible movement.
Of course, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but while I agree with some of the gripes, the game's far from being completely broken.

I really don't mind the movement/controls as much as others. Only issue I have is that little icy feeling when you land. I've fallen off a few small platforms due to this. But overall, I'm having fun. And it's a very impressive effort.

To each their own, though. Just think it's a game well worth taking a chance on IMO.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Didn't notice the release yesterday. The trailer looks awesome. From Sanuku's video, the controls definitely look terrible though. Will wait for it to get updated.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Didn't notice the release yesterday. The trailer looks awesome. From Sanuku's video, the controls definitely look terrible though. Will wait for it to get updated.
The controls are not terrible at all. Anybody who gets that impression from the comments here or from Sanaku's video is frankly wrong. There are basically two issues: the character inertia is a bit too high (which accounts for the "struggling to keep the character under control" comment above) and the action button is placed too far away from the jump button. The d-pad is a matter of preference: the current one is very responsive but a tad small for some folks.

Now, the interesting thing about the inertia is that is pretty much at the same level as that of the original SMB. Modern platformers (including the 3DS Super Mario World) have seriously toned down inertia, which is why it can be frustrating here. Most hardcore platformer fans will tell you that it's the "stop on a dime" platformers that are broken. Personally, I'd rather have less inertia (see "Rayman Origins"), but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy this game.

It's great to have options, and I'm sure that the developer doesn't want anyone to miss out on this game because they don't like a particular button set up. But that's a far cry from saying that the controls are terrible or broken.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Send a message via Skype™ to PlayFripp

Hi guys,
Thanks again for your feedbacks

So quickly:
- @metalcasket Yes, retina will be added to Wawa Land. But, there are lot of technicals issues with it, so I will not add it before 2 months, to release it perfect.

- Controls: @basstreblemusic I am really sorry that you have problems with the controls... You are the first person to have so much problems with them.
That said, I see that there is a problem with them, so it is my top priority for the updates to add a custom ui system.
I will try to include: the actual controls (default), because a large majority of people seems confortable with them / the ability to scale and move button/directional cross / 3 different directional cross (the current one / a joystick / a classic cross +).
There are also gamers which likes the ability to put the directional cross -almost- everywhere, so I will try something for that too.
I think that this will makes happy 99% percent of the players (with a little bit less of inertia ).

- To everyone so much thanks for your support! I am really happy to see that a large part of you likes my game. I will do all I can, to enhance the game all along the updates
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Excellent list of updates, thank you so much!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
The controls are not terrible at all. Anybody who gets that impression from the comments here or from Sanaku's video is frankly wrong. There are basically two issues: the character inertia is a bit too high (which accounts for the "struggling to keep the character under control" comment above) and the action button is placed too far away from the jump button. The d-pad is a matter of preference: the current one is very responsive but a tad small for some folks.

Now, the interesting thing about the inertia is that is pretty much at the same level as that of the original SMB. Modern platformers (including the 3DS Super Mario World) have seriously toned down inertia, which is why it can be frustrating here. Most hardcore platformer fans will tell you that it's the "stop on a dime" platformers that are broken. Personally, I'd rather have less inertia (see "Rayman Origins"), but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy this game.

It's great to have options, and I'm sure that the developer doesn't want anyone to miss out on this game because they don't like a particular button set up. But that's a far cry from saying that the controls are terrible or broken.
Sounds good to me, thanks. Will check it out tomorrow then.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:39 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayFripp View Post
@metalcasket Yes, retina will be added to Wawa Land. But, there are lot of technicals issues with it, so I will not add it before 2 months, to release it perfect.
Amazing. You have nothing but my utmost respect and admiration, and it still blows my mind that all of this...all of it...was made by one person. Incredible effort, and it's honestly a pleasure having Wawa Land on my phone.

Should I repost that YES! video from the upcoming thread?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Enjoyed the hell out of 1-4. That was a treat!

Last edited by CygnetSeven; 04-17-2012 at 11:50 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Alrighty... So... Going through world 1, I had quite a few crashes... But it wasn't game breaking or anything.

Now in World 2 since last night, and after about another hour of trying to progress through the game, and I can't get through the first level of world 2 because of all the crashing.

4th gen touch, iOS 5.1, never jailbroken, cleared multitasking bar, hard reset... No luck.

I'd start playing on my iPad if it weren't for the controls positioning...

But I guess the good news... I got comfortable with the d-pad and the inertia by the end of world 1. So there's a plus. =oP