Support our Sponsors:
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 AM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default A question on iCloud saves

I've only had a device capable of iCloud saves for a couple of months and never really paid too much attention to it (except when I had to delete IB2 to be able to get the last update).

That said, sometimes I want to try a new game and have to delete something else to make room for it.

So here's the question, when I go into iCloud settings, it lists just 5 games under "Documents & Data". But under Backups for my iPhone, it has a bunch of other games listed as having backups "on". Some of them have no data, but others do.

So do all of the ones that have data sizes have a "save" backup? Or is it just the 5 games that are under Documents and Data?

Just would be helpful to know whether I could delete one of those other games that have a "backup" and know that I could pick up where I left off if I reinstalled it.

Last edited by awp69; 04-19-2012 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default

I *think* I answered my own question. The games listed under backups (much more than the 5 listed on the main iCloud screen) do endup backing up saves from what I can tell. Just tried it on one game that I wasn't far in, Raid Leader, and after reinstallation, it saved where I was.

If anyone can confirm before I delete any others, it would be greatly appreciated. I know iCloud wasn't always dependable at the beginning, but understand it's better now.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Pitta Pitta is online now
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
I *think* I answered my own question. The games listed under backups (much more than the 5 listed on the main iCloud screen) do endup backing up saves from what I can tell. Just tried it on one game that I wasn't far in, Raid Leader, and after reinstallation, it saved where I was.

If anyone can confirm before I delete any others, it would be greatly appreciated. I know iCloud wasn't always dependable at the beginning, but understand it's better now.
As far as I know and experienced, no.
If you delete a game and then do some iCloud backups...after a while the data inside ths backup goes away, so if you reinstall the game you will restart from scratch.
If the data are OUTSIDE the backup, ie in the iCloud documents data panel, then you can delete and switch devices as you want.
I really wish that Apple (optionally) could retain data for every app (even deleted one) in the backup portion...so without dev support (which is necessary for using the iCloud data and documents portion) we at least could retain saves forever.
As it is now...a new backup overwrites the previous one (deleting app data for your deleted apps).
You recovered the data because probably you didn't had a backup since you deleted the app.
I've noticed that SOMETIMES some app data survive 1 or 2 backups, but you can't rely on that unfortunately.

If anyone have different experiences...let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitta View Post
As far as I know and experienced, no.
If you delete a game and then do some iCloud backups...after a while the data inside ths backup goes away, so if you reinstall the game you will restart from scratch.
If the data are OUTSIDE the backup, ie in the iCloud documents data panel, then you can delete and switch devices as you want.
I really wish that Apple (optionally) could retain data for every app (even deleted one) in the backup portion...so without dev support (which is necessary for using the iCloud data and documents portion) we at least could retain saves forever.
As it is now...a new backup overwrites the previous one (deleting app data for your deleted apps).
You recovered the data because probably you didn't had a backup since you deleted the app.
I've noticed that SOMETIMES some app data survive 1 or 2 backups, but you can't rely on that unfortunately.

If anyone have different experiences...let me know.
That does suck. Probably could have just been that I deleted and redownloaded Raid Leader immediately afterwards so the backup was still there.

It's sad. The whole iCloud thing is a great idea, but there are few games that actually use it. So the backup thing, in theory, would be great. Apple says we have a "free" 5 GB of storage. Why can't our backups for things like gamesaves stay there permanently or at least until that storage is filled up? They even have the option to buy more storage.

Oh well, guess it was just wishful thinking. It would make life a lot easier juggling apps on my 8 GB iPhone 3GS to not have to worry about losing progress if I wanted download something like Max Payne and have to delete a whole bunch of stuff to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Leegames Leegames is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini 2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 842
Default

iExplorer is a great way to save you games and then ad them to your file later. Worked like a charm for me so far (latest game I used it on was Hunters 2).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegames View Post
iExplorer is a great way to save you games and then ad them to your file later. Worked like a charm for me so far (latest game I used it on was Hunters 2).
Doesn't that require your iPhone/iPod Touch to be jailbroken?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2012, 03:58 PM
crunc crunc is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Doesn't that require your iPhone/iPod Touch to be jailbroken?
iExplorer does not require being jailbroken. You just need to hook your iOS device your computer via the syncing cable and then run iExplorer.

iCloud is a disappointment. In Swordigo the resuits weren't even remotely satisfactory. I ended up stuck playing on my iPhone because it refused to go to iCloud and upload the save, so my save on the iPad was way behind. 2 days later it finally went to the cloud and I was able to get my save back on my iPad. From then on I stuck to playing on the iPad. Disappointing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
iExplorer does not require being jailbroken. You just need to hook your iOS device your computer via the syncing cable and then run iExplorer.

iCloud is a disappointment. In Swordigo the resuits weren't even remotely satisfactory. I ended up stuck playing on my iPhone because it refused to go to iCloud and upload the save, so my save on the iPad was way behind. 2 days later it finally went to the cloud and I was able to get my save back on my iPad. From then on I stuck to playing on the iPad. Disappointing.
Thanks. Might have to give iExplorer a try. Only issue with that I guess is that don't you have to back up the whole ipa file and not just a "save". So if the game's like a gig, then that's a gig you have to wait for? (This is also a personal issue as my aging PC's USB ports have started to give me problems and I often have to use USB 1.0 ports resulting in slow connections. Stangely, the original, older ports are the ones that do work.).

It's bad enough that iCloud "backups" aren't permanent, but it's even worse when a game is advertised as supporting cloud saves and they still don't work.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent