Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Having played it a bit now, I can't justify keeping it when I have the PC version. The controls during battle are arcadey comapred to the original, and the gameplay isn't suited to the small screen. The graphics look a bit blocky and garish on my iPhone 4S, and there was a couple of stutters during sailing. The omission of my favourite part of the game (the land invasions) , combined with the massive filesize has seen me happily delete this. I might install it again for a holiday, but I won't go near it knowing I can find the more serious version on steam or online for £3-£5.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:35 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Evidently and obviously. As are ALL sentiments. Which is why I posted mine, as an alternative perspective to yours

(I figured you'd all understand that what I posted was not an attempt at objective truth, since a basis of semantic communication, and one of the building blocks of language, is the principle that, with the exception of established scientific fact (which can still be disputed when filtered through a different belief system) and inherent logic ("i.e., "the peak of the mountain is the highest point", logic conclusions that follow necessarily from the established meaning of the words, a form of absolute truth that can only be refuted if we reject our shared communicative premise, either by not accepting language as a means to deliver information, or by disputing the actual meaning of the words) all statements are subjective. Always.

Curiously, you expressed yourself in a similarly absolute manner. "Which amounts to about 1/2 of the fun." I take this as a confirmation that you share the unspoken agreement that all expressions of taste are subjective, and there is no need to preface them with "in my opinion". Which leaves me wondering why you felt the need to point out the subjectiveness of your statement in the first place... )

Anyways, let's get back to the ONLY thing I wrote that really matters Let's make some noise about the lack of invasion mechanics, and perhaps 2K will add them eventually. (They did add custom scenarios to the iPhone version of Civ Rev, for example, after much requesting.)
I took your original post as you finding my statement about the share of fun missing, inaccurate. It seemed like you were trying to give it a more accurate number. I clarified that I was not talking about percentage of gameplay, but amount of fun. Obviously, like you said, subjective. Hope that's cleared it up for you.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Does it work on the second generation ipod touch? All it says is "Requires iOS 4.2 or later."
Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Señor Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Great port. Everything is very polished and the graphics don't look bad for an old-ish game. The controls work wonderfully as well. I can't recommend this enough, especially for such a low price.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

SID MEIER'S PIRATES!
is one of the nominees for
Touch Arcade Game of the Week
18/04/2012

Do you like this exciting high-seas adventure that allows buccaneers to helm one of 27 fully customizable ships?

VOTE HERE

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -
Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

So has anyone found the lost sister yet? •••Spoiler:  I know the completed map says Gallows Shallows but I cannot seem to find it
Old 04-24-2012, 05:48 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadedodger View Post
So has anyone found the lost sister yet? •••Spoiler:  I know the completed map says Gallows Shallows but I cannot seem to find it
Click one the magnifier on the top right, it will open a small map, where you can see all of the objectives once you can track them!
You can even search for some objectives with only 2/4 of a map, but only if you get vital partes, like with a city`s name that is near or sth!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Cheers Razvan, turns out I was trying to track the wind. . Also didn't know that getting clipped in fencing actually negatively affects your health (permanently as far as I'm aware?) and slows your character down!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM

i'm almost shocked this game only has three pages worth of discussion.

as a longtime fan of the original, this game was waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of it's time back then and it's still proves to be one of the best games on the platform.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 AM

also can anyone help me a little during fencing?

the swipes (directions given) don't seem to work. if i'm correct, parry should automatically counter attack no?

also back + up doesn't do jump for me, only PURE up.