Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM

Default MonTowers ~Legend of Summoners~ - (by Buff Stone)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I'm liking the graphics.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 PM

I'm kind of a sucker for Japanese games, so I'll buy lots of random ones off the App Store. When I saw this in AppShopper, I decided to try it out. It's basically a freemium game with a $1 price tag (energy limitations, separate currencies, etc). It's mildly entertaining, but definitely not comparable to Pokemon. The battle system is like Deep Deep Dungeon (I think), if you've ever played that. I think in the end, the only thing I can really give positive feedback about is the graphics.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazarath View Post
I'm kind of a sucker for Japanese games, so I'll buy lots of random ones off the App Store. When I saw this in AppShopper, I decided to try it out. It's basically a freemium game with a $1 price tag (energy limitations, separate currencies, etc). It's mildly entertaining, but definitely not comparable to Pokemon. The battle system is like Deep Deep Dungeon (I think), if you've ever played that. I think in the end, the only thing I can really give positive feedback about is the graphics.
those 2 together... don't make me want to play this D:

if the freemium part wouldn't be there, for the DDD comparison alone i would have gotten it

stupid freemium type games >_>
Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

This looks like Dark Summoner as manga version.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:24 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I'm digging this alot actually...I haven't spent dime too. For me games like this are casual and when it comes time to wait or pay I just ...wait and play the 50 plus other games or multimedia treasures which I haven't played yet...it's a very casual gaming expierience for me...great art and lots of cool monsters to find and make and art is on the money...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

I think I've just beaten the (current) last boss, which was at the 5th tower. If you look at the tower selection screen there are actually 6 towers, and if you look at the monster coin screen, there seem to be a total of 7 towers.

Ok so if you look at the video you'll have a pretty good idea at how the game works. It's extremely simple. Just beat a monster on each floor of the tower to advance. To beat those monsters you need to summon your own monsters.

Battles are done with just one timed click. And that only determines who starts attacking. You have can have up to 3 monsters to defeat your opponent. There are no real special moves or spells you can choose from, just a normal attack depending on the attack value of the monster. Some monster have special abilities that might activate randomly though, like a critical hit or double attack.

To summon monsters you need a monster coin and elemental gems.

Monsters coins you can get through various ways, but mostly through defeating monsters while working your way up the towers. Monsters only drop their 'own' coins. There is a certain droprate for each type of monster. They can be 'common', 'uncommon', 'rare', 'legend' or 'unique' with common having the highest droprate and unique having a very very low drop rate. The 'unique' monsters are the boss from each tower, which have a crazy low droprate. I've only managed to get 1. Once you have a coin you don't need another to do multiple summons.

Elemental gems can be harvested every 3 mins, with a maximum depending on your level. At the lowest level you can harvest only 10 gems at a time. Monster can also be upgraded with gems.

Summoning monsters takes time, some even up to a couple of hours in real-life time. After battles monsters need time to recover their lost HP, so you can't just keep fighting. Summoned monsters that die are dead.

This is where the freemium part comes in. You can use tokens to speed up the timer on gems, summoning and getting random monster coins. With tokens you can also buy potions to heal your injured monsters.

I played this quite excessively the last couple of days so it's quite addicting. I cheated many times though by skipping the time on my ipod... I really like the artwork. You can upgrade monsters and with each upgrade the monsters look a bit different which is a very nice detail.

I haven't spend any money buying extra tokens as you get a limited amount just by playing the game.

Some info that isn't really explained in the game:
-As you level, your summoned monsters also increase in (a little bit) power.
-Also at every ten levels the maximum amount of gems you can harvest at a time increases.
-As I mentioned the drop rate on legend or unique coins is extremely low. I tried getting a coin from a legend/unique grade monster in the last tower but after 50+ tries, I still didn't get any. Which is just stupid.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:04 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Default A few tips

Ok so I've been kind of obsessed with this game. The above post is a nice overview. I've finished all the available towers and I have 137 out of 140 tower monster coins and 13 out of 20 mix monsters( monsters you can only get by mixing two other monsters after you obtain a recipe). There are a possible 200 tower monsters to collect but 60 must be for towers that are coming in an update.
A few tips:
-Common and uncommon monster coins are fairly easy to get by defeating the monster. Probably between 1 to 20 tries.
-Rare monster coins take an average of maybe 20 to 40 tries.
-Legend and unique monster coins are nearly impossible to get by fighting. I got maybe 2 by defeating them. The most times I've tried and failed with one monster is about 100.
-the easiest way to get the hard to get monster coins is Gatcha. You pay 5 tokens to get a random rare, lengend, or unique monster coin or a recipe for a mix monster.
-Don't pay money for tokens. You get a token every time you summon a monster. Just summon a zombie (requires 2 soul gems) then summon a catwoman(1 earth gem, 1 fire gem). Then unsommon the monsters. This will get you 2 tokens every 20 seconds. When you run out of gems, buy more with 3 tokens and repeat.

If anyone has any questions I'll check back here and try to help.

Last edited by RHess00; 04-28-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Old 04-28-2012, 12:20 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Loving this game as something easy to pick up and put down fast. I really hope they add more to it. Only complaint is there is no way to see the odds of getting certain rarity monsters. Sometimes you can fight one 5 times and get it and then another of the same rarity will take you 50+ attempts. You can buy potions with coins, but if you could buy an item that increases the chances of a capture, I'd be a lot more willing to spend coins on that and consider putting extra money into the game.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:47 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirenx View Post
Loving this game as something easy to pick up and put down fast. I really hope they add more to it. Only complaint is there is no way to see the odds of getting certain rarity monsters. Sometimes you can fight one 5 times and get it and then another of the same rarity will take you 50+ attempts. You can buy potions with coins, but if you could buy an item that increases the chances of a capture, I'd be a lot more willing to spend coins on that and consider putting extra money into the game.
Yeah I emailed Buffstone to ask about coin drop rates and all they told me was common coins have a high chance and rare coins have a little chance. Not very helpful. I think it changes with each successive tower too. It seems like rare coins are even more rare in the last couple towers.