★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Do you know any scary gamers?

04-21-2012, 04:05 AM
Do you know any scary gamers?

In honour of my original thread, where I misspelt the title, please share your experience of scary gamers.

As a kid I would play my SNES on the living room TV, much to my mum's dismay. If she, or anyone said a word, and my character so happened to die, I would turn into Raegan from The Excorcist and hurl the worst abuse imaginable at her. I was an absolute crunt!

So far I have only moaned at my GF twice for putting me off whilst playing on my iPhone. Lol

Hope fully I have grown up...
04-21-2012, 09:02 AM
This is really more of a Lounge topic...no offense.

I have to say, even though I consider myself to be an avid gamer, I find many if not most other "hardcore" gamers to be pretty darned scary. The level of intensity and outright hatred on display in the comment section of many popular gaming sites is unlike anything else I've seen in other types of fandom. The fact that gamers went out of their way to select EA as the worst company in America says it all in my book.

One of the reasons why appreciate TA is that the community seems (for the most part) way more mature and even keeled.

04-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
This is really more of a Lounge topic...no offense.

I have to say, even though I consider myself to be an avid gamer, I find many if not most other "hardcore" gamers to be pretty darned scary. The level of intensity and outright hatred on display in the comment section of many popular gaming sites is unlike anything else I've seen in other types of fandom. The fact that gamers went out of their way to select EA as the worst company in America says it all in my book.

One of the reasons why appreciate TA is that the community seems (for the most part) way more mature and even keeled.
I think hardcore gaming can potentially detach people from reality thus causing them to act like an animal lol
04-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Play any competitive team-based online game that gives players the ability to communicate with each other. Starcraft II and MW3 are are pretty awful when it comes to all kinds of shit being yelled constantly. Constantly.

Twitter: @back2this
04-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Play any competitive team-based online game that gives players the ability to communicate with each other. Starcraft II and MW3 are are pretty awful when it comes to all kinds of shit being yelled constantly. Constantly.
The funny thing is, in person it's nowhere near as bad. I was at PAX for a bit a couple weeks ago, and the vibe was great: friendly and enthusiastic. Unfortunately, if you get the same folks behind a keyboard they kind of turn into monsters. Gotta love the Internet...
04-22-2012, 06:32 AM
I used to know a kid who was way too into games. his parents bought him the entire video game inventory of a local video store that went out of business . his interaction with me was limited to the phone ringing, me saying hello, him saying "can you come?' and hanging up. when i got there he'd barely look up from playing his game and just hand me a controller. it was fun for a 10 year old, but i kind of wander where on earth that kid is today...

BeatScribe
Original Songs For Less Than $100 Per Song [samples]
04-22-2012, 08:07 AM
i do!!

nd his name was the bat outta hell!!!!1! but hes gone now!!!!

/sarcasm
04-22-2012, 08:28 PM
I used to throw some serious fits as a kid, but that was when I took my games WAY too seriously.

Nowadays I'm pretty mellow, after all, it's just a game. Plenty of other things in life to get worked up about.
04-28-2012, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatScribe View Post
I used to know a kid who was way too into games. his parents bought him the entire video game inventory of a local video store that went out of business . his interaction with me was limited to the phone ringing, me saying hello, him saying "can you come?' and hanging up. when i got there he'd barely look up from playing his game and just hand me a controller. it was fun for a 10 year old, but i kind of wander where on earth that kid is today...
Whoa... what a kid that is. You really should find out where he is.

---------------------------
Mom Says Get Married!!
04-28-2012, 06:35 AM
You know, I googled his name once, it was a very common name, no trace of him.

BeatScribe
Original Songs For Less Than $100 Per Song [samples]