So Bad ... that it's Good? [Help us build a list]

04-21-2012, 01:51 PM

Can't really add anything at this time, but great topic. Love finding games like this. The last one I came across was Muscle March for Wii. Very campy. Would love to find similar abominations on iOS.
04-22-2012, 11:55 PM
I dont know why 774 Deaths is on that list. That game is not bad at all. It's actually very good since the start, just brutally difficult, never bad.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

04-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I dont know why 774 Deaths is on that list. That game is not bad at all. It's actually very good since the start, just brutally difficult, never bad.
Greetings,

I agree with you and would go so far as to say that none of those games are really bad games - that designation was mostly for an eye catching thread title that communicates something of the peculiarity of the games under consideration. What I have in mind are games that make use of an offbeat sense of humor (Enviro-Bear - So Long, Oregon), a peculiarity of design (Four Winds Fantasy - Glitch Tank), or are otherwise just very strange (Time Ducks - Magnetic Shaving Derby). Many people enjoy these games because of, rather than in spite of, their quirks and I would definitely count some of them as among my personal favorites, much desirable alternatives to the prevailing trend of "stupid games."

Game Lists: Retro | Runner | Platformer

Jonathan Blow's Design Reboot Superbrothers Design Reboot

Last edited by retr0spective; 04-23-2012 at 12:36 PM.
04-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0spective View Post
Greetings,

I agree with you and would go so far as to say that none of those games are really bad games - that designation was mostly for an eye catching thread title that communicates something of the peculiarity of the games under consideration. What I have in mind are games that make use of an offbeat sense of humor (Enviro-Bear - So Long, Oregon), a peculiarity of design (Four Winds Fantasy - Glitch Tank), or are otherwise just very strange (Time Ducks - Magnetic Shaving Derby). Many people enjoy these games because of rather than in spite of their quirks and I would definitely count some of them as among my personal favorites, much desirable alternatives to the prevailing trend of "stupid games."
Seconded! Props on maintaining such a list, it is a great compilation of hidden gems.

As a possible addition, do you think 'There Robotic Hearts of Mine' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61aALmR97z0) would qualify?
04-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0spective View Post
Greetings,

I agree with you and would go so far as to say that none of those games are really bad games - that designation was mostly for an eye catching thread title that communicates something of the peculiarity of the games under consideration. What I have in mind are games that make use of an offbeat sense of humor (Enviro-Bear - So Long, Oregon), a peculiarity of design (Four Winds Fantasy - Glitch Tank), or are otherwise just very strange (Time Ducks - Magnetic Shaving Derby). Many people enjoy these games because of rather than in spite of their quirks and I would definitely count some of them as among my personal favorites, much desirable alternatives to the prevailing trend of "stupid games."
Seconded! Props on maintaining such a list. It is a great compilation of hidden gems.

By the way, suggesting another possible addition. Would you think that 'These Robotic Hearts of Mine' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61aALmR97z0) would qualify?
05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Greetings,

These Robotic Hearts of Mine is a fantastic game, but you're right - its a very strange way to tell a story. I added it to the list and thank you for the suggestion.

05-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I also added the recently released Tower of Fortune - King Cashing style retro-minimalist weirdness. Also a fantastic game!

05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Where is Ow My Balls?

the fun ends here
05-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bat Outta Hell View Post
Where is Ow My Balls?
Thanks for the suggestion - I added Ow My Balls!, Curio, Four Hats, Minotaur Rescue, and Minotron 2112.

Last edited by retr0spective; 05-04-2012 at 02:45 PM.
03-02-2013, 03:52 PM
I like to see a game for once that deals with finer aspects of my religious belief system. First time ever I see a game about the rapture event