Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

This game is great, but it does seem engineered to make you play the daily missions in order to save up enough cash to upgrade and progress... Or maybe I'm just bad at TBS games.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyDad View Post
Posted this over on GAF, but it bears repeating, and since there's a good chance the developers will peek their head(s) in, I'll quote myself here:

Well, there's a lot I'm digging about Hunters 2, not least of all the fact that it's as much a defensive game as it is an offensive game (a la Valkyria Chronicles). But one thing is bugging the shit out of me: you can't move past allies. Major flaw for me, especially since I'm already seeing a lot of bottlenecks in the level design. Not moving past enemies? I get that. But allies blocking your path? What the **** is that!?
Also: I really really really really really wish it had iCloud support. Its a game that begs for it. Just disappointing. Fun game though.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:17 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithff View Post
This game is great, but it does seem engineered to make you play the daily missions in order to save up enough cash to upgrade and progress... Or maybe I'm just bad at TBS games.
You can play the daily missions as many times as you'd like. I've racked up about 150k by grinding the easy daily missions with one guy. Great exp, great money.

My only beef with the game is the lack of undo move (or confirm stat point...). Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flunkie View Post
Also: I really really really really really wish it had iCloud support. Its a game that begs for it. Just disappointing. Fun game though.
I agree - I would so love to be able to play this on both devices.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:27 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry Hannahan View Post
Just bought this game and have never played a turn based strategy game before. Any tips?
It's not much different from RTSs or RPGs in terms of strategy - you'll probably want a heavy tank up front with heavy armor followed by some mid range shooters with medium armor and then have a long ranged guy in the back with light armor.

You don't always need to use every action point for each guy - sometimes it's good to save them and use the guard action instead - force the enemy to use up points coming to you.

Make sure to level your guys up when they achieve that level (it doesn't do it for you). Those skill points can make a big difference. Same with the armor and weapons - keep checking the shop for new stuff.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 AM
iPad mini

This falls in my list of games that could have been so much better. The game is already quite good with the basic framework, but could be developed more into expand on it. The games like battleheart fall in this category. I guess this is due to the resources available to a very small outfit.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:25 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyut View Post
This falls in my list of games that could have been so much better. The game is already quite good with the basic framework, but could be developed more into expand on it. The games like battleheart fall in this category. I guess this is due to the resources available to a very small outfit.
Meh, I think that's a bit of a cop-out. There are small groups, even one-man outfits making deeper games. The scope is fine, but it's the attention to gameplay details that is lacking here. For the sale price, I'm fine with it. It's fun in short spurts, but yeah, I do agree -- it could have (and at the full price should have) been more.

Ideally, I'd like to see ally pathing changed to allow allies to pass by each other, less grinding, and a bit more polish when it comes to the mission pacing. Some of these missions are so slow-going, doing mostly the same things: move a couple of spaces, defend, finish off the surrounding enemies, rinse and...well, you know the rest.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:11 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Game Impressions

22 hours later (in 4 days! scary!) I completed the Hunters 2 campaign.
I really enjoyed this...and now I'm very attached to my team, which I'm now using in the daily contracts hoping to improve their skills.
Last chapter forced me to change (several times) my tactics and talents.
If Hunters 3 will have a longer campaign with more dialogues and cutscenes and possibly more environments, it will be even more awesome.
The gameplay part is perfect IMHO, wasn't too bothered by the 'impassable' teammates...forced me to place and move them very carefully (expecially last 2 chapters and some VERY difficult contracts).
I really love the art used in the game...if they manage to put out a compelling world/story/rich lore could be really really great.
It's quite an achivement IMHO that despite the lack of lore and the very generic background, I feel attached to each one of my team and their very distinct capabilities, much more than more famous RPGs characters.

Really looking forward what they have in store next...according to their site they should announce it soon for early 2013.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:36 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

WOW.
Having soooo much unexpected fun now doing the daily contracts.
Some are really nice, even nicer than the campaign...some really tense moments.
Trying to max out my 4 assault rifle squadron team (not the most efficient but I love the rifles).

Loving the game, can't wait for more!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:36 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Love the game, some nuts and bolts questions

Not sure how active this thread is, but I thought I'd jump in.

I discovered Hunters 2 last week and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. I've completed the campaign twice (Jericho and Enhanced Reflex Suit were my Legendaries) and will probably keep playing until I get my squad just the way I want it. Right now their average level is VI.

I was wondering about some design specifics that I didn't see covered here so far.

1. How does "Second Chance" interact with Miniguns? (What does "pitifully low" mean exactly regarding a multiple-shot weapon?). Just going by accuracy percentage, Second Chance provides the biggest gain for Miniguns (25%). My Charger isn't up to spec yet for miniguns and I'm hoping I the talent will work as predicted.
2. Does Massacre work with Rocket Launchers? I wasn't using Rockets at all until winning Jericho from my first campaign; I respeced a Scout (6AP) and that's working out pretty well. However it seems like you could squeeze 6 free AP or maybe 9 out of Massacre with a Rocket Launcher or Sniper Rifle. Just wanted to confirm.
3. Are Chargers the best class for both Miniguns and Rocket Launchers? I was thinking Second Chance, Massacre, and Cripple Shot would all be good for Minigunners, and only Massacre of those three for Rocket dudes.
4. I saw C. Hannum post that Deathgrip Goremanger is the best shotgun in the game (and it's clearly pretty good!). However, I was considering manufacturing a shotgun with all damage and critical, leaving the 75% base accuracy. With Second Chance, 75% base accuracy increases to 93.75%, or a 1/16 miss rate. I can accept that in exchange for an extra 20% critical rate (80% total w/ maxed out skill bonus). Deathgrip Goremanger's accuracy with second chance is a little over 98%, but you lose 20% critical and only gain about 4.5% accuracy.
5. I haven't noticed any real scaling with regards to gear/credits/exp. Exp scales with your damage output, and credits scale very slightly with enemy level. Gear seems to be flat, though. Does any of this ramp up for playing a certain way or at a certain level?

Anyway, happy to discuss this game. Excellent turn-based title.