Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Default Chainsaw Princess - (by Brendan Hutchinson) - Universal App

Quote:
$2.59 => $1.99

Sometimes princesses grow weary of waiting to be rescued, so they fire up a chainsaw and rescue themselves! The trolls that have invaded the sweet and mystical land of Magicandia are in for a surprise as our heroine forgoes the usual pageantry and rampages into their midst--one blood soaked platform at a time! But beware: the lowliest of these creatures can trip her up and destroy her utterly! (Or, at least until you press play again.)

Features:

-An actiony auto side-scroller with 80-90% more chainsaw than the leading competitors

- Beautifully illustrated animations, parallax backgrounds, and full retina display running smoothly at 60 frames per second

- Jumping, and double jumping provided at no extra cost

-Addicting game play that may leave you scratching your head and wondering, "Why would someone make this?"

-Bangin’ electro-pop soundtrack--so good you can’t turn it off!

-Powered by Ansca Corona and built with these two hands--sure to enhance your indie street cred!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Ooh... A runner? RAWR.

Wondering why the game elements look hi-def, but the score looks low res. Same goes with the game instructions and the "Tap to Play"

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 04-22-2012 at 09:06 AM..
Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Banned
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Love the storyline because she's rescuing herself You go girl lol

Instructions do look low resolution. Anyone buy this?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:31 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLover View Post

Instructions do look low resolution. Anyone buy this?
I will... But it isnt out on the PH appstore yet.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:50 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLover View Post
Ha, ha! Yeah, that's pretty funny. Looks like it could be fun for a few, but I already got burned this week by Lady Samurai. Gonna let someone else go first this time.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I like the chainsaw sound effect and the music, but from what I could tell from the video the gameplay doesn't appear to have much to offer. Enemies that are either statues or run in a straight line? What's up with dying when hitting a platform above your head? Looks pretty sloppy. Perhaps a work in progress at best.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I liked the idea of rescuing herself, but really that's all i liked
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Still not out on the PH appstore yet.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I dont think this is worth it at its current price, at its current state.

It's an ok "Stylish Sprint" style runner game with some flaws that can definitely be fixed. There's one fatal flaw that could be considered a glitch though, because it will always cause you to die, even when you did press the right buttons.

Jumping. Jump height isnt controllable with a long hold, or a short tap for high and low jumps respectively. You always jump at max height. This is fine in some runner games, but not on this one. Why? there are ceilings. Jump a gap PERFECTLY only to splat onto the side of the ceiling of the next ramp because you always jump at max height. You can dash through the ceiling as they are breakable with your chainsaw, but then it wouldnt give you control over your landing, and sometimes, the ceiling isnt even visible until it's too late.

This could be avoided by jumping low, but you cant do that in this game. Maybe not yet. I hope the devs look into this. Or maybe they could redo the algorithm for the ceiling.

Another thing which is a good and a bad thing. The game is too zoomed in. It's good because they made the game elements look big and easily visible, while balancing the game's forward speed that still makes oncoming obstacles visible.

However, on the downside, the zoomed in view conceals some ceilings on the next ramps.

Visuals look bright and happy, but most are static sprites (aka non-moving pictures) especially for the enemies and the powerup (which is just unmanly btw, but you are playing as a princess so it doesnt really matter. But still... ). Some moving enemies have 2 or 3 frame animations.

The soundtrack is just one song played in a loop. It's an ok choice of a song I guess, but it's in a genre i dont enjoy listening to, and this game forces you to listen to it. Havent tested if it supports music playing in the background, so you can change the tracks using your own playlists.

The game features local high scores, but no online leaderboards, no achievements, and of course, no GC integration. Also, there arent any other modes or upgrade system. The only successful runners without upgrades systems or other modes are the ones which are already pretty complex in terms of their gameplay. Some may be complex only in the subtlest elements in the game, but it makes it that they become very enjoyable even without upgrades or different modes.

I guess it's still a better runner than a lot of the weakest runners on the appstore, but i wouldnt recommend it at $2 for now, until they make some fixes.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 04-24-2012 at 12:15 PM..