Support our Sponsors:

Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I agree Mike, I have to have something to drown out background noise, especially when I worked in offices with chit-chatty coworkers. Floyds instrumentals are great, some parts of the wall are good for programming, but most of it just leaves me screaming like a madman while typing and trying to imitate that disturbing cackling sound in the live version of 'Run'.

I used to have a coworker with a pink iPod full of heavy metal, Opeth was the only thing i could really listen to from his collection. It was actually pretty chill its own way...I can't understand him either.

Last edited by BeatScribe; 04-22-2012 at 08:17 AM..
Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSz_spokko View Post
Interesting thread indeed

Personally I need something that is above the ambient, something that will "kill all other sounds around me" while at the same time something that I know very, very well. For the first part - various bands, from Pink Floyd, through older Metallica to Opeth and others. For the latter part - since I know the lyrics very well I don't listen to them anymore, and certainly don't focus on understanding them anymore either

However, music from Tron Legacy does the trick even better ! It's so energetic and it feels so right, like it's in perfect sync with my inner rhytm
I think the reason I cannot listen to music while working is because my inner rhythm is so variable. Music is sort of like the equivalent of unwanted Vsync.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

I completely agree with the Beethoven, especially Moonlight Sonata. I find myself listening to that on repeat when I'm developing. Doesn't hog my brains resources, but is nice to listen to when programming.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatScribe View Post
I used to have a coworker with a pink iPod full of heavy metal, Opeth was the only thing i could really listen to from his collection. It was actually pretty chill its own way...I can't understand him either.
Ah, Opeth... I forgot to mention that the one and only album of theirs that I find bearable is Damnation. The ones before... I'm just not into the growling and stuff

Similar thing aplies to Floyds as you said - they have some absolute wonders, but some other songs are so psychedelic they will ruin your work day
Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Ah, that must have been what I had heard. There was no growling, it was just real slow quiet music.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM
iPhone 3GS

I think about this thread now and then as I never did mention any names in particular. A few have mentioned Floyd, which I enjoyed throughout the 90s. Nowadays I like only certain albums from artists, or even only certain tracks. Examples would be Brian Eno - Small Craft on a Milk Sea, Röyksopp - Senior (particularly 'The Alcoholic' which is one of the most mellow songs I've ever played...on loop), then there's more old favourites like Skin And Bones (Foo Fighters), or a random album which seems to have always been listened to The Higher Intellegence Agency - "freefloater"... There's many more of course, and the variety is huge but recently it's all mellow hehe might have something to do with my next game! I'm going to be trying some of the others in this cool thread.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 PM

Tubular Bells I has worked the best along with baroque music.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjump View Post
I think the reason I cannot listen to music while working is because my inner rhythm is so variable. Music is sort of like the equivalent of unwanted Vsync.
+1 .. i prefer silence and open window for fresh air..

but then it also depends what i actually work on.. if its digging deep into code.. silence it is..

if its gfx or any other art related work music can actually help..

sometimes i wish i could listen to music while working on sound effects (which i very much dislike doing)
Old 04-27-2012, 09:25 AM
iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlth View Post
Tubular Bells I has worked the best along with baroque music.
Oh wow parts of the Röyksopp track I mentioned are very reminiscent of Tubular Bells, no wonder I like it thanks for the reminder. Now I gotta go buy that for my friend who emigrated to Austalia! Those were the days, long live Amiga ;-)
Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I love Royksopp too! They have a way of using distortion which I try to emulate but never quite get. Must be all that lovely analog equipment they have. Sadly, my apartment and budget only allow me to conduct 1's and 0's

I love Eno's stuff too, but I haven't heard that album. What track do you recommend? I love the Ghosts album he did with David Byrne. Those songs still sound fresh 20 years later, especially 'strange overtones', how was that song not hugely popular!?