Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I was pretty obsessed with SoTC for awhile. I actually went so far as to calculate the dimensions of all the colossi. I'll never forget the panic I felt when dealing with the one that was shaped like a turtle and his projectile attack.

Although it would never happen, I've always envisioned a movie made out of Another World with no dialogue. The only thing that grated on me with that game were some of the shootout portions where it got a bit too demanding with shooting, shield-generating and rolling bombs seeing as the gun could run out of juice.

Last edited by smegly; 04-19-2012 at 11:08 PM..
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsidegames View Post
Hey guys sorry I didn't see this, I posted in this other thread:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...=130941&page=2

For the record the professional and amateur reviews have been great. 148apps just gave us editors choice 4/5. We get 4/5 on the app store as well, it was just a mis-timed 1.01 update that fragmented our score and allowed a rash of iHaters to take over. Half of the complaints were on price, so we listened and adjusted.

http://www.148apps.com/reviews/crow-review/

Sorry if the price drop affects you personally, my offer in the other thread will always stand.

Richard Cowgill
sunsidegames.com
Well hope you guys make more sales, considering you made a pretty good game. Lovin the game so far.

And yes, I know the feeling of getting burned by a price cut a week or two later, but that's pretty amazing that you're actually reimbursing $2. Like $2?! Really?What has the world come to these days lol. I wonder if people actually have taken up that offer...Either way, hope you guys do well
Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 AM
iPad (4th Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger1103 View Post
Well hope you guys make more sales, considering you made a pretty good game. Lovin the game so far.

And yes, I know the feeling of getting burned by a price cut a week or two later, but that's pretty amazing that you're actually reimbursing $2. Like $2?! Really?What has the world come to these days lol. I wonder if people actually have taken up that offer...Either way, hope you guys do well
Yes, I noticed the price cut, and I bought early, as I helped test it, but still feel it was a good deal all things considered. And the fact the dev feels bad and has offered a return of $2 if someone feels ripped shows what a class act he is! I mean--how many times have you seen THAT!? My guess is nobody will take him up on that and it's just one more reason to support him now and down the line with his next projects as well! Can't wait to see what comes next as the bar has been set pretty high! This game's great, and I wish them well!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:15 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegly View Post
Although it would never happen, I've always envisioned a movie made out of Another World with no dialogue. The only thing that grated on me with that game were some of the shootout portions where it got a bit too demanding with shooting, shield-generating and rolling bombs seeing as the gun could run out of juice.
See that's interesting because there are people who really like how the game becomes more action oriented as it progresses, not everyone though like yourself where people can fall into more than one camp. But its true some of those parts are what I was talking about before, where the difficulty level gets just insane or near impossible for most people all of a sudden. It was definitely a more naive time in games, and a time when games used to be alot harder. Player training was basically nonexistent, everyone just kinda learned by osmosis, by dying alot or because they were used to hard challenges cause that was normal.

The other interesting thing about Another World, and I'm not too sure how many people realize this or remember it, is that the game is about 20 minutes long. It is extremely short, even by Modern Warfare standards. =) Most people spend hours or days trying to beat it though because it was just so insanely hard at points. You had to die a hundred times on one point before you figure out the exact quirky timing that would get you past that screen to the next screen. I don't know if this was a developer cheat (like the designer was trying to lengthen out the gameplay by making something impossible and incomprehensible) or just a byproduct of how hard games were in that day. I always find that interesting though, the absolute frustration people would have (hitting the desk/keyboard etc) but being determined to not let it beat you. The game made you want to see the next part so much so that you'd put up with about anything.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:25 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
Yes, I noticed the price cut, and I bought early, as I helped test it, but still feel it was a good deal all things considered. And the fact the dev feels bad and has offered a return of $2 if someone feels ripped shows what a class act he is! I mean--how many times have you seen THAT!? My guess is nobody will take him up on that and it's just one more reason to support him now and down the line with his next projects as well! Can't wait to see what comes next as the bar has been set pretty high! This game's great, and I wish them well!
Thanks! Seriously if 1000 people demanded their $2 back I would do it no problem, paypal, check or whatever. Donate to a favorite charity? Something could be done.

We got you in the tester credits didn't we? I can't place online names to real names by memory. But we basically listed people as testers if they provided useful feedback, anything we could take action on to fix. Game Testing is one of those areas of development that needs to be taken very seriously, I think its an important aspect of game design. If more professionals in the industry would consider testing as serious development and design input we'd have alot better games out there.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggavelli View Post
I was iffy on this for $5 and im still iffy for $3...Those of you that have it is it worth it?Its got alot of mixed reviews everything from stunning graphics,its incredibly immersive and addictive to its a medicore flying game and its to short w/clunky controls.
???
Bought,(Dev a stand up guy)
Old 04-20-2012, 09:32 AM

rofl rofl, with waffles! From the review:

Quote:
With a game that presents such a rich-looking world, it almost felt weird to be merely collecting things in it -- I wanted to learn more about it, but I wasn't really given the opportunity.
That happens to be HOW you learn things about the world! Ha.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:52 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsidegames View Post
See that's interesting because there are people who really like how the game becomes more action oriented as it progresses, not everyone though like yourself where people can fall into more than one camp. But its true some of those parts are what I was talking about before, where the difficulty level gets just insane or near impossible for most people all of a sudden. It was definitely a more naive time in games, and a time when games used to be alot harder. Player training was basically nonexistent, everyone just kinda learned by osmosis, by dying alot or because they were used to hard challenges cause that was normal.

The other interesting thing about Another World, and I'm not too sure how many people realize this or remember it, is that the game is about 20 minutes long. It is extremely short, even by Modern Warfare standards. =) Most people spend hours or days trying to beat it though because it was just so insanely hard at points. You had to die a hundred times on one point before you figure out the exact quirky timing that would get you past that screen to the next screen. I don't know if this was a developer cheat (like the designer was trying to lengthen out the gameplay by making something impossible and incomprehensible) or just a byproduct of how hard games were in that day. I always find that interesting though, the absolute frustration people would have (hitting the desk/keyboard etc) but being determined to not let it beat you. The game made you want to see the next part so much so that you'd put up with about anything.
Yeah, there used to be a lot of games that most players just weren't able to beat. It's not that I didn't like the combat in Another World entirely, it's just that it seemed to ask more of the player than the control scheme would imply. Having a run button and somewhat realistic physics and all that. Usually
when a game is hard, it would have your standard unrealistic platformer physics and you spend most of the game fighting. I kinda felt like I'd do better than Lester if I were physically in the game whereas I wouldn't feel that way about Mario or a character like that. I think that adds something to AW, making it more of an experience, but I think it goes too far at times.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:03 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Not easy the last boss in hard mode... but I have beat it, I'm happy

Nice game. I'm impressed. Not a lot content, but a good experience
Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Now alltime-bestprice for the first time until Sunday. US$.99/0,79.

Bought it and had only some few minutes spare time to try it. Looks beautiful but I am a bit confused about gameplay. There seem to be two game modes: Looking for things and kind of combat. I am alway losing against that owl. Will dig in deeper asap for sure.