App description: Avadon: The Black Fortress HD is an epic, old school fantasy role-playing adventure, with a fascinating story and 40+ hours of gameplay. Experience huge adventures, cunning foes, hundreds of magic artifacts to find, and countless enemies of your people to hunt down.

Avadon HD is the first chapter in a new, epic fantasy saga. You will serve the keep of Avadon, working as a spy and warrior to fight the enemies of your homeland. As a servant of the Black Fortress, your word is Law. Experience an exciting fantasy role-playing adventure and battle a conspiracy to destroy your people.

Avadon: The Black Fortress Features:

Epic fantasy role-playing adventure in an enormous and unique world.
Four different character classes, with dozens of unique spells and abilities.
Uncover the fascinating history of Avadon and the land of Lynaeus.
Many different endings. Your choices will change the world.
Dozens of side quests, hidden dungeons, and secrets to discover.
Hundreds of magical items to find. Use enchanted crystals to make your artifacts even more powerful.
Huge adventure with lots of replay value.

Reviews:

"Offers a classic RPG experience. Engrossing narrative. Hours of enjoyable gameplay. 4/5" - Mac|Life
"In the end, Avadon: The Black Fortress has everything a good RPG needs. Strong story and characters, great combat, excellent quests, addictive loot and leveling and high replayability." - Inside Mac Games
"Avadon: The Black Fortress is easily one of the best RPGs you can buy. 9/10" - Digital Entertainment News
"Anybody who pines for the days of the older, massive classics and decries the state of the new streamlined, big-budget RPGs needs to put their money where their mouth is and buy this game. 90%" - RPGFan
04-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,090
Does this game have any endgame content? like farming for rare items?
04-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
Well it does please me that I am not the only one noticing the slight pauses

It does surprise me just how much it lags sometimes even on the new iPad which has more memory etc.
There's the autosave kicking in as a previous member stated. But yes, I did notice that the game does stutter when I have too many apps open or if I haven't restarted the device for a while. After a device restart, there are no problems.

04-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAdvisory View Post
Does this game have any endgame content? like farming for rare items?
Also, i have one more question to add to the above post. is there a way to go back to quests after completion of main campaign?
04-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by famousringo View Post
I believe the pause is an autosave that kicks in every several minutes of gameplay...
I'm not so sure about that. The other night I had been playing for about an hour since my last manual save when my group got wiped out. I loaded the autosave and it was long before my last manual save. Now I don't trust the autosave at all.
04-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblack View Post
... I did notice that the game does stutter when I have too many apps open or if I haven't restarted the device for a while. After a device restart, there are no problems.
I'm thinking that's my problem. I haven't restarted my iPad in quite awhile, and I always have at least three apps also running in the background. I'll do a quit and restart and see if that helps. Too bad that "Killer" app was removed from the app store. It sounds quite useful, and easier on the home button.
04-24-2012, 09:18 AM
How does this look on the new ipad? Is the text blurry or does it scale? What about the interface/graphics? If this game looks good on the ipad 3 im definitely buying it.
04-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,090
Does this game have any endgame content? like farming for rare items
Also, i have one more question to add to the above post. is there a way to go back to quests after completion of main campaign?
04-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAdvisory View Post
Does this game have any endgame content? like farming for rare items
Also, i have one more question to add to the above post. is there a way to go back to quests after completion of main campaign?
I cannot address your second question, as I have yet to finish the game. Currently back in Dhorl Stead as part of the main quest, although I have been 'diverted' via side quests.

With regards to your first question, you are approaching the game from the wrong angle. Avadon is first and foremost a story (narrative) driven game, filled with rich and convincing characters. Although you can equip your party with progressively more powerful items as you find them, Avadon does not use the same paradigm as MMORPGs (in which the RPG is purely coincidental) - or indeed, the RPG games that predominantly focus on mobs, [phat] loot and levels. Which in fact, are based on the paradigm popularised by DIKU MUDs in the mid 90s. EverQuest was the par excellence of a DIKU MUD made into a MMORPG. I loved EQ back in the day (2001/02, prior to the SoL expansion).

If you are more interested in "farming" and "rare items" (drops), then I suggest a title similar to Crimson Heart may be more suitable for you. For any affidavit, I have never played Crimson Heart - but from reading the features and the enormous thread (over 200 pages!), it does seem to fit your requirements.

Last edited by Riotgirl; 04-24-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Mixed up the wrong EQ expansions
04-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotgirl View Post
I cannot address your second question, as I have yet to finish the game. Currently back in Dhorl Stead as part of the main quest, although I have been 'diverted' via side quests.

With regards to your first question, you are approaching the game from the wrong angle. Avadon is first and foremost a story (narrative) driven game, filled with rich and convincing characters. Although you can equip your party with progressively more powerful items as you find them, Avadon does not use the same paradigm as MMORPGs (in which the RPG is purely coincidental) - or indeed, the RPG games that predominantly focus on mobs, [phat] loot and levels. Which in fact, are based on the paradigm popularised by DIKU MUDs in the mid 90s. EverQuest was the par excellence of a DIKU MUD made into a MMORPG. I loved EQ back in the day (2001/02, prior to the SoL expansion).

If you are more interested in "farming" and "rare items" (drops), then I suggest a title similar to Crimson Heart may be more suitable for you. For any affidavit, I have never played Crimson Heart - but from reading the features and the enormous thread (over 200 pages!), it does seem to fit your requirements.
i love avadon, its a very zen, calm RPG game. i already am 130 hrs into crimson heart. thanks for response tho!!
04-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayForDeath View Post
How does this look on the new ipad? Is the text blurry or does it scale? What about the interface/graphics? If this game looks good on the ipad 3 im definitely buying it.
It looks fine to me. The text doesn't scale, but it doesn't look blurry either. If you think you might want it, then get it now when it's on sale. It doesn't go on sale very often.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.