Support our Sponsors:

Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

*cough*YouShouldTryMageGauntlet*cough*
Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

So... You come to a gaming ecosystem where $10 is considered a rip-off no matter what and expect the same depth and satisfaction as Morrowind - a game which, according to Wikipedia, took a lot of people 5 years to make?

If you pardon the expression, that's wack.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:44 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I'm seeing very little to indicate what you'd consider a good story. Most WRPGs are too open-ended to have a particularly strong central narrative and plenty of people who do table top roleplaying don't really jive with JRPGs because the stories are too spelled out and wouldn't consider that actually playing a role.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 4.x

EchoSeven, it's not that I'm expecting a game on the scale of Morrowind; just better quality writing and plot than, say, Aralon. It isn't that Aralon doesn't have any writing, plot, and voice acting, just the quality is far worse than it could easily have been without significantly more time and effort put in.

Smegly, while I prefer the WRPG playstyle, a good JRPG is fine with me as well, as long as the story is solid and there's real character progression. I can't see how these are especially difficult things to add in.
Good WRPGs such as Morrowind have strong central plots but it's not a requirement that you follow it through to progress in the game.

A good story is something a little more complicated than "Kill the Godking because he's a bad dude, oh and your descendants will be doing the exact same thing" (maybe a little harsh but you see my point). Infinity Blade II at least had a plot twist.

I daresay there probably are several RPGs out there which have good story, but they also have to have good gameplay and at least "okay" graphics. Infinity Blade has the graphics, MUDs have the story, and several games have sufficient gameplay. It's games which form a cohesive whole out of those 3 which form really good RPGs, and I haven't seen any which do that really well. Backstab did all of them to some extent, as I said, and I'll try out a few others which people in this thread and elsewhere have suggested.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Agree with Echoseven, its funny what people expect now for a few dollars and theyre probably the ones to wait till its half price anyway !

Aralon is superb, cant wait for Ravensword II.

I still would love a port of Ultima IV which had basic graphics but just a huge deep storyline, graphics dont have to make these games, just huge long epic non-linear quests would be great.

Again i find it laughable how anyone can say theres no decent RPG's out or expect some huge great 3000 hour storyline from their 99c RPG they've just bought.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Agree with Echoseven, its funny what people expect now for a few dollars and theyre probably the ones to wait till its half price anyway !
Actually, a decent storyline would amount to by far the least portion of any RPG's budget. I'd even go so far as to say the extra expense would in most cases be negligible. Lack of developing funds is absolutely not the reason so many games (not just RPGs) lack a decent story and/or decent writing. And that's all the original poster was lamenting; not Morrowind-like production values in general.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin View Post
Crimson Gem Saga
Final Fantasy 1 + 2
Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL
Baldur's Gate (coming soon)
Dungeons of Dredmor (coming soon)
Avernum
Avadon
Undercroft
100 Rogues
Sword of Fargoal
Powder
Legends of Yore
Dink Smallwood
Mage Gauntlet
Secret of Mana
Swordigo
Ash 1 + 2
Chrono Trigger

Conclusion: You're wrong, there are lots of good RPGs on iOS. From this list alone you can get well over 2000 hours of gameplay. Yes, lots of these are remakes or ports, but the market is quickly growing and only promises to get better in the future. It's certainly not the "demise and doom" of RPGs or something as melodramatic as that.
kukuku... how many of these are actually ports? The op only brought up original ios RPGs in his lamentations. It only goes to show that ...there just aren't any original ios RPGs with well developed lore and plot. The meaning and essence of 'RPG' has been warped so badly in the appstore that anything with a level up window and some customization is dubbed a RPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post

Again i find it laughable how anyone can say theres no decent RPG's out or expect some huge great 3000 hour storyline from their 99c RPG they've just bought.
I suppose lore, plot and writing are just so very under appreciated/valued by most gamers nowadays that they are fine with playing in an empty world.

Last edited by violentv; 04-25-2012 at 03:59 AM..
Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Actually, a decent storyline would amount to by far the least portion of any RPG's budget.
That "least" would quite often cover the WHOLE budget of a mid-range iOS game. Good (read: accomplished) writers are far from cheap.

Sure, you could find cheap budding talent and cut various corners, but there is a huge difference in the levels of talent (and therefore cost).
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by violentv View Post
I suppose lore, plot and writing are just so very under appreciated/valued by most gamers nowadays that they are fine with playing in an empty world.
I think as theres sooooo many apps out there a lot of people just want to play a game and arent so bothered about a huge backstory or intro scene as they used to be.

Theres still a ton of variety out there, how about all the gamebooks ? Different style of game i know but a lot more detail and you use your imagination more. I would love the ultimate RPG with a huge back story and huge non-linear world but i cant see that dream RPG happening. But i cant complain as i'm spoilt with games such as Aralon, Ravensword and many others. Had 3 months of Order & Chaos addiction last year as well.

Theres lots of smaller based RPG's out there, but a lot of it is down to cost/time when it comes to huge back stories/writing etc as these devs need to sell units. Plus i think a lot of gamers move quickly from one game to the next due to the amount of games getting released weekly and the cost being so cheap so devs want to grab their attention quickly.

If you want a major RPG then its a console or PC i think, but considering how cheap iOS RPG's are i still think you get a lot for your money
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
So... You come to a gaming ecosystem where $10 is considered a rip-off no matter what and expect the same depth and satisfaction as Morrowind - a game which, according to Wikipedia, took a lot of people 5 years to make?

If you pardon the expression, that's wack.
QFT

It's one thing to want all those things mentioned; it's another to not want to pay for them.