Support our Sponsors:

Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Default Zantetsuken is FREE! (.99 > FREE)

This (Universal) innovative new slicing game from the devs of Hyperlight is free for the first time since release in April 2012.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Wow...so sad. This just happened to be released at the worst time possible (quietly among last week's Weds/Thurs stuff) and I guess it didn't get any attention. The App Store's a harsh, harsh place sometimes.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Do you get endless lives?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 AM
In Time-Out
iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Do you get endless lives?
Fun take on the endless runner with the slashing mechanic. But yeah, the endless lives are kind of out of place. As far as runners go, I think the driving force is usually to challenge yourself to get further into the game. Being able to start right on the level you died takes away some of the gratification.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Fun take on the endless runner with the slashing mechanic. But yeah, the endless lives are kind of out of place. As far as runners go, I think the driving force is usually to challenge yourself to get further into the game. Being able to start right on the level you died takes away some of the gratification.
This. This is the only thing stopping me from playing the game over and over. It doesnt really reflect my definition of "over and over."
Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Thanks for the heads-up! It's by far not so bad as the 2.0 stars rating in the U.S. store may suggest. Nice casual game.

Something different. Much to (s)wipe. Watch carefully—there are some items better not to slash/slice like platforms and those bombs. Fun attention and reaction training. Asian atmosphere. Got to level 6 in the second attempt. No IAPs as far as I can see. Universal. Runs smooth on iPad 3. Responsive controls what's very important for such a game.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Well, I haven't quite grasped the mechanics fully, but there's definitely a huuuuuge challenge in terms of the scoring system. I think the endless-lives thing is merely to allow you to experience all of the games levels and enemies, regardless of how well you do. However, every time you die, your score returns back to where it was at the last checkpoint. But I'm not clear on how checkpoints work. I got as far as a 14k score and gave up because I couldn't quite figure out at what point I get to keep the points I've earned.

As an aside, the game is both cute and beautiful. I love the way the backgrounds curve inward a la Muramasa (Wii). It's a great looking game with a very fun vibe, but the controls are hard to reconcile. There's a lot I love about this runner, but the slicing doesn't quite work when you have to keep your left thumb near that jump button. Holding my phone and controlling the game at the same time feels clumsy, and I'm just not the type of iOS gamer who's comfortable playing with my index fingers.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 AM
In Time-Out
iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyDad View Post
Well, I haven't quite grasped the mechanics fully, but there's definitely a huuuuuge challenge in terms of the scoring system. I think the endless-lives thing is merely to allow you to experience all of the games levels and enemies, regardless of how well you do. However, every time you die, your score returns back to where it was at the last checkpoint. But I'm not clear on how checkpoints work. I got as far as a 14k score and gave up because I couldn't quite figure out at what point I get to keep the points I've earned.
I can see your point. I guess since the "levels" blend together and you just immediately jump back into the gameplay, it just seems a little strange. A game like Don't Run With A Plasma Sword where there's definate beginnings and ends to the stages....it seems more natural there.