View Poll Results: What would you like to see first / is most important for the next Hero Mages update?
Asnchronous multiplayer 27 35.53%
Full singleplayer (story driven) campaign 36 47.37%
Expansion content support / player-reward system / bonus content 13 17.11%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll
App description: Hero Mages is a turn-based tactical strategy fantasy game that combines the fun of role playing games (RPGs) with competitive and cooperative cross-platform multiplayer gameplay. Designed and developed by a single individual driven to share his passion for gaming with the world, Hero Mages also blends the best elements of tabletop miniature and collectible card games.

*** GAME PLAY ***

Hero Mages is played from a top-down perspective allowing the player full visibility over the battlefield. Each player commands a party of three fantasy heroes, including a powerful mage. Equipped with a set of dice and a hand of cards representing magical spells, players take turns commanding their party of heroes. With the power to unleash the wrath of the elements, summon heinous creatures, and manipulate the world itself, the player's mage is their ultimate hero as they leverage skill, politics, and luck to eliminate their enemies and emerge victorious!

*** GAME FEATURES ***
>Multiplayer: Cross-platform, realtime, and asynchronous turn-based multiplayer are supported! Play free for all, team, and cooperative games with up to 8 players per game from all over the world!
>Six campaign missions entertain your sense of fantasy RPG humor as the precocious characters of Papillion teach you how to play this simple yet compelling game
>Over 80 diverse spells and abilities offer limitless opportunities for creative strategies and intense, climatic struggles
>6 unique playable character classes to build your offline and multiplayer battle party (Sorceress, Fighter Mage, Warrior, Paladin, Rogue, and Bard) as well as special characters encountered in the single player campaign and used by the computer.
>Expand your playable character roster and create custom levels via In-App purchases
>Quick Battle An offline, single player mode that pits the player in a randomly generated battle against the computer.
>Custom Battle An offline, single player mode that allows you to create custom battle scenarios against the computer
>Robust multiplayer statistics tracking and leaderboards
>Play on any device! Hero Mages automatically adapts to fill the screen of your iPhone and iPad.
>Rejoin Live Games Spectate live games or rejoin a game if you lose your connection

*** SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ***

I am serious about my commitment to evolving this game and I take all player feedback to heart. If you have any issues with the game, please contact me using the support website before writing a negative review (I typically respond within the hour- seriously). Your positive reviews and encouragement are what keeps me motivated to continue producing quality content. Let me hear what you have to say!

***ABOUT D20STUDIOS AND CREATOR ROSS PRZYBYLSKI***

D20Studios is a one-man team: it's just me, Ross! I am a passionate indie developer seeking to bring together the best elements of collectible card games (CCGs) like Magic the Gathering, tabletop war games like Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, and role playing games (RPGs) like Hero Quest, Dungeons and Dragons, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Hero Mages is the culmination of a vision I began nearly six years ago as a physical board game incarnation with hand-painted miniatures, custom-made cards, and a bag full of D20's. With the support and encouragement of my friends and family, I took my passion to the digital realm to bring the characters of Papillion to life and deliver a unique game that can be instantly enjoyed on your favorite mobile device.

Thanks for checking out my game! See you on the battlefield!

Vovin's comments:
This game was made by just one dev, developed over 6 years, from board game to the digital version. According to the dev it is a mix of Magic: tG, D&D, Hero Quest, Warhammer and similar board games with a huge multiplayer aspect.

I recommend you all to give it at least a little look.

PS: it is universal.

Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 4.0 or later.

Here's a DroidGamer review, you should also check out the really good designed web page (for much more reviews and all other stuff):

http://www.heromages.com

Quote:
D20 Studios developed this gem of a game and it’s pretty under-the-radar. I don’t think I would have even known about this game if DroidGamers hadn’t mentioned it before I started homing my blogging craft (which is very much a work in progress). So I decided to take the game for a spin, and I’m absolutely glad I did.

Name: Hero Mages | Developer: D20Studios | Genre: Arcade & Action | Players: up to 4 players | Version: 1.6.2 | Size: 9.5MB | Price: $2.99 (Full) |

If you’re a fan of Dungeons & Dragons, Warhammer 40K, Magic the Gathering, Risk, or table top strategy role playing games that are turn based all blended together, then you’re in for a treat.

Now before I start out with game details, I give props to the developer of this game. Having had other games in which there were issues, I have yet to have a developer work as hard as D20 studios did to make sure I was gaming. Another thing that really impressed me about D20 studios is how quick they responded to emails. I can’t really say enough about the positive experience I had with this developer. But I doubt you guys want to read my rambling words of praise. So on an ending note about the developer, you can tell that he really enjoys this type of genre of fun, and it reflects in his creation.

This game reminds me of a cross between old school Dungeons & Dragons, chess, Magic: the Gathering, 7th Saga (the Nintendo game), and (to some extent) Risk all mixed together. Controls are easy with pretty much a point and click set up. You have three characters to battle with—1 mage and 2 warriors and the battle rounds are turn based. I found that by switching up the characters you use whether you’re going for a mage, a bard, and a paladin or a warrior mage, an archer, or a warrior, you can end up with quite different results as far as how quickly you win or lose.

Then add in that you have walls and blocks that can create offensive and/or defensive areas, it’s really easy to find yourself thinking several moves ahead just like you would when playing chess or checkers. Don’t get me started when you think you have a solid setup and you lose, it’s pretty compelling to find yourself “oh yeah?! Well, I got something for you this time, Computer! Do you hear me?!”.

Spells are done through cards (spell cards) in which you can hold up to 7 at a time, so as you strategize your attacks, you can choose to keep the cards you have or discard them for other cards. Success on attack and defend is done with dice rolls. The player can choose whether the dice are actually visually thrown or not. I personally liked the visual dice roll touch. Choosing to opt out of seeing dice being ‘thrown’ does speed up game play but it’s by such a negligible amount. This isn’t the type of game you just rush through anyway. However, if you do just have a few minutes to spare and want to play this game, it does have a quick play mode.

Now the game can seem a bit confusing at first since it has a lot of depth, so I highly recommend going through the tutorial. And, by the way, the tutorial is very nicely done. Ross, the developer, made sure to throw in some pretty good humorous dialogue and character interaction during the tutorial.

As you can see, it’s a top-down 2D game. You can use the walls and blocks to your advantage as characters can’t move through objects and are limited to a 5 space move at a time. However, mages can cast attack spells (like a fireball) that comes down from the sky and the archer has the nice ability to attack from far away. The graphics are nicely done and everything is pretty colorful. In other words, it’s enjoyable to watch as you play. And, oh yeah, it has a pretty neat sound track to it also.

Invited the dev to tA...

(edit) ... and here are the videos:

Trailer 2010:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Gameplay video:

Youtube link | Pop Up
04-26-2012, 04:45 PM
You guys ready for some big news?

Hero Mages: The Board Game
http://www.gamesalute.com/?p=27537
04-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Totally cool!

Be sure to head over to BoardGameGeek to create an entry if you have t done so yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

04-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Yes! I read about it on your Twitter feed - congrats! I'm sure it's a dream come true

Cheers!
05-04-2012, 11:47 AM
FYI- I've taken the first step towards async multiplayer and successfully got the game to write game records to database. Next step will be retrieving a users game list and the ability to reload games in progress.
05-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Ross, I asked a question earlier up that it seems you did not reply to. I was wondering if, in the mode where you are just playing as the mages without the companions, if you could change it so that you can have more than one summon active at a time. That would go a long way toward giving this game that Chaos feel that it already does a pretty good job of.
05-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiccan View Post
Ross, I asked a question earlier up that it seems you did not reply to. I was wondering if, in the mode where you are just playing as the mages without the companions, if you could change it so that you can have more than one summon active at a time. That would go a long way toward giving this game that Chaos feel that it already does a pretty good job of.
Sorry I missed your question, twiccan! Ok, so interesting point you have here. This may be a possibility in the future (once I incorporate character customizations) but in the meantime adding the ability to summon multiple creatures for other mages would detract from the Summoner's primary special ability: the power to have an army of creatures on the board.

I apologize as she is not yet available as a playable character for iOS, but rest assured she is coming soon. Based on your request, I can tell she will easily be your favorite mage: http://www.heromages.com/gameInfo/he....html#summoner
05-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossD20Studios View Post
Sorry I missed your question, twiccan! Ok, so interesting point you have here. This may be a possibility in the future (once I incorporate character customizations) but in the meantime adding the ability to summon multiple creatures for other mages would detract from the Summoner's primary special ability: the power to have an army of creatures on the board.

I apologize as she is not yet available as a playable character for iOS, but rest assured she is coming soon. Based on your request, I can tell she will easily be your favorite mage: http://www.heromages.com/gameInfo/he....html#summoner
How soon aprx? :P

Favorites: Ravenmark, Chaos Rings Series, The King of Fighters, Hero Mages, Total War: Battles, Kingdom Rush, Sefirah, The World Ends With You!
Waiting for:Ravenmark new campaign!
05-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazvanGNR View Post
How soon aprx? :P
I could probably code the In-App purchases in a solid day with the ANE's, but I'm tinkering with the async multiplayer at the moment since that's been such a huge request. Was planning for major upgrade with some bug fixes, local play option, In-apps, and async multiplayer all rolled into v1.8. This might all take a month (assuming I can get some solid time to program) plus another week or so to make it through Apple review.

I'll keep you updated on my progress her on Touch Arcade as I get pieces complete. As stated above, first step towards async is done: storing game state in database. Next goal: retrieve game list and load em' up.

I've been tinkering with Hero Academy to get a feel for how the interface works. They have some solid mechanics: the 5 actions a turn and ability to undo actions is pretty sweet. I don't think this would work for Hero Mages tho because of the dice rolls (hence why I originally thought I'd do a new take on the game for async play). What I'll prob do is let players play async the same way they play live games, with the exception of two player vs. (for the first async update) and the ability to see the opponents last move animate when you rejoin the game.

One thing I found missing in Hero Academy is that you can't actually play synchronously. My brother and I tried playing a head to head game in the room together and found that we had to wait for push notifications to go through (or pop out and pop back in game) to see the update. Plus, you have to wait for the opponent's animations to take place instead of seeing them synchronously (inherent in the design of being submitting moves in blocks of 5 instead of 1 at a time).

For Hero Mages, I think it would be cool to have the option to play async with the option to "go live" if your opponent happens to be online and wants to join in. This way you could see moves being made as opponent makes them and enjoy realtime play. This might help stimulate the community more to see a higher count of active games.
05-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossD20Studios View Post

Ah, sweet! So I will just be able to play with all Summoners and then it will be alot more like Chaos. Awesome, I can't wait for those IAPs!!!
05-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiccan View Post
Ah, sweet! So I will just be able to play with all Summoners and then it will be alot more like Chaos. Awesome, I can't wait for those IAPs!!!
Same here the IAP's are the main thing I'm waiting for.