Support our Sponsors:

Old 04-26-2012, 11:51 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

All I gotta say is that if they put out anything like Dark Souls for iphone I'll be all over it. From software even hinted at developing mobile games.. I'm crossing my fingers
Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

You might enjoy Osiris Legends. It just went on sale for $1.99: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...=1#post2241213 It plays a lot like the Tales series.

The three Chaos Rings games are great.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:07 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieNZ View Post

The first RPG I ever played on any device was The Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind. To this day, it stands out as one of the best RPGs in the history of RPGs. Perhaps that meant I set the bar too high.
I think this is ur problem right here. I'm assuming you missed the golden era of Rpg gaming snes - PS... Most people know that RPGs have been a mess after then with the jump to 3d. These so called western RPGs are completely different to tradition jrpg and arpgs... Then u throw in the fps/Rpg "genre" and it all just completely different. (that or u just never played an Rpg till then, or u never owned those consoles etc...)

I feel like on iOS you probly can't get that expirience because alot of games on iOS are geared toward an audience that grew up with snEs RPGs and find a sense nostalgia with most of the 2d jrpg type games I mentioned.

As for the other games... Ur probly right I doubt there's anything as good as the elder scrolls, which was a game that changed the concept of what an Rpg is... Then games like FF 13 comeout and it's like why play this go here to here holding ur hand type game when there's games with fully immersive 3d worlds and such.(this is why ff13-2 or whatever is fruit to break away from the linear gameplay and be more like Wrpgs) Well that's what RPGs on the snes and ps felt like to us the first time..something completely new and different.

If you want something that's pushing the Wrpg trend iOS is not the place to look...and only console games for now will ever leave u satisfied.

I guess there are a few exceptions...think of Aralon like a mini version of elderscrolls and not the other way around.

As far as games like nova and deadspace those aren't RPGs or atleast not how I would define them.

Infinity blade is go from point a to point b...the fun of the game is in the sword fighting most closely reseming punch out with some Rpg elements thrown in.

And finnally you have a game like super brothers S&S which is another game pushing forward what an Rpg is the the same way Wrpgs did from jrpgs.

For me I'm really not into Wrpgs I guess because I don't like the change from the 2d era...IMO ff9 was the last good Rpg... I wouldn't say that other games to come out after that are bad just not my type of game. With exceptions I guess there's always room to try out new games while playing old classics for nostalgia. iOS's claim to fame in the world of video games is physics puzzlers and tower defense and a few other exceptions like sword and sworcery/infinity blade etc..(other things to like portable gaming and he idea of gaming being more universal with everyone as a form of media the same as music and videos and of course touch screen and gyro...but most of this isnt video game genre related) As far as a groundbreaking wrpg on iOS there's not alot besides a few copies or in the games image of console rpgs that are pretty good. Which is cool to somepeople such as casual gamers or people that just like the fact that they can play a game like that on a phone.

Last edited by Darth Ronfar; 04-26-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 04:23 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I second the nomination for Avadon. As other poster have mentioned, they [WRPG] are few and far between but they do exist - mostly for the iPad.

I will one day buy a new motherboard for my PC and get it working again (inc. new pair of speakers - the old ones are now 13 years old!), purely to play older RPGs e.g. Ultima VII, Planescape Torment (if it isn't ported to iOS), resume Morrowind - shed loads of player DLC that expand the game), Vampire:Bloodlines, resume Fallout 3, and last but not least, ME and DA.

I would recommend Farenheit if you have never played it [Pc]. Even though it is more interactive fiction - beginning, middle and a number of different endings - how the story unfolds and your interactions with other characters, makes the game one of the best pure role-playing games and certainly one of the most engrossing narratives (especially with a soundtrack composed by Angelo Badalementi) I have had the pleasure to play.

P.s. I grew up with text adventure games of the mid-80s on the C64. Alas, I was too poor to be able to afford a disk-drive and missed out on the real golden age of adventure games (Infocom and Rainbow Scrolls).

Last edited by Riotgirl; 04-26-2012 at 04:26 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
I think as theres sooooo many apps out there a lot of people just want to play a game and arent so bothered about a huge backstory or intro scene as they used to be.
Just to clarify this mistake many people make. A huge intro (or anything similar) is BAD writing, not good. Not only in games but also in movies and even books. Huge intros almost always means amateur writer.

Nobody wants huge intros nowadays, that's one more reason why a good writing/story is important.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 4.x

Darth Ronfar, while I wasn't really "around" during the SNES era, I have played a fair few JRPGs, such as most of the Final Fantasy series.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'll be getting some more itunes credit today and freeing up some space on my ipod, to try out some of your suggestions.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotgirl View Post
I second the nomination for Avadon. As other poster have mentioned, they [WRPG] are few and far between but they do exist - mostly for the iPad.

I will one day buy a new motherboard for my PC and get it working again (inc. new pair of speakers - the old ones are now 13 years old!), purely to play older RPGs e.g. Ultima VII, Planescape Torment (if it isn't ported to iOS), resume Morrowind - shed loads of player DLC that expand the game), Vampire:Bloodlines, resume Fallout 3, and last but not least, ME and DA.

I would recommend Farenheit if you have never played it [Pc]. Even though it is more interactive fiction - beginning, middle and a number of different endings - how the story unfolds and your interactions with other characters, makes the game one of the best pure role-playing games and certainly one of the most engrossing narratives (especially with a soundtrack composed by Angelo Badalementi) I have had the pleasure to play.

P.s. I grew up with text adventure games of the mid-80s on the C64. Alas, I was too poor to be able to afford a disk-drive and missed out on the real golden age of adventure games (Infocom and Rainbow Scrolls).

I second the Farenheit recomendation, although is more of an adventure game than a rpg, but it does have a rather interesting story and its pretty immersive.