Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

First of all, I'd like to thank Sean and Kris for the opportunity to get a code after the 4.3 update. I have had the chance to try out the game during this weekend, and the best I can really say about it is that I hope it is doing well, 'cause it deserves it. I've played a few levels so far, and I'm having fun with the game.

I wanted to ask/suggest something, though (if the folks that are further ahead in the game feel it doesn't detract from the experience): a button to walk slowly would be nice, especially to fine-tune the placement when around cameras and shadows. I find that the "always running" mode is useful for 95% of the times, but when you want to sneak up to a camera, it becomes a bit imprecise - at least that's my feeling so far.

Asides from that, I'm liking it a lot. Thank you very much for this great game - I've reviewed it on the iTunes store already.

Cheers,
Paulo
Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Thanks Paulo, your comments made my day.

The sales have not actually been very good at all since launch, but the idea was just to make a game with a little depth that entertained people, so support from folks here makes me feel good about it regardless.

Also I feel like Kris and I are just getting started and we'll take what we learned with this game and make better and better games in the future. We're doing some contract work for another studio now on their game, but once that gig is done we'll be back working on the next indie title of our own.

Also there's more to do to improve SpyCorp; the water levels in particular need a performance boost, and there's always room for improvement. I did have the walk vs. run move speed change in originally like you suggested, but early playtests showed that it slowed things down too much, and that slowdown is one of the things that a lot of people don't like about stealth games (although I personally like the pace changes myself). So I removed it. As far as other changes, I think I will probably add some kind of feature to unlock all levels in an update so you can skip around and try the later levels as well and their vicious robot enemies. It kind of breaks up the story, but the last 10 levels are probably the most fun to play, and it takes a while to get there otherwise.

Thanks again -- oh, and thanks for the review! I don't think Apple will post a review if you played with a code, but I'm not sure. Regardless, kind comments and encouragement mean a lot, and even harsh criticism is still helpful, as long as it's not just hate, since everything just helps us make better games in the future.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 01-16-2012, 02:44 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the honest reply. I'm sorry the game isn't doing as well as you expected - but then again, I'm confident it allows you to start creating a good portfolio of games for the future, especially with the support and love from the TA community.

I'm glad to learn that you had already considered the sneak move, and that you found that it slowed the game too much. Makes perfect sense, and as I mentioned, it was just a suggestion that occurred to me.

I agree that, if the effort isn't significant, you could add the IAP to unlock chapters - or even all the levels. If the game is well tuned - which it seems it is - it won't seem unfair.

I am currently taking more time to go through the level - all with the work and family at home, there's little time for "long gaming breaks" on a frequent basis, so I'm not expecting to progress to the later levels in the near future. Still, I'll keep going back to the game, and if something comes up, I'll definitely bring it up here.

If I have to point out minor things to improve in future projects - not necessarily for SpyCorp - I'd state the following:

- Model animations seem weird some of the times;
- 2D and 3D shows mixes don't look too good, specifically entering doors or vents;
- The animation for climbing the rope doesn't feel like a real climbing animation - can't quite place my finger on what, from memory. If I have the chance to look at it at home, I'll let you know what it is.
- If the levels are really long later, I would probably break them up or have checkpoints where people can literally close the game and come back later. iOS users don't always have 10 minutes to play the game at a time

As I mentioned, these are minor niggles, and just things for you to consider for future projects. I don't think that the effort you'll take to improve them in SpyCorp will really add much to the sales :l

I don't have much more for now - sorry for the long rambling. I'm rooting for you guys!

Cheers,
Paulo
Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Just reading through this thread has sold me on the game. Not sure how this one got by me, but I guess that happens sometimes with releases near the holidays. I'm glad the sale caught my attention, and I learned about this game.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarKitty View Post
Just reading through this thread has sold me on the game. Not sure how this one got by me, but I guess that happens sometimes with releases near the holidays. I'm glad the sale caught my attention, and I learned about this game.
The physics take a bit of getting use to, but once you do, it's a fantastic platformer. The levels get huge, and it's a VERY big game (50 levels) - definitely one of my favorites in the AppStore. =o)
Old 04-28-2012, 11:20 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

This still remains one of mine and my son's favorite games. The levels are fun and can be a bit challenging which makes it hard to put down.

The devs are super cool people, too.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn View Post
This still remains one of mine and my son's favorite games. The levels are fun and can be a bit challenging which makes it hard to put down.

The devs are super cool people, too.
I like this post. Glad to hear people are still enjoying the game!