Support our Sponsors:

Old 04-01-2012, 10:34 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Looking forward to this.

The style, and especially the rotating-circle enemy pattern really reminds me of Ikaruga
Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Send a message via MSN to DaGreen1 Send a message via Skype™ to DaGreen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Looking forward to this.

The style, and especially the rotating-circle enemy pattern really reminds me of Ikaruga
God, don't mention that game. I'm still shaking and shivering from the thought of having to switch back and forth for the bullets.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:33 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 4.x

This game looks great! Definitely has some good potential, will certainly look forward to it!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Developer

I am back on the case, I got distracted by chocolate eggs last weekend!

Yes I am still playing Ikaruga on the GameCube and watching B5 on DVD

Anyone out there with an iPad or 3rd generation iPod (min iOS 4.2) interested in trying Energy Storm before it is released?

You can sign-up for the beta here Energy Storm beta test on Test Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Looking forward to this.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Developer

I am trying to have the difficulty build up gradually so that you donít have to throw the controller across the room during the first 5 minutes! Although I am finding it hard to throw the iPod while wearing headphones

The beta will be uploaded tommorow night so you can play it for yourself.

Meanwhile here is some more artwork to share.

Enjoy!
MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGreen1 View Post
God, don't mention that game. I'm still shaking and shivering from the thought of having to switch back and forth for the bullets.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:36 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedollarhunter View Post
The beta will be uploaded tommorow night so you can play it for yourself.

FAREAKIN SWEET!!! Can't wait to start getting into this one! I'm all sorts of revved up.

BTW, that pic looks awesome. =oD
Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Goodness..ok let's see. Great concept. Good controls. But there is just too much crap floating around to be able to do anything. I honestly don't know what to tell you. Way to fast. Way too many enemies. Way too many asteroids. It's impossible to know what's going on. Menu is a tad cheesy but I can live with that. However it was quite irritating the way I was just thrown into the middle of a hellishly outnumbered battle without warning or anything. Give a 3..2..1 or something.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:17 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

hmm... well... here's my feedback;

Quote:
The controls. I'm sure that there will be players that enjoy the control set-up the way it is now, but personally, and I know there are others, because we've talked about it before in the Bullet Hell Fanatics group on TA, I tend to pick my thumb up and readjust it quite a bit when playing shmups, especially when enemies come at you from the bottom of the screen. So with that interfering with the game's color changing mechanic, it can get pretty frustrating. A button that can be used to change colors would be a fantastic addition. Kyotokei - Polarity Shooter (another iOS game) did a great job of this. I also think having another button for your charged shot would be just as great.

Of course, having this control set-up as an option would be ideal, so an options menu would be needed. And if you're going to have an options menu, you might want to also make it so that you can change the volume of both the music and the sound effect separately, as a lot of people hate playing games with the BGM, but still want to hear the sound effects. I see this as a complaint from people on the forums all the time, so you might want to make sure you can do that.

The relative touch works well, thank you for making it relative touch and not direct touch. Also, the gameplay itself is pretty hectic, which I love. Seems like right from the beginning, especially in the second stage with the Asteroids, you're thrown into the heat of battle. Awesome.

Some more ships (different enemies) might be a good idea. I don't know if you have more created for the later levels or not, but seeing the, what... 3 different types of enemies, each with 2 colors, and different sizes sounds like it might be enough, but really, most of the shmups I have on my iPod (R-Type, Earth Defense Force, Dariusburst, Absolute Instant, Kyotokei, Battle Squadron1, Storm Strikers...) have between 10 and 15 different types of enemies in the first two levels, not including mid-bosses or end of level bosses. You don't have to go all crazy like a Cave game, and have 20-30 different enemies in the first couple levels... but some more variety would be nice.

The menu's are a bit bland, maybe changing it so that the words ("credits" "high scores"...) are not just put on top of a blue background, but instead can be cycled through left to right, with a neat looking box graphic or something behind them. Or you could have them listed in the center of the screen, like the majority of other games.... or maybe list them all down the left side of the screen, in a spiffy, but readable font, and keep the blue type background, but only have it take up 1/3 of the screen, and then in the middle and right sides, have that cool graphic that you have as the background for your menu...

I dunno... I'm sure you guys will find something that looks appealing.

Other than that, I haven't come across any bugs, or crashing issues. Multitasking works, and the sound doesn't cut out or screw up when you start the game up again from the multitasking bar. The backgrounds run smooth, and nothing (graphically) has cut out, or glitched or anything while playing. The bullet patterns are nice, even though you don't really need to weave through them.

Oh yeah, one last thing...

having another mode for score attacking, or practice runs or something would be great... as well as having Easy, Normal, and Hard difficulties. Also a help/tutorial section so that you know what those little gold orbs do, and how you build up your big energy shot, and what, if anything, happens when you're building up that shot, but collect the opposite colors (did I notice it right, were the red orbs shrinking my blue energy ball?), and explaining the scoring and chains...

And GameCenter for highscores is a must for a shmup game these days.

Also, after sending this to the developers, they told me that there's 11 different GameCenter boards, and they are planning on adding achievements... However, I didn't know this, because I don't use GameCenter for TestFlight Beta Testing... =oP

Anywho, if anyone has anything to say about anything I've suggested, by all means, speak up. I don't claim to know everything about shmups... so... ladeda... =o)

*edit*

Also, about the buttons, here's the response I got;

Quote:
"I did try buttons for switching and firing but they kept ending up way to awkward to use with so much going on, especially for anyone that hasn’t already played a polarity game!"
and here's my feedback for that;

Quote:
I can understand about the control buttons... but I really think they would work well... especially if you included a deadzone at the bottom of the screen (Shogun and Cave's games do a great job with this... and Storm Striker and Techno Trancer both let you adjust the screen size by percentage, allowing for players to have as much deadzone as they'd like... but this way, the buttons wouldn't get in the way of the action. And most of the gamers that will be playing your game are shmup fans, adn are very comfortable with buttons...

I just really think it would be a good idea to include them as a second control scheme.

Soap, anything to add, go right on ahead. =o)

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 04-29-2012 at 07:25 AM..
Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

So far so good!
Just a few things I'd like to see:
When you're at the ship select screen, can you include a description of what each ships strengths/weaknesses are?

As syntheticvoid pointed out, depending on the game(and what mood I in), I sometime like to hear more sound effects than background music, the option to adjust the sound/music volume would be better than just turning it on or off.

Oh, and I agree with syntheticvoid on having a button layout for a control option, I tend to switch between my thumb and finger during game-play, so a button option would work out better for me.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Developer

Thank you for the feedback it is good to look at this with fresh eyes.

The first few waves are now much more steady with little tutorial messages to introduce the basics (switching, powering up beam, using opposite shots for double damage and chaining 3 of the same color).

The menus have had a fresh lick of pixels so should be easier on the eyes.

I might try and add arcade style buttons in a future update but for now, with the way the game engine works, I cannot scale the screen size down for a decent deadzone and I really don't want buttons on top of the game play.

I also need to figure out how to get the Music and SFX volume to work separately.

On a more positive note I did get the Game Center achievements working so expect to see those in place very soon.

Hope to have the first version out in mid May assuming Apple approve it with as many improvements included as I can find time for.

Thanks again
MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platt View Post
Goodness..ok let's see. Great concept. Good controls. But there is just too much crap floating around to be able to do anything. I honestly don't know what to tell you. Way to fast. Way too many enemies. Way too many asteroids. It's impossible to know what's going on. Menu is a tad cheesy but I can live with that. However it was quite irritating the way I was just thrown into the middle of a hellishly outnumbered battle without warning or anything. Give a 3..2..1 or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
I can understand about the control buttons... but I really think they would work well... especially if you included a deadzone at the bottom of the screen (Shogun and Cave's games do a great job with this... and Storm Striker and Techno Trancer both let you adjust the screen size by percentage, allowing for players to have as much deadzone as they'd like... but this way, the buttons wouldn't get in the way of the action. And most of the gamers that will be playing your game are shmup fans, adn are very comfortable with buttons...

I just really think it would be a good idea to include them as a second control scheme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehomer View Post
So far so good!
Just a few things I'd like to see:
When you're at the ship select screen, can you include a description of what each ships strengths/weaknesses are?

As syntheticvoid pointed out, depending on the game(and what mood I in), I sometime like to hear more sound effects than background music, the option to adjust the sound/music volume would be better than just turning it on or off.

Oh, and I agree with syntheticvoid on having a button layout for a control option, I tend to switch between my thumb and finger during game-play, so a button option would work out better for me.

Thanks!

Last edited by thedollarhunter; 05-02-2012 at 05:58 PM..