★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I bought an Android bc I wanted a new iPod Touch...

05-01-2012, 01:53 AM
#1
I bought an Android bc I wanted a new iPod Touch...

So yeah, I've been wanting an updated iPod Touch since last year, but Apple passed on updating the hardware.

My eyes are not so good, so mainly I've been wanting a Touch with a bigger screen. Then I noticed the Samsung Players, which are basically Android versions of the iPod Touch. Basically, for about $200 I got a 40GB (8GB internal plus a 32GB microSD) player with 4" screen. A 5" version is also available, but the 4" has a better quality display.

It's pretty cool. In some ways it's better than the 4th gen Touch. The microSD slot for example, and the bigger screen is really nice. It also has vibration, and an FM radio, and GPS. Nice features. Android is also really nice -- I love how you can customize the UI. It's much better than iOS in that respect. Much, much better.

I miss the app selection on iOS of course, and honestly if Apple does release an improved Touch with a bigger screen (~4.3" would be awfully nice) I would consider going back to iOS.

But I wonder if Apple will discontinue the Touch? They don't seem very interested in it anymore.
05-01-2012, 02:58 AM
#2
Well it all depends on what you use your IPod touch or galaxy player for. I am pretty certain you dont need it because it can make calls so i have to ask, why not get a ps vita? Enjoy larger screen, richer games or even cheap mini games, netflix, and other addons ? To me, switching from IOS to android is a step down. Last i heard ipod 4th gen is still capable of handling every application on apps store.

Game center : Mcelotto
Gameloft: AngelMichael

05-01-2012, 03:01 AM
#3
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Hungary
Posts: 3,956
That reasoning is sort of like "My doughnut was getting a bit dry, so instead of waiting for a new batch at the store, I got myself a piece of shit. Yummy!". Not the best analogy, but you get my point.

Anyway, I sure hope a new genetation of the Touch will be announced this fall.

I am so omniscient; if there were to be two omniscience's
I would be both!

Last edited by Balu`; 05-01-2012 at 03:07 AM.
05-01-2012, 03:54 AM
#4
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Belfast N Ireland
Posts: 2,060
I think apples done with the Touch in honesty I think it was getting very weak upgrades even when it was selling.

I'll not be replacing mine either way as it seems to have a habit of messing up my music since IOS 5, it can work fine for months and then it just starts skipping the tracks like they aren't on it but still quickly flashing the album art.

When this happens I have to waste about 3 hours taking all the music off and putting it back on so it's not even a good mp3 player these days.

I think I'll probably go the galaxy range myself or get a nice cowon player, I already have a Vita I'm very happy with for games my xbox isn't even getting a look lately.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Last edited by Teknikal; 05-01-2012 at 03:56 AM.
05-01-2012, 04:10 AM
#5
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: The red Skittle
Posts: 5,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I think apples done with the Touch in honesty I think it was getting very weak upgrades even when it was selling.

I'll not be replacing mine either way as it seems to have a habit of messing up my music since IOS 5, it can work fine for months and then it just starts skipping the tracks like they aren't on it but still quickly flashing the album art.

When this happens I have to waste about 3 hours taking all the music off and putting it back on so it's not even a good mp3 player these days.

I think I'll probably go the galaxy range myself or get a nice cowon player, I already have a Vita I'm very happy with for games my xbox isn't even getting a look lately.
That's not skipping songs - that's a problem with the album artworks, which have been partially broken since iOS 5.
Basically it can't decide what to choose quickly enough, especially if you have many songs (or NOT many, if you're a music aficionado).


I think they have to update it soon - as the iPod is their entry item into Apple. Like that first joint you sneak with a mate behind a dumpster.
I mean, uh.... what?



Need proofreading, editing or writing done for your game?
Contact me via PM or email and we can talk.
05-01-2012, 04:28 AM
#6
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Hungary
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I think apples done with the Touch in honesty I think it was getting very weak upgrades even when it was selling.

I'll not be replacing mine either way as it seems to have a habit of messing up my music since IOS 5, it can work fine for months and then it just starts skipping the tracks like they aren't on it but still quickly flashing the album art.

When this happens I have to waste about 3 hours taking all the music off and putting it back on so it's not even a good mp3 player these days.

I think I'll probably go the galaxy range myself or get a nice cowon player, I already have a Vita I'm very happy with for games my xbox isn't even getting a look lately.
Galaxy range? What the hell is wrong with you people? I mean seriously, if you want an Android-based player, the Sony nwz-z1050 looks way better.

I am so omniscient; if there were to be two omniscience's
I would be both!
05-01-2012, 06:07 AM
#7
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Belfast N Ireland
Posts: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balu` View Post
Galaxy range? What the hell is wrong with you people? I mean seriously, if you want an Android-based player, the Sony nwz-z1050 looks way better.
I'd honestly take Samsung over Sony every time except when it comes to ereaders or consoles. Would be much better supported as well when it came to apps Sony just isn't a big player in the market.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
05-01-2012, 06:58 AM
#8
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Hungary
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I'd honestly take Samsung over Sony every time except when it comes to ereaders or consoles. Would be much better supported as well when it came to apps Sony just isn't a big player in the market.
Well, two replies here.

A: Why do you prefer Samsung? I'm honestly curious.

B: It comes down to more than just brand preference here, I think. The Sony costs $280, while the Samsung costs $230 (for the 4" one), however the CPU is far superior in the Sony: a Tegra 2 (2x1Ghz) compared to a Hummingbird (1x1Ghz), and we both know how much Android needs powerful hardware. It is also a well-known fact that Sony has quite a bit more experience with portable music players, and is able to add that technology and a quick search tells me that the Walkman indeed sounds better. The only downside of the Sony model is the slightly higher price point and the fact that it's memory isn't expandable.

I am so omniscient; if there were to be two omniscience's
I would be both!
05-01-2012, 07:50 AM
#9
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Belfast N Ireland
Posts: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balu` View Post
Well, two replies here.

A: Why do you prefer Samsung? I'm honestly curious.

B: It comes down to more than just brand preference here, I think. The Sony costs $280, while the Samsung costs $230 (for the 4" one), however the CPU is far superior in the Sony: a Tegra 2 (2x1Ghz) compared to a Hummingbird (1x1Ghz), and we both know how much Android needs powerful hardware. It is also a well-known fact that Sony has quite a bit more experience with portable music players, and is able to add that technology and a quick search tells me that the Walkman indeed sounds better. The only downside of the Sony model is the slightly higher price point and the fact that it's memory isn't expandable.
Everything I own that's Samsung seems to last and be of good quality, I've got a Samsung NF110 Netbook which still give me ten hours battery even a year or so later, Microwave, TV, Camera.
I guess I just trust them as a brand (Most Sony divisions not so much in honesty).

Samsung has dual core in the player as well it isn't single core so Sony has no advantage.

Cowon sounds a lot better than them both if you are going purely on Sound quality, I have an old Samsung mp3 player as well the YP-Z5 (just checked) and it always sounded better than my iPod so Samsung isn't bad there either.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
05-01-2012, 08:09 AM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: +50° 48' 49.35", -2° 28' 28.71"
Posts: 7,483
I used to own a Samsung phone and I think it was probably the worst phone I've ever owned. It felt very cheap and poorly constructed and it had a bad user interface so it was a total bitch to get it to do what you want. I ended up attaching it to a rocket and sending it up a few hundred feet up into the air, just for the lols.

I kept my previous phone (Motorola SLVR) which still works fine to this day and is much better constructed than my Samsung was before it got smashed to bits when it fell back down to earth.

To be fair though, the Samsung was pre-android. I guess they have probably changed quite a bit since then.
I still don't trust them.

Hakuna Matata